Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone seen that ABBA hologram show? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone seen that ABBA hologram show?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
I'm curious as to if it's any good? I do think it's quite a fascinating idea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Yes, though not the ''proper one'', we went to see it during it's premier, that had ABBA actually preforming on stage as well, not just the very impressive holograms.

Though it was really really good, I wouldn't have gone to see it if ABBA themselves weren't there to preform a few songs as well, to me despite how impressive the holograms are, and how fun a night it was, the holograms alone in my opinion are not worth the ticket price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yep, went last September.
    Absolutely blown away with the overall experience.
    Would happily go back again and am very jealous of @CavemanGrogg for seeing the real ABBA there too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited October 2023
    I'd like to see it, if I could get a really cheap - or ideally free - ticket.  I wouldn't want to pay big money.

I have seen a tribute band called Abbalicious at Center Parcs, that's probably pretty much the same thing, really.
  • Yep, went last September.
    Absolutely blown away with the overall experience.
    Would happily go back again and am very jealous of @CavemanGrogg for seeing the real ABBA there too.

I'm strange when it comes to ABBA, I absolutely loath everything they've recorded, here's the kicker, in my opinion I honestly think they are far far better now than they ever where at the height of their hey day
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Yes, though not the ''proper one'', we went to see it during it's premier, that had ABBA actually preforming on stage as well, not just the very impressive holograms.

Though it was really really good, I wouldn't have gone to see it if ABBA themselves weren't there to preform a few songs as well, to me despite how impressive the holograms are, and how fun a night it was, the holograms alone in my opinion are not worth the ticket price.

That sounds like a great experience. Tickets for the premier must have cost a fortune. Odd though, ABBA took a bow on stage at the end but didn't sing anything live. I suppose the avatars must have been really convincing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited October 2023
    Kilgore said:
    Yes, though not the ''proper one'', we went to see it during it's premier, that had ABBA actually preforming on stage as well, not just the very impressive holograms.

That sounds like a great experience. Tickets for the premier must have cost a fortune. Odd though, ABBA took a bow on stage at the end but didn't sing anything live. I suppose the avatars must have been really convincing.

They did preform live when we saw the show, hence me saying that they are far far better now, than they ever where in my opinion.  The tickets weren't too bad everything considered - we had to get flights and a hotel room to see it as well as tickets to the show due to it not being with traveling distance for us.
    edited October 2023
    Kilgore said:

They did preform live when we saw the show, hence me saying that they are far far better now, than they ever where in my opinion.  The tickets weren't too bad everything considered - we had to get flights and a hotel room to see it as well as tickets to the show due to it not being with traveling distance for us.
    Ah, I see, of course. The live songs must have been a special one off at the show you saw and none of the other shows then. You were very lucky!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Kilgore said:
    Kilgore said:

Ah, I see, of course. The live songs must have been a special one off at the show you saw and none of the other shows then. You were very lucky!

It was the premier, as I said, it was not the ''proper one''.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    edited October 2023
    I play at my dining room table.
    edited October 2023
    Kilgore said:
    Kilgore said:

Ah, I see.  Silly me, what am I like.
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    Her indoors went with her mother.  They both really enjoyed it. They thought it was really good. She said the holograms and light show stuff was great. 

You couldn’t get me to go though. I’d have to be forced to listen to ABBA. I think from a legal standpoint it’s a form of white noise and playing it at any volume could constitute a war crime.  
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    I’m with @Penn on ABBA but my wife went and loved it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Kilgore said:
    Kilgore said:
    Kilgore said:

I was at that show too. Led Zeppelin and The Beatles were the support groups.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I think people may be unclear on the hologram thing...

The big screens show 3D renderings of the actual members of ABBA, motion captured from actual performances by the 4 people. These are accompanied by actors/body doubles on stage effectively doing effectively same performance so that the show feels like it's being delivered by real people. Then there is a live band that plays over (under?) the original vocal tracks from the records. 

While ABBA themselves were there for a curtain call on opening night, they've never performed on stage as part of the show.

