Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Who Performs? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Who Performs?

What's Hot
ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 468
edited October 2023 in Guitar
I've noticed in my short time on here, compared to a lot of others in any case, that probably the section on here least contributed to is "Playing Live".  So I'm interested in seeing what proportion of people on here do actually play live, or perform music to a wider audience in some other way, like publishing their own music online or through You Tube channels, etc.

For me, personally, music has always been a collaborative exercise, either playing with other musicians or playing to an audience, or both, preferably.  (Although, as I always say, "Two's company, three's an audience.")  As soon as I picked up a guitar, I wanted to play to people and play music with other people.

So, just wondering, who plays in bands, etc. and who just plays for their own enjoyment?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    edited October 2023
    I'm like you in that I'm happiest making music with others and performing, but lockdown killed the band I was in, then I moved city, bought a house etc. Since then, I've not really been sure how to go about finding people to play with, and it's impacted my motivation to play massively. I definitely spend more time noodling and tinkering now than playing with purpose.

I've tried going to a couple of jam nights in my local area but they weren't great!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    I did play in a band, weekly rehearsals and gigs every now and then. Covid killed that stone dead and at the moment it's just me with a small roomful of amps, a reactive load, and some cab IRs.

Quite happy for now but I must admit I do miss the collaboration.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    edited October 2023
    This is the main reason I play. Creating, performing, recording and all that.

I had a 8 year break when my kids were small, I think I picked up any instrument maybe 2-3 times during that period.
  • I have ever actually been part of a band as such. I've played in church since I was really young and have been doing so ever since. I play at home a lot but never done the proper gigging thing. Would love to though
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 65
    I play in a band, it's by far the most fun and rewarding. If there's a big gap between gigs then I try and learn something new, run up to gigs are just playing songs over and over.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    I wouldn't call it performing so much as standing in one spot and playing guitar while people happen to be watching.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultM said:
    I wouldn't call it performing so much as standing in one spot and playing guitar while people happen to be watching drinking in the same room.
    Fixed!
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Not for more than 30 years. It was lots of fun and it paid the bills at a time when I really needed the money. Very glad I did it. But that was then and this is now and I have no desire to do it again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have racked up over 800 paid gigs but posting about them on here is kind of futile as I'm only playing my local pub scene.

There is a real buzz when you see an audience enjoying themselves or the band completely click on a tune etc.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've never really been in a band as I'm quite the opposite of most people - I don't really enjoy working with others musically. I have done bits and bobs by myself with guitar and singing but never really got off the ground in the sense of getting bookings etc if that makes sense. I'd love to put together a couple of solo sets that I could smash out by myself in public here and there but a) finding the time to put it together and b) finding an audience or venue where it would be acceptable seem to be the stumbling blocks. Ideally I'd like a set to reflect my tastes in music and another set that's a bit more generically acceptable if that makes sense

I do however perform publicly on piano doing weddings - ceremonies, drinks, breakfasts etc and have done a few concert recital type things alongside that. It's not very cool or artistically fulfilling by any means, but it's satisfying and the only way I can get regularly paid for playing music.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I played in bands on and off for 25+ years (note to self: why am I still crap at guitar?). My last band was falling apart then COVID so it's effectively retired me. I don't dislike playing guitar and pick one up from time to time but the incentive to play was largely around practicing for a band I might be in one day or the band I was in. 

The increasing use of silent stages, FRFR,etc, is different to what my experience was so I realise that my experiences are slowly becoming less relevant. However, band politics and people acting like dicks in bands seems much the same so I can always chip in (and it's a useful reminder about why I'll probably never do an old fogeys band). 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I was in bands pretty consistently from 17-28 or so, then stopped for about after a move and shift into a corporate job with lots of travel. I joined a band again a year ago after about a 10 year gap. I had realised I missed it but hadn't realised what a massive part of my existence it is to play with other folks, preferably to an audience who gives a shit. 

I won't be stopping again. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005

Yes. started gigging in 1978 when I was 13 playing own material...  local church halls that sort of thing, then pubs as a support band despite being kids under age, then venues, then released first vinyl in1980 aged 15..  then constantly gigged and recorded in different line us up and tried to make it until I was 26 and so utterly broke and hacked off the "business" that i concentrated on other earning activities which served me well.  But I carried on writing playing in bands anyway. Recently released 2 albums as Scoorieboy who are now rehearsing up in a new drummer line-up of it to gig soon hopefully. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I gig in a covers band two or three times a month. It's pub gigs mainly, but I really enjoy it and it makes me practice! Otherwise I would spend even more time GASsing, and talking shite on this forum.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    14-18 - basic school bands.

