Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tapping Tips? Now with video!! - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tapping Tips? Now with video!!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Just for you @digitalkettle !! 

5 weeks till the gig and I'm pretty happy with progress. I might even get closer to the original for the middle passage if I can

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Just for you @digitalkettle !! 

5 weeks till the gig and I'm pretty happy with progress. I might even get closer to the original for the middle passage if I can

A fine effort!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    Cheers! I'm not fully "happy" yet but I'm happy so far, if you know what I mean. There's a lot to tidy up and I would love to get a little bit fancier in the middle but for only a couple of nights' proper workshopping it's almost good enough to go and gig. Looking forward to it now! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795

If was in the crowd listening to a band cover Beat It,I would be expecting to get short changed on the guitar solo and I wouldn’t have felt that with what you played here. And as you say, it’s early days. Your going to delight some punters with this!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cheers bud, that's the plan! It's a battle of the bands after all... 

This is the most I've practiced in frickin years...! I'm now fully on guitar duties after the other guy dropped out and we found an full-time bassist, so I want to make the right impression :D 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    edited October 2023
    I’m struggle loads with trying to get the harmonics to pop at the very beginning - have about a 1 in 10 hit rate. I must be doing something wrong!
    Lewy said:
    I’m struggle loads with trying to get the harmonics to pop at the very beginning - have about a 1 in 10 hit rate. I must be doing something wrong!
    I found this is very rig-dependent. My SG with 10s works miles better than my 336 with 9s, even though the latter is more resonant and the lighter strings should (I think) make it easier. 

The middle passage is the main pen I’m iffy on at the moment. What I’m doing is WAY simpler than the proper line, so we’ll see if I can get it a bit closer over the next week
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Yea it's definitely passable. Well done. The tapping section sounds like it's missing a note, it's probably just the rhythm but that's what I'd work on. But based on the progress you've made I don't think you've got anything to worry about. You're gonna smash it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Nice one @stickyfiddle! Close enough, and great for such a short amount of practice. In 5 weeks you'll totally smash it. Just need to work on Eddie's annoying habit of doing it whilst grinning like it's no big deal ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    edited October 2023

Nice one @stickyfiddle! Close enough, and great for such a short amount of practice. In 5 weeks you'll totally smash it. Just need to work on Eddie's annoying habit of doing it whilst grinning like it's no big deal

That is 100% the plan... And there's the nice long chuggy bit to get myself into a good spot on the stage too D 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I think it sounds fine @stickyfiddle ; ... pretty much all there. If I was being fussy I would say work on the ascending Em climb  so it sounds fast but consistent.
    I think EVH ends it bent slightly flat ... I suspect he was out of frets and bending the C# up to E but not quite getting there. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Yep I agree with that. Plenty of little bits to work on to really tighten up and get all the little inflections sounding polished, and a few more pinch harmonics for good measure. I’ll post another vid nearer the time - that should keep me honest! 
  • Depending on how you think about it, tapping can provide much...

As a piano player, this bit of fun thing (that I only really play at the guitar shows because this is the kind of thing people want), is pretty much a straight transfer of piano playing technique.

Guitarists think this is incredible.

Any piano player will look at it and think it's about grade 3...

Teacher, musician, corporate trainer, researcher, freelance human being, cultural explorer, self-styled 'progressive thinker', and generally an enthusiastic, peaceful idealist. Run the Contemporary Guitar Performance Workshop education project and the Audio Design Workshop studio. Online guitar and piano/keyboard lessons available over Zoom/Skype. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited October 2023
    Depending on how you think about it, tapping can provide much...

As a piano player, this bit of fun thing (that I only really play at the guitar shows because this is the kind of thing people want), is pretty much a straight transfer of piano playing technique.

Guitarists think this is incredible.

Any piano player will look at it and think it's about grade 3...

If that's the case it just shows their ignorance. The finger strength and technique required to do that this cleanly takes years to get to that level on the guitar even if takes less on the piano. 

That’s dead good man, well done  ,excellent