Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What is it and what is it worth? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What is it and what is it worth?

What's Hot
SargeSarge Frets: 2221
So a friend is looking to move on her late father's LP and doesn't want to get short changed.
Not being an LP guy I've little idea, so can you chaps help? 
what model, year and rough value would you say?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    Nice colour. :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    No idea what specific LP model it is but I found this online 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
    Yes it is a 2003 LP Standard - From 2002 until around 2006, this series will have a strong following amongst LP fans - First time really that Gibson made the LP Standard with more of a 'vintage' flavour - Not R9 CS replicas as such - But headstock angle, paf based pick-ups, figured top, thinner body binding - A private sale could fetch £1500-1800 with case and assuming the frets are clean and everything else is okay
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    @guitars4you is spot on. Really nice Standards. 

They came with a choice of 50s (fat) and 60s (thin) necks - savvy buyers will want to know which one this is but that should affect value. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you is spot on. Really nice Standards. 

They came with a choice of 50s (fat) and 60s (thin) necks - savvy buyers will want to know which one this is but that should affect value. 
    Correct on the neck profile 
    can sometimes tell by the feel if you’ve handled enough 
    Otherwise look in the pickup cavity and you often find a code that infers 50,a or 60,s

plus it will have a code for the finish 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    edited October 2023
    Very nice flame top on it too. Plus, I think that might have had an upgraded bridge and stopbar.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • I'd punt it at £2k and be realistic with offers. It's in good condition for a close to 20 year old guitar. Providing it comes with its original case and any original bits that may have been swapped out
  • If you can. Stick on  a new set of strings, set intonation and give all the chrome a good clean/polish up whilst the old uns are off. That will help get the most value out of the guitar.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2221
    Thanks for all the help guys, very much appreciated indeedy! 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    edited October 2023
    That bridge looks right to me alongside the pups and tuners.

It all looks like nickel rather than chrome, so polishing will only do so much. FWIW many people (myself included) prefer the look of dulled nickel over shiny chrome.

Very nice guitar. IIRC there was quite a hullabaloo when the 2002 models were released. Were I in the market for a modern Standard, it's a 2002 spec I'd be after.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    BigPaulie said:

It all looks like nickel rather than chrome, so polishing will only do so much. FWIW many people (myself included) prefer the look of dulled nickel over shiny chrome.

Very nice guitar. IIRC there was quite a hullabaloo when the 2002 models were released. Were I in the market for a modern Standard, it's a 2002 spec I'd be after.
    oh fair enough, I thought they would have had chrome bits on them as standard. I agree, looks better with the dull nickel 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    BigPaulie said:

Yep all of this. It's definitely nickel on that model - I remember the marketing making a big fuss about it as the previous ones had chrome. 

FWIW I'd get the frets polished but leave the hardware as-is. It'll never look new anyway
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    BigPaulie said:

agree 

Interesting that come 2002, Gibson did so much to get the LP Standard right as a production model - Then come 2006 and onwards, they did so many changes that destroyed the heritage of that small era - That era has many followers when it comes to owning/buying an LP
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    This was the last time that the Les Paul Standard was actually a Standard. That spec is now the Traditional. I’m not a fan of corroded nickel, but a lot of people do like it.

They also got it right for the pickguard sceptics by not factory-fitting it, although there should be one (and the screws) included if I remember rightly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SargeSarge Frets: 2221
    This has now been listed here for sale.
    go on, you know you want to ;) 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/255266/wts-2003-les-paul-standard?new=1