18-23 ish - played guitar in a band that gigged a lot. Originals in pubs / BOTB - anywhere. In the car and go.
    Little break, then into another band as frontman / guitars (I love a 3 power trio!)

Another little break and then on bass with a 4 piece covers / function band for about 3 years.

Then quite a long break other than get togethers with old band members for one-off birthday gig type things.

Last 10 years I've been volunteering at a educational music & performing arts trust and I play in any ensemble that I'm asked to, but the main gig is on bass in a 25 person jazz big band. I got press-ganged when my kids attended as students and although they have gone onto other things I'm still there. As it's an educational trust it's term based every Saturday morning. There's 3 main gigs a year at the end of each term, and then there's a handful of other stuff that is expected for a trust like that - village fetes, Xmas things in shopping centres, that sort of things.  We play old big band classics and some jazz versions of top40 tunes and everything in between.

So it's not super busy but it's enough for me at the moment as I have work and other things.

I do really miss singing though. Bass is my primary instrument but I find it difficult to play bass and sing lead at the same time, whereas I find playing guitar and singing lead easy (those teenage years worshipping at the altar of Hetfield has a lot to do with that).

At some point I'll get a guitar amp again and see if I can still sing!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I was in "proper" bands between 1981-84 then I stopped playing completely until the 90s when I started touring for a living, alongside some studio work. 

I hated the hussle so gave that up, so for the last 15 years or so music has been around half of my income, sometimes more, sometimes less. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I won't be stopping again. 

Same here. During that 8-year break I almost convinced myself I'm over with that and that playing in a band again doesn't make sense at all. Luckily I've been invited to a gig by my previous band in a nearby city, and it felt like a divine intervention. Month later I played a gig with them. 

Since then I'm pretty sure I'll be doing this for the rest of my life, if psychically able to do it.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    I play and sing in a band - due to kids its a local parents band that just play a couple of gigs per year. I hope to do more as life allows. I also like performing in musical theatre although that's on a hiatus just now.

I also run the Cover Challenge in the making music section of the forum so record at least 4 covers a year (often more) which definitely counts as performing. And trying to come up with new takes on Sunday can be very enjoyable when it's not frustrating. FWIW we'll be starting our next challenge this weekend so anyone who prefers recording to live is welcome to come along and join us
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
    Gigged and toured in my teens and 20s ... stopped touring when I got a family ... pretty much stopped playing live when I started Oil City ... Just geared up for recording again ... may gig if I can find sympathetic people who aren't needy arseholes or narcissistic arseholes ... or needy, narcissistic arseholes One in a band is quite enough ... me!  :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    60 year old sad loser here who just plays alone at home in a room with the door shut. Thus it has always been and ever more will be until I pop my clogs.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I was in three bands between the ages of 15 and 23 with gigs scattered throughout that period.  I then sold my gear to pay the bills when I was a student and didn't buy another guitar until 1991 when I was 31.  I still have it (plus a few others) but whilst I've been tempted at various times to start a band again - I know various musicians around where I live - I've never quite got around to it.  I tell myself that's because I don't have the time, but in reality I suspect it's because the desire isn't quite strong enough.

I still really enjoy picking up a guitar though.  And if I'm in the mood, I may actually play it :-)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1658
     After teen years in bands and folk clubs  decades later  at studio jams and then  I  played and sang  in  pub blues jams and jazz open nights where I blagged bluesey jazz.Covid has stopped this .having COPD and advanced age it was all knocked on the head  mainly my my life long sensible wife who also objected to an old man traipsing round multistories and city centres  carrying a guitar  at midninght  so I had to  resigned myself to a little bedroom playing to keep a hand in .Pity .The COPD dropped my voice a tone or two ,just perfect  for blues .oh well still alive .
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    I do play in a band but it’s a fairly casual affair and the band performs maybe once a twice per month. Outside of the band I play two or three times per month at local(ish) jam sessions. Although I’d class myself as a reasonably competent player I find that jam sessions can put me ‘on the spot’ in that I might have to play songs (or in keys) I’m not that familiar or comfortable with.

