Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). FX in amp FX loop - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

FX in amp FX loop

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 598
I remember seeing on here about not putting drive type FX in amp FX loops I have a t rex soulmate that I use delays and reverb in the loop ...it also has 2 drive pedals I was planing to use for the tone and presence controls ...just wondering iff it's safe to experiment or should I just leave it alone 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If you’re just using them for the tone controls so they’re set with minimum gain and volume boost, it’s safe - you need to avoid adding enough gain that it can feed back inside the amp, ie don’t use them to add actual drive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 598
    ICBM said:
    If you’re just using them for the tone controls so they’re set with minimum gain and volume boost, it’s safe - you need to avoid adding enough gain that it can feed back inside the amp, ie don’t use them to add actual drive.
    Thanks ...so just don't use the gain controls but any tone controls are ok ? 
    Am I alright adding a little gain or should I be using none at all I'm not sure iff that needs turned up a touch before it will even work ? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Barney said:

Am I alright adding a little gain or should I be using none at all I'm not sure iff that needs turned up a touch before it will even work ?
    Keep the gain/drive right off if you can, and just use the volume - up full is OK - and EQ. If you add distortion with the pedal it’s harder to tell how much more gain it’s giving. If the volume is up full you can safely add gain to bring it up to unity if it’s below that (or doesn’t work at all) though. As long as the pedal isn’t adding more gain than a simple clean boost pedal would, it will be fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BarneyBarney Frets: 598
    ICBM said:
    Barney said:

Keep the gain/drive right off if you can, and just use the volume - up full is OK - and EQ. If you add distortion with the pedal it’s harder to tell how much more gain it’s giving. If the volume is up full you can safely add gain to bring it up to unity if it’s below that (or doesn’t work at all) though. As long as the pedal isn’t adding more gain than a simple clean boost pedal would, it will be fine.
    Thanks very much ...I will have a go at this today :)