Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD: Eastman Jazz box - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD: Eastman Jazz box

What's Hot
grayngrayn Frets: 769
Well, after many years of looking into and nearly getting a hollowbodied jazz guitar, I finally succeeded and brought one home with me yesterday.  I went over to Frets Guitar Centre, in Cleveleys, to try out 3 jazzers in my price bracket.  I mostly went to try out an Eastman AR580CE but they also had some cheaper models I wanted to compare with.  These being an Epiphone Broadway and a Hofner HCT-J17.  The Broadway is quite a handsome guitar, with some decent build quality.  The Hofner does look quite cheap, close up.  And it is the lowest priced of the three.  But I really liked the pickup on it, which had a full, clear tone.  All 3 guitars were pre-owned and I could have bought both the Epi and the Hof, for the price of the Eastman.  But as soon as you pick up the Eastman, you can see and feel why.

The AR580CE oozes quality, with it's spec and build/finish qualiIty.  It has ebony fingerboard, bridge, pickguard, tuner buttons and tailpeice; quilted maple binding to body, neck, head, f-holes and pickguard.  Other features include a solid spruce, hand carved top, Gotoh tuners, pearl split-block markers on the fretboard, a Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup, a Switchcraft jack socket and a brass underside to the ebony tailpeice.

Yes, this Eastman is a real looker, with it's honeyburst body and beautiful overall finishing.  More importantly, it plays very smoothly and comfortably and the Seymour Duncan pushes out a very full, sweet tone.  The 16" wide 2 9/16" deep body isn't the biggest but I see/hear that as an advantage.  Acoustically it has a well balanced, very well defined tone.  Not swamped by the bass, a much larger body might produce.  This amps up well and again, has lots of vibrant, well balanced tonality.
The guitar came with some brand new D'addario Chromes flatwounds on.  I like these, they feel good and are surprsiingly vibrant.  Though I may, in the future, try out some Thomastik BeBop round wounds.

So, I am improving on my chordal range and structure and enjoying that mellow, single lines mood.  Just need to up my game, to make the most of this Jazz box.

0reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RichACRichAC Frets: 595
    edited October 2023
    That’s the second new jazzbox day post in a row! 

That’s really nice. I love the colour. Happy new guitar day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Beautiful. These eastmans are some of the best jazz boxes you can buy, irrespective of price. Happy new guitar day!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Eastman do make some cracking jazzers. Congrats!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • In the words of John Thomson aka The Fast Show Jazz Club host 'Nice!'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Love an Eastman, I’ve an SB59 and Juliet, want a T64 or Jazzer next. They just make great guitars.
  • Congrats, they are killer guitars. I'm always on the lookout for an Eastman 7 - but they're hard to find! Enjoy
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 178
    Now that does look lovely.  I think that's a guitar I'd like myself
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 598
    They are lovely guitars ...I have a Eastman it's a AR810 CE with the volumes behind the scratch plate ....possibly putting it up for trade soon cos I just don't use it
  • Very nice indeed! 

I think you’ll notice a very big difference once you get the TI strings on. I much much prefer them to D’Addario Chromes 

You probably know this but remember to go ‘up’ a gauge when using TIs (their 13s = most other manufacturer’s 12s in terms of tension)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 276

Nice! I almost bought a second-hand one of these a few years back at the now-defunct Sounds Great shop in Cheadle. But I already had an AR371 at that time, and told myself I couldn’t justify another Eastman! Of course, now I wish I had. I still love the rawness and immediacy of the 371 in a (jazzish) band mix, but would probably also have loved the more refined sound of the 580 for solo stuff.

• Wow!!! Happy new archtop day!!  That’s a quality instrument!
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1071
    Lovely stuff. I really like the Eastman range and the guitars I've played have been great. That's such a "proper" looking jazzbox with a beautiful finish. Enjoy!
  • grayngrayn Frets: 769
    Thanks for all the positive comments.
    I forgot to mention how light this guitar is.
    So much lighter than the other Jazzers I tried.
    It's a real thoroughbred and inspiring some lovely melodies.
    A joy to look at and play.   =)
  • spir4Lspir4L Frets: 26
    It looks wonderful :) Congratulations