Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Feline : More Blues-Cat models in the pipeline - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Feline : More Blues-Cat models in the pipeline

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
edited October 2023 in Guitar tFB Trader
The blues-cat is our take on an upscaled guitar based on the a Junior/Cub DNA but with a pair of pickups .
We did some lavish ones in the past but this time have some more workman like examples coming through - they have some chambering and will clock in at a relatively comfy weight. 
We tried out a different control layout to put one of the controls within easy reach - currently configured for bridge volume (but could be swapped to neck volume if that appeals more.
All access neck joint as always
One of each pair has a mahogany top, and the other has some lightly figured maple 

Firstly we have a pair with P90 pickups 

Then we did the same again with Humbuckers - we used BKP Mules on these as it was such a good sounding classic pickup- we have a partial tap on these like PRS does so you get a little more than just one half of each pickup when tapped, and it sound more like a “Fender-y" single coil

At thispoint we are still open to colour ideas as it will be a while before we can get them through the paintshop.
We did wonder if a goldtop might look nice on one of the mahogany topped ones, while the flamed maple ones do call out for a burst or a translucent colour.

What do you think?
Answers on a postcard…….
Sales enquiries to www.felineguitars.com

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    I love the fiery red and ambers, dragon blood burst. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 239
    I'm always impressed at how you get them to hang sideways...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 607
    Translucent cherry red would look great on the mahogany.
    Probably on the maple too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Burgundy mist metallic has to be used somewhere here!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Many years ago there was a guitar builder/repairer in Stourbridge who’s name completely escapes me now but one of the things he did was refinish a Gordon Smith GS2 as a gold top that was then put up for sale. That sort of darker gold that has a greenish hint to it. I loved the look of that guitar, understated but, y’know, gold. I looked at it a lot and was quite annoyed with myself when someone else bought it. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Pelham Blue, natural back, cream rings, amber reflectors.  Yum!
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    I have to admit, I like the look of the maple-capped humbucker guitar just as is! I'd go for a translucent colour on those - a lighter yellow or blue.

Any road up, they're lovely looking guitars. Nice one :)
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1555
    Yeah, Pelham Blue or Inverness Green would be banging
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I can see one of those in Graffiti Yellow.
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    Translucent on the maple ones for sure.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    They look mighty fine as they are tbf but +1 for Pelham blue. Like the new controls layout too. It’s a surprisingly big visual change and a good one imho. Might have missed it but is it 2 volumes/taps plus 1 tone?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    Yes - we have 2 vols and one tone like on an explorer or Flying V. Tone on the HB guitars has a push pull to access coil splits which are via resistors to earth so it keeps a little of the removed coil to give a better split sound and yielding a DCR on the split Mule pickup of 5-6.5 kohms

Control layout take influences from some 60s Hofners too I suspect as well as ESP Eclipse or maybe 70s BC Rich (albeit in a line)

Compare that with the layout we have used on the droptops which I love equally

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I am not sure why those posters on here who can afford to splash out occasionally on an expensive Gibson,Fender et al don't look at the likes of Feline,Trent,Daniel's Guitars,Golden Era instead. They seem much more bang for your buck and the builders are directly contactable. These Felines look great and while I am not an offset fan Trent Guitars look excellent too. They are all out of my price range but I would consider one if they ever weren't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I am not sure why those posters on here who can afford to splash out occasionally on an expensive Gibson,Fender et al don't look at the likes of Feline,Trent,Daniel's Guitars,Golden Era instead. 
    How do you know they don't? It's not as if regulars here aren't aware of the builders you mention (to which you could add Ivison too).
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Yes - we have 2 vols and one tone like on an explorer or Flying V. Tone on the HB guitars has a push pull to access coil splits which are via resistors to earth so it keeps a little of the removed coil to give a better split sound and yielding a DCR on the split Mule pickup of 5-6.5 kohms

Control layout take influences from some 60s Hofners too I suspect as well as ESP Eclipse or maybe 70s BC Rich (albeit in a line)

Two knobs and a clear gloss finish and I'll have one of those (at some point).

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited October 2023
    I would want the top one just as it is but with the body darkened a bit in a deeper mahogany shade while still showing the grain.  It's a simple elegant design that I would want left "earthy" and unadorned by bursts or brighter colours.

I would like to see the 2nd one down, with the figured (but not tiger-striped) maple top, finished in a really deep shade of translucent blue and with a subtle gradient towards a lighter shade of the same colour in the centre.

I would like to see the one with the tiger stripe flame top finished in deep fiery Autumnal shadings and with a more pronounced multi-hue sunburst, but not as stark as a Gibson cherry burst.
  • I am not sure why those posters on here who can afford to splash out occasionally on an expensive Gibson,Fender et al don't look at the likes of Feline,Trent,Daniel's Guitars,Golden Era instead. 
    How do you know they don't? It's not as if regulars here aren't aware of the builders you mention (to which you could add Ivison too).
    Probably because of the amount of complaints in posts about Gibson,Fender et al.
    I am glad if people do buy from the custom builders mentioned though.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    edited October 2023

Compare that with the layout we have used on the droptops which I love equally

I love the drop top control layout, do a 24 fret version with Mules and I may just put a deposit down now.