Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Transformer case cracked - are there generic replacements available? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Transformer case cracked - are there generic replacements available?

What's Hot
I have a wall wart for a preamp for my record player and that plastic case has fallen apart. I had a quick search on ebay for a generic transformer case, but nothing obvious came up. Do these things even exist?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Unlikely to find that methinks. You would have more success just finding an equal or higher spec new replacement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    RS used to sell them about 20 years ago, although I haven't looked recently - but as jasonbone75 said, it's probably easier just to replace it with a new one of the same spec, unless it's something really unusual.

What's the spec (or what is the preamp)?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited October 2023
    The preamp should have supply and polarity details printed on it to source a replacement.

Safer probably too.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    edited October 2023
    It's a Pro-Ject Phono Box,16v, 50hz, 200Ma
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited October 2023
    edited October 2023
    The important thing is that it's 16V *AC* - most wall-wart type power supplies are DC output. (In spite of the Americans calling them "AC adaptors", which can make searching difficult...)

If the old one is 200mA and the new one is 500mA that's fine, the preamp will only draw as much as it needs - the 500mA capacity is just a maximum. (Edit - ) It draws 40mA according to the preamp spec.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Couldn't I just make a simple housing for it and wire it up to a plug?
    Couldn't I just make a simple housing for it and wire it up to a plug?
    Yes, you could. Whether it's worth the bother when you can buy a new one that will do the job for not much more than the cost of the parts to do that is debatable. But certainly possible, if you're practical and can do it yourself, and aren't fussed about whether it's safety tested - which will only be an issue if you ever sell it - as long as you've built it properly.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    edited October 2023
    A lot of these things are AC, as it's very easy to get a dual DC supply from a single AC supply which is ideal for audio circuits .. more headroom and cuts out a lot of coupling caps. 

Most AC supplies though will be a simple transformer in a box and it's rated voltage is when it's loaded as intended ... the open circuit or light load voltage will be higher so needs to be roughly right. 

You can buy a box from Rapid or CPC ...basically 2 halfs that screw together .. then  just cut 2 holes in it for the Mains in and low voltage out. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • There's nothing to the transformer. It's just 2 wires in and 2 out.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • It's beyond the gaffa tape, sadly. The plastic seems to have broken down entirely, so the prongs have gone too.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    In that case, I would be questioning the integrity of the insulation on the electrics.  Buy a new one.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    You could rehouse in something like this .. holes already cut 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32585916453.html

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Cheers for all the input, chaps :-)