Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Vintage Pre CBS 1964 Fender Duo Sonic, ultra rare factory Mahogany body! - Guitars £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Vintage Pre CBS 1964 Fender Duo Sonic, ultra rare factory Mahogany body!

What's Hot
Hi all, I’ve been working through my pile of vintage projects to raise some funds for future scratch builds, and recently completed this rare beauty: 

This is a factory mahogany body ‘64 Duo Sonic, in excellent ‘player grade’ condition, having the body only refinished in vintage correct nitro.

The pickups are both original- the front an early spec black bobbin, the rear an early grey, original hardware/tuners, L series neckplate and even the original tweed case! 

The Brazilian veneer board neck is nice and chunky, and

plays beautifully with a pro refret, and it’s super resonant and punchy, with notably more fatness and midrange from the mahogany body. 

These were made in very small numbers, with only two others for sale worldwide at present, one at Rumbleseat for ~£3500, and the other at ATB for *£6500*!!

I’m asking £2450 for mine, which feels very reasonable for a rare, but not fully stock example. 

Shoot me any questions and I’ll get back to you asap :-)

Thanks for reading, J@S
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 638
    edited October 2023
    Very nice, is it an A or B width neck? Also what's the scale length on this one? Do you have a pic of the whole guitar?

Did you.put it together from parts?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It the typical A neck, 22.5” scale but has a notably chunky neck carve same as a ‘64 Strat, so has a familiar feel. 
    I bought it’s as you see it, but with the body stripped and varnished.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    JD50 said:  Did you.put it together from parts?
    So is this a Fender built guitar, or a partscaster assembled by somebody else?

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    JD50 said:  Did you.put it together from parts?
    So is this a Fender built guitar, or a partscaster assembled by somebody else?

It’s exactly the same model/year as this £6500 example at ATB Guitars:

https://www.atbguitars.com/1964-fender-duosonic-translucent-red-ohsc

• pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    That’s not a direct answer. Is the neck original to this particular body?
  • pt22 said:
    Do you have even the remotest intention to buy this guitar, or just policing my description for thrills?

The neck came fitted on this guitar when I purchased it several years ago, and has the same neck date stamp as the ATB example, and fully appears to have come with this mahogany  body which was only available in ‘64, as does the early ‘64 L plate, so as far as any modular Fender guitar could be said to be ‘original’, yes, this neck is original to this body. 

Hopefully that’s direct enough an answer for you to immediately now buy it right? ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pt22 said:
    Do you have even the remotest intention to buy this guitar, or just policing my description for thrills?

The neck came fitted on this guitar when I purchased it several years ago, and has the same neck date stamp as the ATB example, and fully appears to have come with this mahogany  body which was only available in ‘64, as does the early ‘64 L plate, so as far as any modular Fender guitar could be said to be ‘original’, yes, this neck is original to this body. 

Hopefully that’s direct enough an answer for you to immediately now buy it right? ;-)
    As an impartial but lustful observer , I’d say that’s a great answer to a very legitimate question 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pt22 said:

As an impartial but lustful observer , I’d say that’s a great answer to a very legitimate question 
    I was still confused, but then I didn’t do very well at school. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1087
    edited October 2023
    Cool guitar, I'm actually selling my all original (B nut width) 1966 musicmaster as well.
    pt22 said:

Right? How hard was that to answer without the snark? Someone buying a £2500 vintage refin is going to want to know that. 
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2103
    edited October 2023
    This is the problem with comments on sales posts, and why they should be banned. They're currently allowed because its meant to be a kind of self moderating forum. But is one person being quite aggressive, another person joining in for the hell of it because historically they know they're not clever, and a third person essentially selling their guitar off the back of the OP's post really any form of moderation?. No. It's just rude. Manners people, have some manners!.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @MikeS Sorry Dad.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 511
    pt22 said:

you managed to open your front door for me when I arrived at your house @theatreanchor so you can’t be that dim 
  • TDubs said:
    pt22 said:

you managed to open your front door for me when I arrived at your house @theatreanchor so you can’t be that dim 
    :D
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1087
    edited October 2023
    This is turning out to be quite funny..
     Anyway good luck with the sale @jumping@shadows ;
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 511
    edited October 2023
    @jumping@shadows @MikeS ;;;;

