Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). El Estepario Siberiano - the coming of the drumming messiah - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

El Estepario Siberiano - the coming of the drumming messiah

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Sporky said:
    Dominic said:
    Great drummer no doubt but 
    Am I alone in finding a drum solo at a gig the most boring and awful experience that has ever been transplanted from the 1970s ?
    I think any true solo of just one band member is pretty dreadful.

There are instruments which work well on their own - piano, cello, classical guitar for example. Sadly there are far more people who think their playing deserves to be in its own spotlight.

Now I'm wondering if there's a reverse relationship between how important an instrument/player is in an ensemble, and how awful it is when they have their own spot. Drums and bass, for example. Very important in a band, excruciating when soloing.
    I've never really minded drum solos.  Having attended many rock and metal gigs in the 1980s I always thought the worst solo spot was when the guitarist came out and played a load of unaccompanied widdling nonsense.  Often pausing every few seconds to cup his ear as a cue to the audience to shout something... then more tuneless hammering-on nonsense... more shouting... etc. 

Even as an easily-impressed teenager I realised that rock guitar is pretty pointless without a drummer and a bass player.

Once or twice I've seen "solo" spots which begin with the drummer, then the bass player comes out and they start a groove, then the guitarist comes out to jam... Then finally the singer returns from snorting a huge pile of cocaine from the small of a teenage groupie's back, or whatever they were doing in those days, and they go into a song.  That was the best way to do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A shit solo is shit on any instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    He’s ace.

He got accused of speeding stuff up…
     so he drummed one handed holding a clock in the other! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Ginger Baker could turn out a good drum solo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AsterixTGAsterixTG Frets: 231
    He's superb and a great example of determination, hard work and application - however, by his own admission, the music isn't the end goal, technical ability is and it shows on occasion. He'll be nailing a track then throws in a technically accomplished fill that completely ruins the flow of the song.

I do enjoy watching him and his journey is interesting.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited October 2023
    AsterixTG said:
    He's superb and a great example of determination, hard work and application - however, by his own admission, the music isn't the end goal, technical ability is and it shows on occasion. He'll be nailing a track then throws in a technically accomplished fill that completely ruins the flow of the song.

Does he actually say that?  That's interesting.  I've always wanted to have technical ability (on guitar, not drums... and I have none), but only because it would enable me to play music I liked and enjoyed.  Of course there are many, many musicians who put in loads of effort in pursuit of technical ability, but it's never really crossed my mind that it was an end in itself.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    edited October 2023
    He explains everything here :

Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • yockyyocky Frets: 744
    ^^^^^ That is interesting about it not being about the music but about the challenge. I watched a Netflix thing about the speed climber/mountaineer Ueli Steck last night and he said a similar thing, it was all about the physical sporting challenge rather than any aspect of communing with the great outdoors.

Something about this guy doesn't really do it for me even though he's clearly incredible. I think like @p90fool said, it's not what I understand a drum kit to sound like. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    AsterixTG said:

I do enjoy watching him and his journey is interesting.

That's also my understanding, these are technical  showcase videos, not what he would play if asked to record a session.

The guy is incredible, and it's a joy to watch, taken in the spirit it's intended.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    That'a strange opinion.
    To me, the music is the only end goal.
    Doesn't matter how well you play if the music;s crap.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Bear in mind he is playing for the camera. I'm sure he would nail a tasteful part in a session with little hooks and the like
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 896
    edited October 2023
    I've watched quite a few of his shorts....... evidently he is immensely talented. Also he seems to be having a lot of fun and be geniunelly passionate about his playing. His back story tells me he struggled to do anything that wasn't strictly on his own terms..... but then thats been the case with many great players.....

It seems absurd to be critical of such a talented and likeable fella - but all I can say is it's not really for me...... he's fast, his technique is INCREDIBLE...... but like virtuosos on other instruments it leaves me a bit cold..... its repetitious also.... I'd like to see a bit more groove, a bit more feel..... the best drummers surely play for the song..... let's hear some funk or reggae..... anything with a bit of swing.....

I realise it's insane as he is evidently brilliant..... but being a great musician is about much more than being a great drummer/guitar player etc..... 

If I want feel and irrepressible joy I'd go -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj6o4cxWgl8

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ozifSOizM

Or even

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iePKcrATSA