Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Squier E-Series value - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Squier E-Series value

So a friend of mine has a Squier by Fender Strat (minus pickguard, electronics and pickups) from the 80s with a serial number starting with E6 that he is looking to move on. 

The body has been professionally routed a bit (it previously had a Sustainer installed) but otherwise it is in decent, player-grade nick. 

What would you say ballpark it is worth? Looking on Reverb there are people looking upwards to a grand for these in a more complete, unmodified state, though they don’t seem to be selling for that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1043
    edited October 2023
    I might not be looking at the right thing, but there is an E6 Squier from 1987 on Reverb for £450. And there is an E6 in the USA for less than £400.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong thing? 

If your friends one is missing all sort of parts and has been modded, it will be worth a lot less I guess. 

Some people think anything MIJ is worth a fortune - but as you say, are they actually selling? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited October 2023
    Pics of your friend's guitar would help.

The exact model of Sustainer will determine how much additional wood has been removed and where. 

Typically, the PCB is rear mounted in an area between the upper tone pot and the jack socket plate. Two or three mode switches poke through the top of the body.

The Fernandes Sustainer Kit comes in two versions - FSK-101 with a humbucker-sized neck position unit and -401 with a Stratocaster-sized unit. On most Stratocaster bodies, the -101 would require pickup cavity enlargement and a replacement pickguard.

A modified body would also require a cover plate for the PCB and a PP3 box to power it.

The body has been professionally routed a bit … otherwise, it is in decent, player-grade nick.
    steer said: 
    If your friend's one is missing all sort of parts and has been modded, it will be worth a lot less I guess.  
    IMHO, a modified and incomplete E6 Squier is a kit form project. The demographic for a Sustainer guitar will be pretty small. The more work that there remains to be done, the lower the monetary worth of the guitar. Nobody else would pay good money for a guitar full of holes.

The sort of Fretboarders who might take a punt on buying your friend's guitar are experimenters and cheapskates such as myself and HarrySeven.
    Be seeing you.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 897
    I’d say the body’s not worth anything really. The necks are really nice, so prob worth about £250 to the right person on the right day. Is it a maple or rosewood?
    gusman2x said:
    The necks are really nice
    This is true.

I have an E7 neck from a System 1 Stratocaster. Its heel is rubber-stamped ST62, indicating an early Sixties style rear profile but with a flatter 'board radius to suit the double locking vibrato.

The System series guitars transitioned from a Fender decal to Squier but the necks were identical.

FWIIW, the System 1 Stratocaster body was a lump of poplar. My entire loaded Squier body and string clamp sold cheaply on eBay. Good riddance.
    Be seeing you.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1170
    edited October 2023
    Pics of your friend's guitar would help.

The exact model of Sustainer will determine how much additional wood has been removed and where. 

Typically, the PCB is rear mounted in an area between the upper tone pot and the jack socket plate. Two or three mode switches poke through the top of the body.

The Fernandes Sustainer Kit comes in two versions - FSK-101 with a humbucker-sized neck position unit and -401 with a Stratocaster-sized unit. On most Stratocaster bodies, the -101 would require pickup cavity enlargement and a replacement pickguard.

A modified body would also require a cover plate for the PCB and a PP3 box to power it.

The body has been professionally routed a bit … otherwise, it is in decent, player-grade nick.
    steer said: 
    If your friend's one is missing all sort of parts and has been modded, it will be worth a lot less I guess.  
    IMHO, a modified and incomplete E6 Squier is a kit form project. The demographic for a Sustainer guitar will be pretty small. The more work that there remains to be done, the lower the monetary worth of the guitar. Nobody else would pay good money for a guitar full of holes.

The sort of Fretboarders who might take a punt on buying your friend's guitar are experimenters and cheapskates such as myself and HarrySeven.
    The routing is neat, but fairly extensive (space routed for Sustainer unit under the pickguard on the lower bout, bridge humbucker and it has a battery box on the back). Cavities are shielded.

The neck is really nice, as good a Strat neck as I have come across, nice dark rosewood and worn in feel.

The project is incomplete insofar as it needs pickups and a wiring harness.
    … and a Fernandes Sustainer Kit. :)
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Basically, it’s a neck.

If it’s in good condition with no serious fret wear, it should be worth about a third of the value of the complete guitar, possibly slightly more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

At this point, pics would REALLY help.
    Be seeing you.
  • At this point, pics would REALLY help.
    I don’t have pics to hand, sorry. 
  • ICBM said:
    Basically, it’s a neck.

If it’s in good condition with no serious fret wear, it should be worth about a third of the value of the complete guitar, possibly slightly more.
    Frets are in reasonable condition. Not super worn but not without wear either.