Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Nash telecasters - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Nash telecasters

What's Hot
LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
Got my eye on a Nash telecaster and very close to buying it. It's second hand so a fair bit cheaper than new. And it also has a finish that you can only get on CS Fender models. And despite what anyone says about setup or parts or necks, we all know that colour is the no.1 thing we all go for!

Anyone here with any experience of Nash teles? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• All of them I have tried have been good, though maybe a little vanilla. 

The law of averages says that there must be some of them that turn out exceptional, though none of the ones I tried were. 

The relicing is a bit OTT and the necks have a weird lacquer tint, but they look decent enough.

If it’s second hand and cheap enough, and you think you could move it on again for close to what you paid for it, then go for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    LPManic said:
    Got my eye on a Nash telecaster and very close to buying it. It's second hand so a fair bit cheaper than new. And it also has a finish that you can only get on CS Fender models. And despite what anyone says about setup or parts or necks, we all know that colour is the no.1 thing we all go for!

Anyone here with any experience of Nash teles? 
    What the finish?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Not sold one for a couple of years now, but everyone I've sold has been good - Maybe not CS outstanding, but certainly good and far more affordable especially when you can buy a used version 

I probably tend to agree with @Seziertisch 's comments above
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Good, some very good, but usually not better than Fender CS imho.
  • I think if they were sold for less than they seem to be - I'd recommend them more often. But they often seem to be up there with CS prices, and I'm not convinced that's justified. Pickups are probably Lollars, so you'll be OK there, and if the colour is good, then great. I've never had an issue with how the guitars play - mostly just the price.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited October 2023
    They usually use Lollars, bolted to good wood via good hardware, so they sound good. 

My issue is that they always feel very square-edged and with nowhere near enough attention paid to fretboard edges and fret dressing. That defeats the point of relics for me. 

But if that doesn’t bother you or if you are happy getting it sorted yourself then they’re good enough guitar, at least at used prices
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    What the finish?
    Pink paisley.

And as someone else said it has lollars.
  • LPManic said:
    What the finish?
    Pink paisley.

PAISLEY IS A MUST BUY. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 387
    I have a few decent guitars and my Nash tele may well be the one I’ll keep forever.  I sold my CS strat after.  Then bought a Nash strat and didn’t bond in the same way, so it’s down to the individual instrument (same as any maker I guess).  Neck on my T63 is smooth well rolled and frets are great.  Plays jazz, blues and rock beautifully and it’s built like a tank coz it’s tele.  
    tFB Trader
    LPManic said:
    What the finish?
    Pink paisley.

It’s been a while since I’ve played one but I had access to a number of them a few years back. Staying as objective as possible I wasn’t a fan, there was a lack of finesse which was consistent on each one I played. Being somewhat picky I’d have to be further honest and say that their paisleys are a far cry from the original fenders (if that’s what they’re going for). The pattern isn’t the same and the 2 I saw in person had some weird frosted glass effect clear coat on them similar to this -

For the money, I wasn’t impressed. But I was looking at brand new ones which were about £2500 at the time. But those are my opinions, someone else may look at these and think they’re the absolute nuts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've got one (pre-logo so it could be almost 20 years old), early 50s blackguard style with lollar pickups. To be honest, I haven't tried a bunch of teles in my life but I loved this one from the first strum and at 6.5lbs it's the lightest guitar I've ever played. It's reliced without checking on the finish, just dings and stuff so not as realistic as the golden-era ones I've seen but on par with the fender custom shops one.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 569
    I had one which i took a bit of a punt on in a trade on here and it was really nice and the lollar pickups sounded awesome. No complaints from me at all. However i’ve never played a CS tele so can’t compare them.
    LPManic said:
    What the finish?
    Pink paisley.

