Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Heel Truss rod adjustment - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Heel Truss rod adjustment

What's Hot
S56035S56035 Frets: 833
edited October 2023 in Guitar
According to the Schecter website I have a "2-Way Adjustable Rod w/ Heel Access Spoke Wheel".  I bought it used and it never came with any adjustment tool.  It looks like I can just shove something the correct width in it and adjust but I'm not 100% sure.  What does the hive mind say?  Any old thing or do I need to buy a specific tool?

https://www.schecterguitars.com/C-1-Sls-Elite?quantity=1&custitem_color_master_list=437
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Yes, use whatever fits the hole, but if you can find something that fits 'snugly' then it will reduce the possibility of wear or damage to the adjuster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Cheers.  I will find something in the nonsense draw that fits!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Avoid using an Allen wrench or a square length of metal.  Try to find something with a round profile.  A small screwdriver with the tip cut off and the sharp edges filed off does the trick if you can find one with a snug fitting shaft.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • To echo what everyone else has said, one of my guitars came with that tool: it is literally just a piece of rod, lightly knurled at what I presume is the "handle" end.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    A chopstick.
    Cheers everyone.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    I did actually use a Phillips screwdriver on one I had, worked fine and there was no damage, but the adjuster wasn't particularly stiff luckily. The diameter of the screwdriver fit perfectly. On the Wolfgang I had, that came with a properly fitted round bar that worked a treat.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Offset said:
    A chopstick.
    No :). It will break off, and then you'll need to take the neck off to poke the remains out from the other side.

There is a reason I know this, though it wasn't me who broke it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    Offset said:
    A chopstick.
    No :). It will break off, and then you'll need to take the neck off to poke the remains out from the other side.

One to remember.  I will find something sturdier :-)  I'm giving it ago tomorrow though so if you see a thread titled "How do you remove something from truss rod spoke wheel" then you'll know how well that went :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    Offset said:
    A chopstick.

Someone snapped a plastic chopstick off?!  Bloody hell, that must have one stiff spoke wheel!!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Offset said:

Someone snapped a plastic chopstick off?!  Bloody hell, that must have one stiff spoke wheel!!!
    Some of them are. I’ve seen screwdrivers get bent as well. That… er… might have been me ;).

The proper tool is a steel bar with a section that fits the hole in the wheel, and a larger diameter main shaft.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    Offset said:

Some of them are. I’ve seen screwdrivers get bent as well. That… er… might have been me ;).

The proper tool is a steel bar with a section that fits the hole in the wheel, and a larger diameter main shaft.
    I couldn't choose between a lol or a wiz so went for a Wow!
  • Some of the the Fender ones on the Elite series Teles and Strats can be tight, I usually slacken the strings off, although I’ve heard of people pulling back on the headstock to take tension off the adjuster, I’m lucky enough to have an old screwdriver that’s a perfect fit.