Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Low E string on Jag won't intonate - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Low E string on Jag won't intonate

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
All others are fine, tried various strings, it is sharp, saddle is as far back as it can go, really irritating me!

Ideas please, cheers.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    What make is the guitar?

Does it have a proper Jaguar bridge or, for example, a Tune-o-Matic?

What string gauges do you use?

Have your checked that the nut slots are well cut and free of grot?

I'm assuming that you have a Fender Floating Vibrato system (or replica) rather than the Squier Jaguar HH with its Danelectro lookalike or a Jag-Stang with its Mustang vibrato.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    It's a Squier VM, 10 gauge, I'll take a look at the nut later on, I've put a Mustang bridge on, trem works well returns pretty much bang on pitch every time
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Duff or old string + possibly the pick-up is to close to the string and not helping the situation - Otherwise as per Funkfingers comments
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    It's a Squier VM
    I know the hardware. 

The critical detail with a bridge that rocks is that, at the zero point, the assembly should sit vertically on its screws above the "thimble" inserts.

It is my habit to restrict the freedom of the bridge to wander off axis by a combination of nylon washers seated in the top of the "thimbles" and rubber tubing down inside around the screws.

The bridge remains free to waggle when the vibrato is used but it can not lose its zero point.

10 gauge
    I'd go with elevens on a Jag but that's just me.

Shimming the neck up a bit helps to stabilise the system by increasing the break angle over the saddles towards the string anchors.

If in doubt, Google for Mike "Puisheen" Adams set-up articles or video presentations. Plenty of tips and tweaks to get your guitar into the best possible order without spending too much money.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2781
    Jon take it to Heywood , Dennis the guitar doctor will sort for sure. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    11s are the minimum on a Jag for a good set-up in my experience, or you do tend to get intonation problems. The Mustang bridge may not help since the saddles are slightly larger than the proper Jag ones.

If you can’t get it quite right but it’s very close, shim the end of the neck pocket - the actual end, not the bottom - that will move the neck further away from the bridge, which is effectively the same as moving the saddle backwards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    ICBM said:
    11s are the minimum on a Jag for a good set-up in my experience, or you do tend to get intonation problems. The Mustang bridge may not help since the saddles are slightly larger than the proper Jag ones.

If you can’t get it quite right but it’s very close, shim the end of the neck pocket - the actual end, not the bottom - that will move the neck further away from the bridge, which is effectively the same as moving the saddle backwards.
    Will definitely give that a go thanks
    "OUR TOSSPOT"