Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Stratocaster: 'Blanking out' a middle pickup aperture - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Stratocaster: 'Blanking out' a middle pickup aperture

What's Hot
On the guitar below I wish to eliminate the middle pickup - and make it a Bridge Humbucker / Neck Rails configuration.

Will a non-hole / imperforate black strat pickup cover do the job of blacking out the middle pickup aperture nicely? Or just look stupid?

Due to minor dimensional issues (and my OCD) it would otherwise required a new bespoke pickguard

https://i.imgur.com/2cW3eUM.jpeg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    I guess you have a number of choices

1. If it is a standard size scratchplate, get someone like earlpilanz on eBay to make you a new plate with the middle pickup hole omitted, you could also omit a tone pot hole if you wish to, IMO this would look best.
    Find the closest match, use the message function and tell him what you would like to omit, he will reply with a price

2 Remove the pickup from the middle and use a couple of small nuts n bolts to put the empty cover back on, suitably spaced so its not too high

3. Do as you suggest and install a black no hole pickup cover as 2.

4, Make a plastic blanking plate to fit either inside or outside to cover the pickup hole…

In the past I have done all the above and they all looked like varying degrees of bodgery, with the exception of 1.

It all comes down to what you would be happy with and if a replacement scratchplate is easily available

I would go the replacement plate if at all possible, cost? About 25quid, result? Looks factory fit…winner!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    You could just do a Ritchie Blackmore job - put a black cover on it, lower the pickup to flush with the pickguard and not wire it into the circuit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    ICBM said:
    You could just do a Ritchie Blackmore job - put a black cover on it, lower the pickup to flush with the pickguard and not wire it into the circuit.
    I did this for a friend's strat. In fact, I took the pickup out of the case, glued a couple of pieces of fibreboard to the cover to act as 'nuts' to the adjustment screws and then put a piece of black card inside the pickup cover (glued into place). You then get no magnetic pull at all and with it just level with the surface of the pickguard it acts just as a blanking plate.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• The Mustang covers are what you need. I did a dummy one using these with a plastic base plate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Jay. I have an EMG lookalike cover that would do the job. The textured top might look odd next to the shiny plastic surrounding it.
    Be seeing you.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Leave as is, and just change the wiring to eliminate the middle pickup?

Theres nothing wrong with it aesthetically, and your eyes might not appreciate the unbalanced appearance with no middle unit there.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    edited October 2023
    Thanks guys for all your help. Of all the suggestions, probably the most elegant solution would be to buy a new pickguard…

… and it was very interesting to see how different people’s minds work.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    I modified a Charvel Model 3 (pickguard version) to colourful DiMarzio HB and Track pickups. The middle cutout in the 'guard is occupied by a dud pickup under a neon green cover. Red/yellow, green, purple - like a reverse Jason Becker "numbers" Carvin guitar.
    Be seeing you.