Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Concentric volume pot on a Revstar possible? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Concentric volume pot on a Revstar possible?

What's Hot
I know almost nothing about what's possible electronics wise with a guitar, so I'd much appreciate a little advice. I really like the look of the Revstar professional dual humbucker models, but I've had twin humbucker guitars in the past with a 1 volume/1 tone pot layout in the past and really missed 2 separate volume pots.

The Revstar has a 5 way switch with 2 interesting out of phase options plus a push/pull pot which rolls off some eq from the top end and gives a 6db boost. Given the (I assume) complexity of this wiring, would it even be possible to install a dual concentric volume pot? Or add an extra volume pot? If it meant sacrificing the dry switch I'd be fine with that since I think having independent volume control would be a lot more useful to me than the boost.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Do you need the tone pot or could you swap that to be the other volume control?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • drippycatdrippycat Frets: 124
    edited October 2023
    mrkb said:
    Do you need the tone pot or could you swap that to be the other volume control?
    Yes, I'd be prepared to do that if it would work with what's already in there, & thanks for the suggestion. That's 'if' it was possible what with all the relatively fancy switching options.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Concentric stacked pots are a bugger to operate quickly under time pressure. e.g. On stage, under less than ideal lighting conditions, in front of an audience.

I am perfectly happy to use stacked knob controls on a bass guitar. These are usually the onboard EQ controls. Changes would occur between songs rather than during.

As already suggested, repurposing the second pot to be an independent volume control for one of the humbuckers is a more practical approach.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    drippycat said:
    I know almost nothing about what's possible electronics wise with a guitar, so I'd much appreciate a little advice. I really like the look of the Revstar professional dual humbucker models, but I've had twin humbucker guitars in the past with a 1 volume/1 tone pot layout in the past and really missed 2 separate volume pots.

The Revstar has a 5 way switch with 2 interesting out of phase options plus a push/pull pot which rolls off some eq from the top end and gives a 6db boost. Given the (I assume) complexity of this wiring, would it even be possible to install a dual concentric volume pot? Or add an extra volume pot? If it meant sacrificing the dry switch I'd be fine with that since I think having independent volume control would be a lot more useful to me than the boost.
    Adding an extra vol: I'd go with no. I'm pretty sure the control cavity of a Revstar has a large ridge in the middle, between the vol and tone pots - so routing for another control without it looking like a hatchet job may be difficult.

An alternative option, based on @Funkfingers comment on concentric pots not being easy to use on stage, is to wire a concentric pot to act as a volume pot and a tone pot. Your original volume control could operate for the neck pickup, and the concentric pot could operate as a bridge volume and a master tone. I've never wired that specific arrangement myself, but don't see why you couldn't do it. This would work well if you weren't much of a tone knob user - you could leave that in position and just need to adjust the volume part of the knob.
    @Funkfingers and @nacnudnai ;
    Thanks very much for the suggestions. The idea of the tone pot being converted to a dualcentric vol/tone pot would be perfect since I play with the volume a lot more than the tone.
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    drippycat said:
    @Funkfingers and @nacnudnai ;
    Thanks very much for the suggestions. The idea of the tone pot being converted to a dualcentric vol/tone pot would be perfect since I play with the volume a lot more than the tone.
    I must have had a brain fart earlier when I spoke about the vol/tone pot possibly being doable - of course it's doable, they do it on Jazz Basses!

It would be a slightly different circuit it with it acting as a master tone, but should be easy enough to wire up.

Good luck with whatever you decide for your Revstar - they are great guitars. I'm sure there'd be plenty of us who could knock up a wiring diagram for you if need be.
    Aw thanks! Love this forum!