Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone tried the Boss FB-2 Feedback + booster - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone tried the Boss FB-2 Feedback + booster

Anybody ever use one of these?

There are a few places in our set where I think I could use some feedback....breakdowns etc..... but I'd like it to be controled and not need excessive volume.....  I tried a Digitech Freqout but couldn't get it to work consistently. I also tried an EHX Freeze - which did exactly what it says on the tin - it freezed the last note played.......it's a really interesting pedal that I have found some fun uses for but it isn't the feedback sound I was looking for. 

I've found videos of this pedal - the Boss FB-2, it seems ideal for me - it has a little boost that would suit me and you can hold the pedal down to get what sounds like a genuine feedback effect....... Only issue is it seems they don't make the pedal any more so it may cost a little more to get one. That'd be ok - but I can't test it so was wondering if any one has any experience with one.....

thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• markvmarkv Frets: 449
    I used to have an FB-2. As a boost it was fine - I liked the fact that you could change the character of the boost. But it didn't feel particularly refined and ultimately I preferred a Klone. The feedback feature only works when the boost is already engaged, so you can't have the feedback without the boost on first, which I think is a bit restricting. The "feedback" sounds OK, you wouldn't mistake it for the real thing but in a performance or on a track, it's fine.

I now have a Freqout, which to my ears is on a completely different level - much more realistic, much more controllable and tweakable.

The only thing I'd say for the Boss is that it's a lot less sensitive to the input signal (if I remember correctly). The Freqout will stop the feedback effect if the note you're holding dies down past a certain level - which is realistic I guess but sometimes not what you want. The Boss will hang on to the note until you want it to stop (again, iirc!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markv said:
    I used to have an FB-2. As a boost it was fine - I liked the fact that you could change the character of the boost. But it didn't feel particularly refined and ultimately I preferred a Klone. The feedback feature only works when the boost is already engaged, so you can't have the feedback without the boost on first, which I think is a bit restricting. The "feedback" sounds OK, you wouldn't mistake it for the real thing but in a performance or on a track, it's fine.

I now have a Freqout, which to my ears is on a completely different level - much more realistic, much more controllable and tweakable.

The only thing I'd say for the Boss is that it's a lot less sensitive to the input signal (if I remember correctly). The Freqout will stop the feedback effect if the note you're holding dies down past a certain level - which is realistic I guess but sometimes not what you want. The Boss will hang on to the note until you want it to stop (again, iirc!)
    That is really useful and also very interesting - thanks @markv ;

I quite fancy the the boost part of the FB-2..... I play reggae and ska live so nearly all on a clean tone, regular modulation..... I use a clean boost for lead melody lines and occasionally a gain pedal for some light breakup, volume and gain for solos.

Like you say it seems you can choose the tonal character of the boost on the FB-2 which I think would be useful....

I didn't know the feedback only worked when the boost was in engaged - so good to know.....  I would only be using the feedback for performance, specially with a couple of breakdowns..... 

I had a Freqout and literally couldn't get the feedback to work at all..... I've often wondered if the unit I had was faulty...... I ended up giving it to a mate. 

Do you still have your FB-2 Mark?
  • I have 2 FB2s, I only use the boost mode though - i've never really used the feedback function much. If you'd like me to test anything out for you give me a shout.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • I have 2 FB2s, I only use the boost mode though - i've never really used the feedback function much. If you'd like me to test anything out for you give me a shout.
    thanks - is that because you find the feedback function impractical, unpleasant or because you don't have need for it? 
    No, I sold the FB-2 a while ago.

The Freqout needs to be first in the chain, in my experience - it needs a clean signal. I think the FB-2 was less fussy
    thanks - is that because you find the feedback function impractical, unpleasant or because you don't have need for it? 
    I don't have a need for it, mostly as i'm not gigging these days - if I was gigging I probably would have found use for it as my band was pretty noisy.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • markv said:
    The feedback feature only works when the boost is already engaged, so you can't have the feedback without the boost on first, which I think is a bit restricting.
    I tested mine today and you can have the pedal off, put your foot on the pedal and hold it down and the feedback will start - so the boost doesn't need to be engaged first.
  • markv said:
    The feedback feature only works when the boost is already engaged, so you can't have the feedback without the boost on first, which I think is a bit restricting.
    I tested mine today and you can have the pedal off, put your foot on the pedal and hold it down and the feedback will start - so the boost doesn't need to be engaged first.
    thanks @Johnnyseven - thats interesting......I'd like to find on maybe - also like that you had a noisy band lol
    markv said:
    Ah ok, my mistake!