I don’t think anyone is trying to be deliberately spikey here. We all have a vested interest in guitars and have questions/queries about them whether we have an interest in purchasing them or not. I love vintage stuff and although I didn’t plan on purchasing this (I did contemplate it for a bit) I to had a similar thought/question about whether this was a vintage partscaster or all original with a refin and nearly asked the question myself. This is a discussion board after all and I don’t think asking a question on a sale thread , whether buying or not, is out of order. Appreciate there are some who do like to derail/throw daggers at stuff for sale.

FWIW cracking guitar at a decent price!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TDubs said:
    @jumping@shadows @MikeS ;;;

I don’t think anyone is trying to be deliberately spikey here. We all have a vested interest in guitars and have questions/queries about them whether we have an interest in purchasing them or not. I love vintage stuff and although I didn’t plan on purchasing this (I did contemplate it for a bit) I to had a similar thought/question about whether this was a vintage partscaster or all original with a refin and nearly asked the question myself. This is a discussion board after all and I don’t think asking a question on a sale three , whether buying or not, is out of order. Appreciate there are some who do like to derail/throw daggers at stuff for sale.

FWIW cracking guitar at a decent price!
    That’s a fair assessment mate!

I would have stated it’s a ‘parts guitar’ in the description if it was so, so being pushed to explicitly state as such as if I was cornered into an admission was weird.

Anyway, it’s a super rare and cool player grade example, and priced accordingly vs the one at ATB, who shockingly also doesn’t explicitly state if it’s a parts guitar or not ;-) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I must admit the question as to whether it was a parts special never crossed my mind from your description, but then vintage guitars are not my bag so that's not really surprising.

Fair to say there are more polite ways of asking you for clarification after the initial question :-)

It's a lovely thing for all that and GLWTS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bloody lovely looking guitar!
    GLWTS
  • vernvern Frets: 1
    Amazing looking guitar. Another GLWTS
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
     I think a little confusion came from the bit in your description talking about project and recently completed. 

It’s an absolutely gorgeous guitar and I have much lust. But alas no cash. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajl said:
     I think a little confusion came from the bit in your description talking about project and recently completed. 

Yes - this. 
    edited October 2023
    dazzajl said:

Indeed, and in my first read there was room to think OP wasn’t being totally open about the state of the potential project. 

Clearly that’s not the case, so I’ll apologise if my comment was a bit direct, but I don’t think what I was getting at was completely unfounded.

And no, while I’m not in the market to spend another £2500 atm, I am browsing £guitars for a reason. Even inflated as they are, music masters and duo sonics are decent prices for those shopping vintage, and I do also love a mahogany body. (My Parker was a lovely oiled mahogany) That’s why this post caught my eye. I shouldn’t have to explain myself but I don’t want folks thinking I’m posting trying to be a nuisance. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    pt22 said:
    dazzajl said:

Indeed, and in my first read there was room to think OP wasn’t being totally open about the state of the potential project. 

Clearly that’s not the case, so I’ll apologise if my comment was a bit direct, but I don’t think what I was getting at was completely unfounded.

And no, while I’m not in the market to spend another £2500 atm, I am browsing £guitars for a reason. Even inflated as they are, music masters and duo sonics are decent prices for those shopping vintage, and I do also love a mahogany body. (My Parker was a lovely oiled mahogany) That’s why this post caught my eye. I shouldn’t have to explain myself but I don’t want folks thinking I’m posting trying to be a nuisance. 
    Good post @pt22 .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • And sold! Thanks all