Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Any older players adopted lighter strings? - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Any older players adopted lighter strings?

What's Hot
Sometimes I feel like I should do the above but have been wedded to 10's for so long (plus have at least 6 sets in the cupboard!) but has anyone found that moving to lighter string sets helps the ageing digits move a bit more easily? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    Don't know your definition of older but at 51 I'm now playing 8-46 and a sub-1mm action and I regret not doing it 20 years ago. In the overall set up equation, I think string gauge makes more of a difference than action i.e. it's easier to play a higher action with the light strings than a lower action with heavier ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I found 9.5s worked on some of my guitars and I could feel the difference in playing. Also it didn't require the guitar to be set up/adjusted from 10s so easy to try for the price of a set. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    edited October 2023
    I went through a phase a couple of years ago when I used 8's on strats and 9's on LP/SG as bending strings was painful and I started having problems like not being able to move my fingers in the morning. I loved how slinky they felt, but didn't appreciate the occasional buzz and how careful you have to be not to bend strings out of tune when fretting. 

Then life got really stressful and I started squeezing something called 'thinking putty' in my hands as a way to calm my anxiety. After a few months, I was utterly shocked to find that I could pull off three-string vibratos on a mate's strat, which has got 12's on. So I've (cautiously) gone up a gauge. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• .10s till I die. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    I’ve not gone for lighter strings, but I did switch to smaller cores for the same gauge. This was to counter bending being more difficult on a headless guitar.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1470
    18s till i die...          i'll get me coat..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m 49 and I’m on 11s for acoustic and electric.  I was using 12s and 13s at one point.  I’ve always liked the fight, I’ll
    likely go lower in the coming years, but like the feel of 11s at the moment. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    try 9-46
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm 57 and still playing 11s on Gibsons, and 10s on Fenders. Anything lighter and I tend to over bend when playing live. Never say never though.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Yep, I switched back to 9s from 10.  All mine were strung with 10s, but then I picked up a LPC that was strung with the lighter gauge and honestly,  I enjoyed playing it so much more that I've decided to replace my existing strings with 9s when it's time to change them.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270
    Quite the opposite: when I was younger I used 9s as they were bendy and the sound was mostly altered by pedals. Now I am older I am getting more into jazz and that has led me to move up to 10s and 11s as my sound is now mostly just guitar and amp.

In fact, I would say I am definitely not a 'one size until I die' kind of person as the exploration of creativity demands me to constantly refine my sound and try new or different approaches.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Yes and no. I did abort a move upwards to bluegrass and medium on the basis that although I loved the sound it was giving my ageing joints a hard time. (Does a cancelled step up count as almost a step down?)  And although I'm still playing 12s pretty much exclusively, I'm tending to play makes that are soft and gentle on the fingers - quite a few round core and a few low tension sets, but mostly just makes which are still standard hex core 12s but nice finger-friendly ones. (I'll mention Galli, Adamas, La Bella.) 

On the other hand, there are one or two stiffer-than-average 12s I like ands will buy again just because they sound great: Optima phosphor bronze is an example.

So put me down as a "weak yes" rather than a "clear yes".
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    try 9-46
    Correct. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    edited October 2023
    As an arthritis sufferer since my 40's I will go as low as I need at any given time as there are good times and bad times. Electrics never more than 9's will venture to 11 on acoustics but I try to play shorter scales guitars.

I also think it is worth mentioning what my consultant said at the time of my original diagnosis that all guitarists should look to reduce the physical demands on their hands there are well-documented papers on the effects and it leads to Arthritis. Mine is now diagnosed as specifically an auto-immune type but the wearing out of finger joints is a real thing.

So over the years, there has been a load of macho crap about string gauge and tone and real men play xxx

But taking care of your hands is important and a lighter touch and easier-to-play guitar makes good sense if you are going to end up on Lapsteel. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I'm thoroughly middle-aged, but I have no issue going for light strings when I want to.

I usually use 9s on Fenders and 10s on Gibsons, occasionally going up from there if I'm playing enough that my fingers noticeably gain strength, but I'm happy to drop to lighter gauges again whenever I want a break. Almost all the classic records post-1965 were made with super-light strings anyway. I've definitely read of the likes of Jimmy Page, Brian May (on a 24 inch scale!!), Iommi (tuned down), Billy Gibbons (sometimes 7s!), EVH, Chuck Berry, Joe Perry and BB King all using 8s

I'm doing a fair bit of twiddly stuff for the band at the moment, so going to try 9-46 on the Gibson for the next couple of weeks and see how much easier that makes things. I'm certainly not precious about it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    edited October 2023
    I use 10s on both acoustic and electric and take it from there. I will say that it feels like not all same gauge strings are created equally.

PS,I'm not sure my opinion counts as a mere 56 year old youngster!
  • Interesting stuff. I didn't know anything about different cores but I'm definitely going to try a set of 9s. At 68 and 3/4 I could do with a bit of hand relief. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Round cores generally mean a lower tension, I use DR Veritas 9-46 on all my electrics, Newtone Heritage 11-49 or 12-51 on acoustic, both make life easier on my arthritic wrinkley fingers.

• I've always used very light strings.  I used to play 8s back in the day.  What I realise now, but didn't then, was that I was partially compensating for the very low frets on my Les Paul Custom which meant I was getting a lot of friction from the wood when trying to bend.  I didn't have enough experience of other guitars to know that the fret size was making bending  harder.

Nowadays I use taller frets and 9s.  I''ve played 10s comfortably enough but they were just a tad stiffer and I couldn't hear any tonal advantage so I went back to 9s.  I'm 100% convinced there's no tonal advantage in heavier strings.  Rick Beato has a good video on the subject.

I now have arthritis in both hands and have thought about going back to 8s, but  I doubt it'll make a huge difference.  I'm a big Elixir fan and they don't do 8s - if they did I'd probably have tried a set by now.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I’ve always used 9s so it’s hard to notice 
  • Don't know if any of you follow Tim Pierce on YT, but here  he is discussing string gauges. 
    (5) Amateurs Always FORGET This Hendrix Pro TRICK - YouTube

• Moved from 10 to 9 on Fenders over the last few yrs and much better. I like my Strats to have 2 way trem and with 9s I can still do ‘country’ bends without pulling the other strings out of tune…maybe a little but much easier to compensate for.