Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What’s the difference between a noise gate and a compressor ? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What’s the difference between a noise gate and a compressor ?

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
If I play with mine ( ;) ) they seem to do the same job - cut off signal.

what’s the difference - intent and how they do it ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    They are completely different.

While each has a threshold as to when a signal is hot enough to be affected the compressor merely squeezes the signal by a chosen ratio to stop it getting too much / or any louder at all.

Whereas a noise gate threshold is used as a trigger to when the signal should be let through at all. Below that threshold - such as playing very gently, and it should stop any signal completely.

A compressor should never cut off the signal, it should only narrow the band in which the signal exists, boosting the quiet and reducing the loud for a most consistent volume level overall.

A gate is about killing unwanted noise, whether from single coils, sloppy playing / handling noise or anything else lower than the usual playing level that needs to be removed. 

Very different things for very different uses.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What @fretmeister said. 

Worth watching that pedal show on compressors. 

I don’t use either of them but they are very different. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Basically, they are the opposite to each other as noted above.

Compressors are to limiters as expanders are to noise gates ie, the second is the extreme version of the first.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    You know when you stop playing and there's a load of hiss?
    A noise gate stops that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I’m guessing therefore that my noise gate doesn’t do what a noise gate is supposed to, and the dial marked compressor on my amp isn’t one then :) 
    A 1 knob compressor can control many parameters at once or it can be changing only 1 with the others being static.

A lot of 1 knob compressors are shite though.

If you don’t think it’s doing anything it could be that it’s a subtle one, or, bearing in mind you didn’t know the difference between a gate and a compressor might not know what you are listening for.

There’s even some pro 6 knob compressors that are very subtle in use.

What amp is it?
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    A 1 knob compressor can control many parameters at once or it can be changing only 1 with the others being static.

A lot of 1 knob compressors are shite though.

If you don’t think it’s doing anything it could be that it’s a subtle one, or, bearing in mind you didn’t know the difference between a gate and a compressor might not know what you are listening for.

There’s even some pro 6 knob compressors that are very subtle in use.

What amp is it?
    A bit of both I think,
    It’s only a blackstar fly single knob, but it just seems to do the same as my noise gate pedal, which is to “dull” both the attack and delay of notes.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    If your noise gate is doing that then the settings are wrong.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Yep, a noise gate with a slow release time would drop the initial transient volume, but that’s not how it should work.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    edited October 2023
    Noise gate - gets rid of hum & horrible noises from high gain amps 
      You can also set it at an extreme to get a violin volume swell effect 

Compressor  evens out  attack by  boosting lower sounds and lowering louder sounds to a desired level. This can help sustain ,clarity & pinch harmonics to pop out  and get better sustain on acoustics and clean electrics