Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Denmark Street - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Denmark Street

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Maccaris were my favourite shops in that area of London through the 70s until they closed and moved to a nice new bigger shop (with less overheads)in Haywards Heath Sussex.
    Worth a visit if your ever in that neck of the woods.
    Still have a good online shop.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    GuyR said:
    At least two of the shops are associated with justin Harrison, the convicted fence of stolen guitars and former proprietor of the disgraced music ground group of companies, famous for their faked vintage guitars. See “rogue traders” the tv programme.
    I wouldn’t bother with any outlet on Denmark St in case any of the slime has wiped off from one of his shops.
    One of the Music Ground outlets is whatever Hanks is called now. What’s the other?

Regent and Sixty Sixty are decent/slime free. 
    This is all the Harrisons, right?
    https://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 7650
    Personally, I’ve never seen the attraction - even waaaay back, when there was a supposed ‘Golden Age’ of DS. IMHO, it was always ridiculously overpriced and full of wannabe too-cool-for-schoolers.

Maybe we were particularly blessed in our neck of the woods, but I don’t think I ever saw anything interesting in DS which (with a bit of digging/knowing people) couldn’t be found within a 50-mile radius of home (even in the days when your local shop might only have one Strat or LP in at a time and people would press their noses against the glass in awe).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DSO is Hanks online, yes.

Not dealt with Regent but Sixty Sixty, Wunjos, and Rose Morris have been okay to do business with.
  • Whitecat said:
    Are there no 'box shifter' type shops in that area or is it a market based largely on high priced (alleged) vintage stuff?
    A few stops north on the Northern Line is a smallish branch of Guitarguitar, but that’s about it. Most of the other bigger players went bankrupt and moved out of the west end ages ago. 
    Camden guitar guitar is excellent as are the whole chain of shops in England & Scotland and online imo.
    owned buy the people that work in them.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I used to like Roka's, and Andy's was as much a history lesson as a shop.

But my favourite shop was the bookshop next to Roka's, I don't think I ever came out of there empty-handed. 

Macari's was sort of honorary Denmark Street, as were ?Boogie? and FD&H. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2781
    Is that where Strike lives ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blueskunk said:
    Is that where Strike lives ?
    Love that series.
    Holly is becoming a massive film star  =)
  • Back in the 90's I used to cream myself going up there and if I had, had £800-1200 I would have been the happiest guy alive and got a dream guitar or bass, as said it was a glorious mecca. The last time I was there the 63 & 64 strat were both £20k over priced and £50 odd k for the 52' and broadcaster made me laugh. The sad thing is I could buy any guitar on denmark street but I never would. It just aint what it used to be, the OP was right about the Denmark street mafia comment.
  • I was in a few weeks ago. Surprised so many shops closed before 6 and didn't have time for a proper look. Most of the shops were overpriced - saw a 2012 Les Paul standard for 3.5k which must be close to double what guitarguitar would shift it for. Got the impression it was for rich tourists.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Was that a goldtop on the back wall at no Tom? Some scandalous things in there, they had an es335 in the window for about 12 grand with the most pissed stringline I’ve ever seen
  • kennyabiskennyabis Frets: 76
    edited October 2023
    I kinda got strange vibes off sixty sixty the one time had to deal with them. Long story short they stole a pickup on me and seemingly were selling guitars on behalf of a dodgy bedroom dealer called Chris O'donnell. Also got the feeling they were more interested in fashion and Instagram likes than anything else 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I used to go in after work sometimes when I was up in The Smoke.
    I haven't been for a while and last time it was a bit run-down with all the development, plus being a main road with traffic having been re-routed.
    I might drop in in the next few months, or I might not.

• Are there no 'box shifter' type shops in that area or is it a market based largely on high priced (alleged) vintage stuff?
    I don't think the box shifting business model makes sense with a shop in a central London location.
    Really,why not? It seems other big cities have large guitar retailers close to their central shopping areas. Or are you speaking specifically about the insanity of property prices in London in particular?
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 961
    edited October 2023
    kennyabis said:
    I kinda got strange vibes of sixty sixty the one time had to deal with them. Long story short they stole a pickup on me and seemingly were selling guitars on behalf of a dodgy bedroom dealer called Chris O'donnell. Also got the feeling they were more interested in fashion and Instagram likes than anything else 
    This is like my experience!