Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Moving on from the HX Stomp XL - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Moving on from the HX Stomp XL

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Thinking of moving on from the HX stomp XL.  I’ve had Helix LT, Stomp then Stomp XL over about 5-6 years.

It’s an excellent platform and highly recommended, but I fancy a change.  The trouble is it’s

hard to leave the comfort blanket, it does so much and there’s no easy way to replace what it does without spending a fortune!

Reasons for wanting to move on:-

• For a change, some new sounds. want some more individual effects (Deco, analog modulation etc)
  • Uses a high proportion of my power, limiting other options
  • Uses a reasonable proportion of space, limiting other options
  • Although it’s really controllable with the edit mode and expression pedal, I want some more physical knobs and less twiddling options. 

What I use it for, and what might replace it:-

• Modelling (at home and backup, although my amp has never let me down) – Replace with UA Dream 65 (only really use the Deluxe Reverb model anyway)
  • Delay. I like a nice tape delay and would like an anolog delay.  Replace with El Cap, analog to follow.
  • Chorus.  CE1 style – Replace with Jam Ripply Fall or CE2W (I love phase 45’s, so probably the former.)
  • Pitch (Poly Capo to go down) – Plethora X3
  • Looper, for rehearsal, occasionally live. X3
  • Tuner – X3

The X3 would also replace my Boss Oc-5.   I also have a Broadcast I’m moving on, so would have the budget to buy an X3 and El Cap at least to start with, then add the others over time.

Thoughts?  Has anybody moved away from a HX Stomp or Stomp XL and how did you find it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    I've moved away and back a few times !

Finally settled on an XL Stomp having tried all of the usual suspects. The ease of use cannot be under estimated with the Line 6 stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    I've moved away and back a few times !

Finally settled on an XL Stomp having tried all of the usual suspects. The ease of use cannot be under estimated with the Line 6 stuff.
    True!  Do you have yours on a board with other things, or is that all you use?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What about the HX Stomp or Effects combined with individual pedals ? Or a Plethora x5 ?
    What about the HX Stomp or Effects combined with individual pedals ? Or a Plethora x5 ?
    Yeah, I already use it with a Flint, Protein, Oc-5 and Fuzz.

I guess the driver is wanting to try different delays and mods away from the HX, but not having the space, power or funds without movfing away from the HX Stomp.

It's like being in a relationship that gives you everything and is perfect, but you just need a change.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    What about the HX Stomp or Effects combined with individual pedals ? Or a Plethora x5 ?

I guess the driver is wanting to try different delays and mods away from the HX, but not having the space, power or funds without movfing away from the HX Stomp.

It's like being in a relationship that gives you everything and is perfect, but you just need a change.
    sounds like what you actually need is more power and a bigger board. 

sgosden said:

sounds like what you actually need is more power and a bigger board. 

Nah, pedaltrain classic 1 is already too big, will probably drop back to a Jr.

Going to drop the modelling side off the board.