Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NTD - New Turntable Day (and potentially WTB records) - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NTD - New Turntable Day (and potentially WTB records)

What's Hot
I don't know anything about turntables really but I have a pretty good amp and speaker set up and had been pondering getting one for a while.  I saw these Roksan Attessa turntables at Richer Sounds for £499 which seemed like a pretty good deal so went for one (in black).   

https://www.richersounds.com/catalog/product/view/id/113419/s/roksan-attessa-turntable-satin-black/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpompBhDZARIsAFD_Fp_XG9vynj3ns74WVUu0XkiKkyK4YKJgvOwryiYccCcSYMSlUyd6hrEaAvQMEALw_wcB

Was this a good choice?  

I had a massive CD collection but sold them all for peanuts via Ziffitt a few years ago and since then I've been doing most of my listening through Spotify. 

Anyway I'm now looking forward to accumulating a small collection of select albums on vinyl, so if anyone is looking to offload any surplus I might be interested.  Mostly interested in Jazz but also 90s stuff and Country/Alt-Country/Americana stuff. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Probably a very good choice.  Roksan aren't noted for making bad products; quite the opposite in fact.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    It'll sound better than Spotify.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Roksan are now owned by Monitor Audio so still very much part of the mid and above range on the domestic audio scale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • With your music interests, you’ll probably do well out of local record fairs. 
  • I would have gone for a Rega but it looks nice enough.

• I would have gone for a Rega but it looks nice enough.

More than nice enough I'd say. I've not seen a bad review and they were reviewed when £995
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited October 2023
    I would have gone for a Rega but it looks nice enough.

More than nice enough I'd say. I've not seen a bad review and they were reviewed when £995
    They obviously didn’t sell at £995 and are now in Richer sounds for £499 less if you’re a vip member.
    who actually designed it ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Ha, who knows? I'm sure it'll be more than adequate for my requirements. 

I'll update when arrives and I get it hooked up. My next concern is how to keep my 3 cats off it. Not sure if it comes with any cover. 
  • Get a cover.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Specs look good for the price! Nothing wrong with that at all in my eyes. Good luck keeping your upcoming small selection of records small  ;)
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited October 2023
    Roksan are ace. 

Not that I’ve owned one but they’ve had such a good name for so many years now. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • viz said:
    Roksan are ace. 

Not that I’ve owned one but they’ve had such a good name for so many years now. 
    ^^^ This.  For many years I used a Roksan Xerxes turntable, the one with the saggy plinth.  I sourced a replacement plinth and it was a rock solid performer.  I now use a Michell Gyrodec fitted with a Roksan Tabriz tonearm.  My cd player is a Roksan Kandy, cannot fault it.

Take a look at the Michell UniCover to protect your tt, it works.  Pricey for what it is, but you may find a used one.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    That cover looks much nicer than the square box type. I'll have a search.

I'm envisaging this situation 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Happy new turntable day, it looks fab! 

In terms of acquiring records, I’ve bought a few from Oxfam online without any issues. They cater for all genres, some better priced than others.

On a personal note, I vowed not to go down the vinyl route again due to cost and impracticability ... but not being able to resist a charity-shop-find Sansui SR222 MK2 a few months ago, I started collecting LPs again. Hand on heart I honestly forgot what I'd missed. Have fun :)
  • Happy new turntable day  have fun searching for records . I’ve had some good deals at a site called (I think it’s ) Discogs  although I have a lot of my 80s ones too . Record fairs are fun .

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Get a cover.
    Yes, definitely. My stepson bought a turntable recently, was very proud of it and was extolling the quality of the sound. Yesterday we dropped his two boys home after we’d had them for a couple of days and I noticed it had disappeared. “Ah, yes. I’m waiting for a new cartridge, and a cover”. Two year old grandson had apparently been amusing himself by waggling the stylus up and down because he liked the scratchy noise it made. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited October 2023
    I dropped my tonearm down too hard and the diamond fell out. Bloody tiny it was. But I saw it on the record label like a teeeeeny speck of dust. Sent it back between two pieces of sellotape, along with the cartridge. The retipping was considerably cheaper than using a new diamond. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter