Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Triple NGD! (Oops) - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Triple NGD! (Oops)

hasslehamhassleham Frets: 569
edited October 2023 in Guitar
Okay, so they didn’t all arrive on the same day, but I was meaning to make a thread about finally putting my walnut necked project back together (following on from this thread http://https//www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/252724/mystery-rosewood-walnut-neck-dried-out-walnut#latest) and in the meantime I’ve *accidentally* acquired two other very tasty guitars which also each deserve a NGD post, so here you go.

First up, the mystery partscaster from Manchester Guitar Show now has a freshly oiled neck and semi working electrics! It had a nasty, yellowed pearlescent scratchplate on when I bought it, but thankfully I found a nice mint green one on a different stall at the Manchester show, which I think looks way better. It’s looking very pretty now but the electrics and setup need tweaking. Really happy with how the tru oil finish on the neck turned out.

Next up.. As i mentioned, this was bought completely by accident; I don’t like red guitars, I don’t like relics, I don’t need another strat..

However, I had heard really good things about them, and there it suddenly was on facebook, for an undeniably good price and looking inexplicably stunning despite not being to my usual taste. I can confirm it also plays and sounds as good as it looks! 

1989 Stratocaster Deluxe Plus, refinished red over white. All original apart from the paint/relic job. Lovely checking in the lacquer all over, neck and frets flawless, the most stratty sounding strat i’ve ever owned! 

And finally.. Another accidental purchase from facebook which was too good to pass up! I’ve had my eye out for a Carvin for ages ever since seeing videos of Jason Becker playing them. I’ve always loved the finishes on Carvin guitars, and really liked the look of the thru neck design, and this one certainly doesn’t disappoint..

Carvin DC400 

Built some time in the 90s (i think) - In really nice condition for it’s age.. Stunning top, lovely thick slab of flamed maple. MASSIVE stainless steel frets. It’s got replacement pickups in which sound huge but I haven’t actually checked what they are yet as I haven’t stopped playing it. The neck is an absolute dream for shreddy stuff - everything feels so controlled and easy to play on it! Also i’m really impressed by the tuning stability even after being heavy handed with the trem arm. It’ll divebomb and flutter really easily without losing tuning. None of the mini switches are wired up at the moment as the original active carvin pickups are not present, so maybe a little work to do there at some point.

Really chuffed with these!! Will definitely be gigging the strat DX as the tone is perfect for the stuff my band plays. Hopefully i’ll get a chance to play live with the Carvin too but it’s more of a rock/metal machine so need to persuade the band to do a few new covers.

I’m not sure about the walnut necked strat yet - I really enjoyed treating the neck and putting it all back together but the electronics still need some attention so will need to get that sorted before passing judgement!

Group shot:

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Wooooaah!!! Very nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2781
    Quality. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited October 2023
    That's a very cool trio of guitars.

I had a Strat Plus Deluxe like that with a maple board, I wonder what colour yours was originally?  @hassleham are the tuners Sperzels, or Schallers?
  • Beautiful trio. I especially love that mystery caster. Wonderful color combo with the dark neck. Enjoy them all.
  • NightswanNightswan Frets: 1142
    Lovely pieces for sure. The Carvin is he stand out one for me....Wow!!!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I'm a massive Strat Plus fan, and like you I'm not much of a relic-lover.  But that one is luuuuuuuuuurvely and pulls all of my chains.  I see it still has the Wilkinson roller nut fitted to those earlier models - many owners (including me) swapped them out for the LSR retro-fit kits so it's nice to see an unmolested one.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 569
    Offset said:
    I'm a massive Strat Plus fan, and like you I'm not much of a relic-lover.  But that one is luuuuuuuuuurvely and pulls all of my chains.  I see it still has the Wilkinson roller nut fitted to those earlier models - many owners (including me) swapped them out for the LSR retro-fit kits so it's nice to see an unmolested one.
    Interesting - I think I read that they upgraded the nut on the 90s models. Is the LSR kit a worthwhile upgrade? I haven’t had a problem with the tuning so far, although i haven’t done a full 2 hour show with it yet.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    hassleham said:
    Offset said:
    Interesting - I think I read that they upgraded the nut on the 90s models. Is the LSR kit a worthwhile upgrade? I haven’t had a problem with the tuning so far, although i haven’t done a full 2 hour show with it yet.
    It probably isn't worth replacing the Wilko nut unless you have issues with it - which I did on my '89 model.  The bloody thing rattled and buzzed incessantly and when I took it to a tech, I was told it was a common issue and the LSR retro kit was a common upgrade.  I presume that's why Fender started shipping Pluses with the LSR as standard.  So that's where I went, and haven't looked back in 30 years.  As you can see, it came with a neat filler/shim behind the nut to compensate for the extra width of the Wilko item.  The guitar keeps nigh-on perfect tune.

Strat nut.jpg 812.9K
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    they are all really nice HNGD
    Don't touch that dial.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 569
    Philly_Q said:
    That's a very cool trio of guitars.

I had a Strat Plus Deluxe like that with a maple board, I wonder what colour yours was originally?  @hassleham are the tuners Sperzels, or Schallers?
    Sorry, missed this! They are sperzels.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Superb haul! They all look great.