It’s been a while since I’ve played one but I had access to a number of them a few years back. Staying as objective as possible I wasn’t a fan, there was a lack of finesse which was consistent on each one I played. Being somewhat picky I’d have to be further honest and say that their paisleys are a far cry from the original fenders (if that’s what they’re going for). The pattern isn’t the same and the 2 I saw in person had some weird frosted glass effect clear coat on them similar to this -

For the money, I wasn’t impressed. But I was looking at brand new ones which were about £2500 at the time. But those are my opinions, someone else may look at these and think they’re the absolute nuts. 
    Thanks for the input. Strangely I prefer this more faded finish on the Nashs compared to the more strikingly pink Fender finishes. My head is definitely turned by them. My only other pink paisley option is the MIJ Fenders so not sure which would be best. Or indeed building my own. As always I'm giving myself another week at least to see if the GAS subsides.... who am I kidding? Ha!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    @LPManic its not only the faded appearance, as such. When you see it in person it’s literally as if someone has laid a sheet of frosted glass over them. I was intrigued when I first saw them a few years ago. I’m not sure why they’ve done that to them. But it certainly gives them a distinct look. 

This has put me in the mood for paisleys now so I’m off to do a few of my own :)
  • @LPManic its not only the faded appearance, as such. When you see it in person it’s literally as if someone has laid a sheet of frosted glass over them. I was intrigued when I first saw them a few years ago. I’m not sure why they’ve done that to them. But it certainly gives them a distinct look. 

This has put me in the mood for paisleys now so I’m off to do a few of my own :)

I was going to say that you've done a few yourself. Maybe a nice photo wouldn't go amiss on this thread...
    tFB Trader
    @LPManic its not only the faded appearance, as such. When you see it in person it’s literally as if someone has laid a sheet of frosted glass over them. I was intrigued when I first saw them a few years ago. I’m not sure why they’ve done that to them. But it certainly gives them a distinct look. 

I was going to say that you've done a few yourself. Maybe a nice photo wouldn't go amiss on this thread...
    Been quite a while since I’ve done one, I’m making a point of doing more from now on though. Genuinely did start one this morning.

I don’t want to derail the thread with my own agenda though. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    My issue is that they always feel very square-edged and with nowhere near enough attention paid to fretboard edges and fret dressing. That defeats the point of relics for me. 

But if that doesn’t bother you or if you are happy getting it sorted yourself then they’re good enough guitar, at least at used prices. 

Agreed.  They've always looked like off-the-shelf necks and bodies which have been painted and reliced with almost nothing in the way of additional woodworking or fine detailing.

God knows we've debated relics often enough on here, and I'm firmly in the pro-relic camp, for what it's worth.  Nash were making relics when it was still something of a novelty, but it seems to me they're still making them the same way they did 20(?) years ago, and everyone else has left them behind.  And as for that that bloody awful headstock logo... 

They always seem to me as if they should be about £1,000 cheaper than they actually are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @GoldenEraGuitars I'd be interested if you fancied making me one. Shoot us some photos of any you've done before!
    tFB Trader
    LPManic said:
    @GoldenEraGuitars I'd be interested if you fancied making me one. Shoot us some photos of any you've done before!
    I’ll add them to my “made in the U.K.” thread, after that feel free to message me either way. 

God knows we've debated relics often enough on here, and I'm firmly in the pro-relic camp, for what it's worth.  Nash were making relics when it was still something of a novelty, but it seems to me they're still making them the same way they did 20(?) years ago, and everyone else has left them behind.  And as for that that bloody awful headstock logo... 

Good point about the logo! I forgot - that was my least favourite part of the guitar. Massively cheapened the look of it.
    I don't dislike the Nash logo, but I believe they still write serial numbers in sharpie on the edge of the headstock, which is genuinely terrible 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I don't dislike the Nash logo, but I believe they still write serial numbers in sharpie on the edge of the headstock, which is genuinely terrible 

The stars aren’t terribly visible on that one but mine had coloured stars which made it look like a 5 year old decorated it with sharpies.
    hassleham said:

The stars aren’t terribly visible on that one but mine had coloured stars which made it look like a 5 year old decorated it with sharpies.
    Ah, I'd never actually noticed that before. Have they always had those? Weird design choice...