Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I had some spare MDF and built this... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I had some spare MDF and built this...

What's Hot
vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
edited October 2023 in Off Topic
I've built a load of Kallax-sized shelving over the past year or so, to keep the house organised.

I had a bunch of sheets spare and I've been meaning to make one of these for years:

I have sourced the controls and some plexiglass ready for a test fit. It might be finished by Xmas...
0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Excellent,  I've built a couple for friends. I used 4:3 lcd pc monitors though in vertical position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I wondered what it was at first then saw it’s a case for an arcade machine, that is the most awesome thing, well done ,you’re a proper craftsmen. I’m assuming it’s going to have some sort of MAME emulator in it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Ah that's ace :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    You might be able to use Buckethead signature Les Paul killswitches for makeshift buttons
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Great. Need a ready supply of 10p pieces though. Or have times moved on?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • This is going to use a Mister FPGA system rather than MAME. The cabinet is 80% there but now I've got the shag and hassle of filling, sanding, painting etc. I can only work outside so I have to wait until it's not raining. Hence hoping it'll be ready for Xmas!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @vasselmeyer Very cool indeed...reminds me of my yoof. Look forward to seeing the finished result. :-)
  • That's incredible @vasselmeyer - instant nostalgia! The lines are lovely...... you could get a few quid doing that stuff on commission I reckon! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This is going to use a Mister FPGA system rather than MAME. 
    Blimey that seems a bit overkill for a Bartop arcade.

HP Elitedesk or NUC with a CoinOps build are the better choice imo, or drop in a Pandora Box 10.

I personally wouldn't use a Mister, 
  • This is going to use a Mister FPGA system rather than MAME. The cabinet is 80% there but now I've got the shag and hassle of filling, sanding, painting etc. I can only work outside so I have to wait until it's not raining. Hence hoping it'll be ready for Xmas!
    That looks an awesome system, watched the video, your units going to be so awesome 
  • This is going to use a Mister FPGA system rather than MAME. 
    Blimey that seems a bit overkill for a Bartop arcade.

HP Elitedesk or NUC with a CoinOps build are the better choice imo, or drop in a Pandora Box 10.

I personally wouldn't use a Mister, 

I bought the Mister a couple of years ago out of curiosity and it's just sitting around so I might as well use it in this. I'll be building in an external power switch and the Mister can be powered on and off without shutting it down unlike something like RetroPi. It's got much less chance of getting the system corrupted if I loan the cabinet out to other people. 

All the connections (sound, controllers, Ethernet, video) can be plugged in to anything and I've got a couple of Pis around and some old NUCs too which I could drop in. I'm going to put a USB socket on the side so I can link a controller on the outside so if I want to run something more powerful like Dolphin I can do that too. I could even use it as a dock for my Steam Deck running Emudeck!