Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Recommendations for effects / amp switching - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Recommendations for effects / amp switching

What's Hot
Long story short(ish), I've used Kemper, Fractal (AX8 - still have it) and other much older tech years ago.....Kemper was great for a specific prog rock band but had quirks that finally had me sell it once the band disbanded (excuse the pun)....AX8 is still for indoor practice and for a country band (at the moment).

My main gigging set up is an Engl Ironball (original not SE) with a CaptorX to deal with the apparent inabilty of most soundmen to mic a cab properly.....and a pedalboard at the end or a pedalsnake :) with an ES-5 that lets me switch channels and layer either a Keeley DS-1 for a hair of gain, a CM Plexitone for higher gain, or switch to the Engl high gain channel for modern high gain.

I also currently use a midi connection to change the CaptorX settings for lead.

The pedalboard is where most things can go wrong....eventally patch leads or even pedal sockets go faulty and re-routing stuff is a pain.

I was wondering about a unit that could do most of my effects, and switch channels on my amp....and even allow me a couple of loops for my overdrive pedals.  Something like an MS-3 perhaps.

So, what are your experiences recommendations for this......I was wondering if this might bridge the gap between full modeller and full 'traditional' set up.....giving me a smaller pedalboard with less chance of failure and easier routing options....

Price is definitely a factor here.....if I were going to pay hundreds then I might as well try one of the latest and greatest modellers, FM9 etc...

Thanks,
Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Can you do it with the AX8, and not spend anything at all? The wiki saysThe AX8 can send out a single MIDI Progam Change when loading a preset scene. The PC (and the MIDI channel) can vary per scene. When sending from the AX8, MIDI Program Changes are sent via the MIDI Out/Thru port”
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Roland said:
    Can you do it with the AX8, and not spend anything at all? The wiki says “The AX8 can send out a single MIDI Progam Change when loading a preset scene. The PC (and the MIDI channel) can vary per scene. When sending from the AX8, MIDI Program Changes are sent via the MIDI Out/Thru port”
    The midi changes, yes......but I can't see that I could do the amp channel switching (TRS) or looping in drive pedals...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Helix will do it.
  • Helix will do it.
    Which model?  Do you mean the midi and amp channel switching?  A quick look at pics of them and I don't see loops for physical (drive) pedals.
  • andyg_prs said:
    Helix will do it.
    Which model?  Do you mean the midi and amp channel switching?  A quick look at pics of them and I don't see loops for physical (drive) pedals.
    There are 4 loops for pedals on the full fat Helix and 2 on the LT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    andyg_prs said:
    Helix will do it.
    It will do midi and there are 4 FX loops on the full floor model and on the rack version. There are 2 loops on the LT. You can place them anywhere in the chain, or indeed be parallel with other stuff. Of course you don't have to only have 1 pedal in a loop either.

The loop can be controlled like any other sound - either alone like a stomp, or as part of a Snapshot (like a patch but with instant switching).