Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). FS 1961 Gibson Melody Maker singlecut p90 conversion - Guitars £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

FS 1961 Gibson Melody Maker singlecut p90 conversion

What's Hot
designerseye88designerseye88 Frets: 938
edited October 2023 in Guitars £
Up for sale is probably the best vintage guitar bang for your buck you can get. It's a single cut Melody maker from 1961. This is probably one of the last single cuts made and is ink stamped. The guitar itself has undergone a p90 conversion which in my opinion makes these guitars much more playable. The conversion was done before I got the guitar. I've been fortunate to own a few of these and the only down side is the original pickups often feel a bit weak so I bought this one because it gives more options havign p90's. The guitar itself is structurally sound. No breaks or repairs except the obvious routing for the p90's, which although looks a little rough is actually a decent job. Most of the parts are changed but tuners are later double line Klusons and the bridge is one that you can actually intonate (Leo Quan) . The neck on this thing is what makes it. Nice and chunky, not really at all like most 60's guitars, to me its more early 50's. 

The guitar also comes with it's original case which is in good shape considering its nearing it's retirement, All latches work but the handle is broken. I'll chuck in a soft shell case too. Great way to get into something vintage which is genuinely usable as a gigging instrument. This is such a resonant guitar and is great fun to play at home or at a gig. The pickups are stacked p90's and sound excellent. 

Based in North Bristol but work central Bristol most days. 

£2250 with the case

£2000 without the case

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Just add I am happy to sell the guitar without the cardboard case
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Really tastefully done. Have a wow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    That's a great looking guitar and some fine pics, have another wow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks guys
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • designerseye88designerseye88 Frets: 938
    edited October 2023
    Bump for a cool players grade vintage guitar. Amended price to reflect selling the guitar with and without the case. 
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 389
    edited October 2023
    Very nice! I had a 1960 Melody Maker single cut away double pickups scored from Yuuki a few years ago on this forum (with the early fat pickups and a really chunky neck) that I sold and am still trying to buy back (the current owner is also on this forum). But the intonation on yours will be better, and I suspect also the replacement tuners and pickups - what sort of P90's are they? 
  • MikeC said:
    Very nice! I had a 1960 Melody Maker single cut away double pickups scored from Yuuki a few years ago on this forum (with the early fat pickups and a really chunky neck) that I sold and am still trying to buy back (the current owner is also on this forum). But the intonation on yours will be better, and I suspect also the replacement tuners and pickups - what sort of P90's are they? 
    Thanks Mike, Yeah those early fatter pickups are rare, and the double pickup with the fat pickups even rarer again! I hope you manage to get it back. 
    I would say on mine the playability is really good, It's so resonant too. The p90's I think are P100's. They are the kind of double stacked p90 so they don't make any humming noise. I'm not sure of the brand but whatever they are they sound very good and I decided against making any changes. 

• Bump for a cool vintage guitar 
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 584
    Very cool, love the lacquer checking on the finish!
  • Absolute cracker!
  • Thanks guys, it's a lovely guitar
  • Going to be listed up on reverb and the usual places later.