My reasons for not contributing much to the ‘live’ section are mostly not gigging that often, and also having fairly basic equipment (guitar, amp, drive pedal) so have very little to add on the more technical stuff.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited October 2023
    Me! I have been in bands since I was about 13. If I'm in a band we play live. The only time I'm not in a band is when I've left a band and need some time off. I had a bad band break up recently in a band I started and did everything for. I was awaiting surgery and needed about 6 months off as I couldn't walk, and needed the surgery and then recovery time and they decided to replace me behind my back instead of wait or use deps. So lovely people.

But I'm in another band now and we have gigs booked from December into next year and normally do a couple of times a month. If I wasn't playing with people, or for people I don't think I would be that interested to play alone at home just for the fun of it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    When I haven't been in bands I have always tried to play every day and learn new things. Have good band at the moment and we gig roughly once a month. I also do some open mic things even though I don't have a great voice.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a bedroom player in fact we need them as they buy gear which helps to keep shops open and manufacturers making things.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    I've played and sang in a 4 piece pub and functions band that gigs 2 or 3 times a month for the last 7 years. Still enjoy it - it's not always easy due to the commitment and I've learnt a) you've got to get on with people - compromise is key and b) 90% of it is simply turning up / reliability (just like Ringo in the Get Back documentary!).

If I didn't play in a band - I would still constantly play guitar when I had the chance - I get immense joy playing the instrument, learning new stuff, making music and have somehow managed to get halfway decent on it in doing so.
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAce said:
    it's not always easy due to the commitment and I've learnt a) you've got to get on with people - compromise is key and b) 90% of it is simply turning up / reliability 
    There's the two main reason why I don't play in a band, and why I have great respect for those who do

I also run the Cover Challenge in the making music section of the forum so record at least 4 covers a year (often more) which definitely counts as performing.
    Now that's a mentality I can get behind! Definitely suited to being more of a recording performer here, I just need to get better at it...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I do, although I’ve got the first proper gig since before Covid tonight - a change of singer and various other issues meant a long delay. I’m playing bass not guitar in the band these days too - I still play guitar, but last time I tried in public, at a local acoustic jam night a couple of months ago, I felt like a fish out of water so I’ve gone back to taking my little acoustic bass and contributing to other people’s performances…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I've played in rock bands for the past 15 years. Must have been through about 7. Some better than others, as in terms of enjoyment. Some were a harsh learning curves in dealing with people wanting different things from the band.

The last band I played in wasn't actually mine, it's a band who I happen to be very good mates with, have known them all for over a decade and we have always kept in touch whilst I was in other bands. They first asked me to go out as a tech for a tour, we did it and it was a right laugh. Then I was asked to fill in for one of the guitarists for a show, which also went very well and before I knew it I was ask to dep for bass and the other guitarist too before leaving my own current band at the time to go and play with these guys permanently. It was the best decision I ever made. Made me wonder why I didn't just start playing with them from the beginning. Sadly we stopped playing in 2019 but are getting back together for a one-off reunion show next month. So it'll be the first time I'll have played on stage in about 4 years. I mostly play at home now but I will always miss the live environment. 

The band gave me very good memories with so many laughs, banter and funny stories to tell. A very happy period in my 'career'. We are all still good friends now and a few of us are in other projects but we always miss the OG band. We just click and gel, the humour is the same etc etc. Very important as 80% of the time you spend in a band together isn't on stage. We took our music across the UK from the South coast like Bournemouth to Scotland. 

Have always been in originals bands though, never a cover/functions one though I'd like to get into one to play some covers for pissed punters to sing and dance to on a Saturday night in a pub somewhere, for a bit of cash.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135

I do really miss singing though. Bass is my primary instrument but I find it difficult to play bass and sing lead at the same time, whereas I find playing guitar and singing lead easy (those teenage years worshipping at the altar of Hetfield has a lot to do with that

I have always struggled to get so much as a small “la, la, la” when playing bass, out of the pipes. Can happily sing lead or harmonise when on guitar although doubt I could play many riffs. How the hell mark king manages I’ll never know. 

I’ve played in front of people most of the time I’ve played guitar. From probably 10months in. 

Currently playing in a very easy going ceilidh band but would maybe like to do the acoustic duo or trio thing again. It’s easy to arrange and you can rehearse at home if you have understanding neighbours. 

Will probably never do full pub/function type band again. It’s far too much like actual work with a pittance of the pay.