Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD - Vintage vibes - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD - Vintage vibes

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
in Guitar tFB Trader
I wasn’t going to “announce” this but it is meant to be my new toy after all. 

I decided it was about time to make myself the Strat that I’ve wanted for years and with the majority of the parts already here I set about to make it happen. I’m a sucker for a 3 tone burst, I like the near enough opaque ones although I know these divide opinion (but hey.. doesn’t EVERYTHING these days?).

I haven’t treated this build any differently to the work I’d do for a customer and I think that’s why I’m so happy with how it’s turned out. 

It has all the usual GE appointments with the 62 style pickups coming from Montys. Ernie Mcmillen handled the fret levelling, bone nut, wiring and final QC so if I decided to sell it I can honestly say it’s been given the full works.

This is also my preferred level of ageing, I’m not a believer that missing paint for the hell of it shows that a guitar is “old” or “has a story”. This guitars story starts now. If anything, it is the quintessential Golden Era build - just enough ageing to get it started but not so much that it detracts from the finished piece. 

So, happy new guitar day to me. 

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    A lovely burst nice and bright with subtle ageing looks terrific. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    64/65 vibes. Looks great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Looks fantastic and I'm sure it plays the same! Were the opaque bursts more of a late 60s/70's thing? I'm sure I see more of them with big headstocks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Looks fantastic and I'm sure it plays the same! Were the opaque bursts more of a late 60s/70's thing? I'm sure I see more of them with big headstocks.
    Fender started knocking out more opaque bursts from the early/mid 60s as the wood became less attractive (it was also to hide joins).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Very classy work, like that a lot. Happy NGD Scott. 
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Such a classic look. Awesome.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    Fantastic guitar!!!
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2002
    Stunning work as always @GoldenEraGuitars ;
    tFB Trader
    Thank you all. I really should plug it in a give it a rattle through the Vox. Haven’t had the time at all this weekend 
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    I saw you’d stuck photos of that on instagram. Its lovely. I love the way it looks like a NOS guitar, it looks like it was left in the back of a long closed down music shop and recently rediscovered. It’s ace. Fender really miss a trick just doing the relic shit they do.  
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Looks great, with aged hardware too, it'll have a v nice vibe
    tFB Trader
    Penn said:
    I saw you’d stuck photos of that on instagram. Its lovely. I love the way it looks like a NOS guitar, it looks like it was left in the back of a long closed down music shop and recently rediscovered. It’s ace. Fender really miss a trick just doing the relic shit they do.  
    That’s kind of what I was going for. I will eventually make myself a full on aged Strat most likely lake placid blue or oly white. But I wanted this one to look like it had maybe been kept in a house or a studio all it’s life.. or like you said rediscovered in the back of a music shop. There are a lot of tanked old guitars out there, but there’s a lot of well kept ones too. The idea for this one is to let the hardware and neck age gracefully over time, I’ve given the body a head start of course.