I find all this fascinating, its closer to a movie happening in real life than a regular concert, but I'd happily go see it. ABBA were awesome and anyone who disagrees is missing out

Good reading: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABBA_Voyage#Opening_night

https://www.vogue.com/article/everything-you-need-to-know-about-abba-s-voyage-costumes

https://deadline.com/2022/06/the-human-man-behind-the-abba-voyage-abbatars-1235040571/ ;
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Kilgore said:
    Kilgore said:
    Kilgore said:

I saw all four Beatles at the Load of Cobblers pub in Harwich in 1978. They only played a short medley of hits as John had to catch a flight back to NYC.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    I think people may be unclear on the hologram thing...

While ABBA themselves were there for a curtain call on opening night, they've never performed on stage as part of the show.
    that was my understanding as well.. if they had of sang live I'd imagine they'd be youtube footage of it somewhere.

They've only all sang together in "public" since 1986 at a private party in 2016 in Sweden - where they did one number - (the 2 blokes did Does Your Mother Know as well).
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • I went for a meal near the venue, and it was really loud. I could hear the drums from Nandos
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I used to work with a woman called Lynne and she went to see We Will Rock You at the Birmingham Hippodrome. She told me how great it had been to see Brian May. I politely didn't say "you delusional old woman." Anyway it was on the local news later that Brian had turned up and played half the show. I'm not trying to draw a parallel just reminded me. 

The ABBA thing seems to be doing okay. I think I've suggested before a KISS version in Las Vegas. Any successful band with a four letter name really. RUSH in Toronto, INXS in Melbourne, DEVO in Great Yarmouth,etc,etc. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    Took parents for their Christmas present . I'm not a huge ABBA fan, but the the whole show was very impressive and enjoyable. 
    no regrets at going, or spending out quite a bit, even for the "cheap seats". 

The live band where very good.  but i would say the whole thing is more an experience than a gig. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    edited October 2023
    Paint. Dry. Sorry trolling...
  • Just imagine a Roger Waters Hologram ! Where the audience can mute him via their phones :) 
    “Ken sent me.”
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Just imagine a Roger Waters Hologram ! Where the audience can mute him via their phones :) 
    It’s probably more likely to be Roger with a holographic audience ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajl said:
    Just imagine a Roger Waters Hologram ! Where the audience can mute him via their phones :) 
    It’s probably more likely to be Roger with a holographic audience ;)
    A holographic audience could be a fun thing for musicians  ,you could do something similar with those new Apple glasses I bet. 
  • I went a few months ago. Biggest concern was how believable would the ABBAtars be? Answer: after the first song it was very difficult to believe that you weren't seeing the band live in their hayday. My only criticism is that there were a couple of numbers not using the ABBAtars - just "standard" big gig scree projection. If you like ABBA songs at all then it is a fantastic night out

• MaakMaak Frets: 52
    edited October 2023
    I was at the premiere too,  As others have mentioned (unless there were multiple premieres?), the premiere I went to Abba were there but they didn't perform.   The experience depends a lot on where you are.  I've seen it a couple of times;  Once from the dancefloor in the middle and the other time in the very rear seats off to the side.  Anywhere in the center is best and on the dancefloor is even better.   
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Can I just note (because I'm learning it for the band) that Gimme Gimme Gimme has some really great guitar stuff in it. 

The bass breakdown and dancing are a bit naff, but the guitars sound great! 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited October 2023
    I took my wife, I like ABBAs music too so was happy to go, I think if you don't like their songs then you can't like music because the talent is undeniable, such great songcraft.

Anyway, I was blown away, absolutely amazing, the Abbatars were really really impressive as were the light show and production values. The fact it's a live band playing as well really gives it an excellent vibe. Would happily pay to see it again it was that good. My understanding was it's actually their own singing now, obviously played over the band, rather than stems from the studio recordings but regardless it was impressive.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Kilgore said:
    Kilgore said:
    Kilgore said:

The drugs made it feel real man!!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Abba are incredible.  Whether you like their songs or not, the composition and structure of Benny & Bjorn's output is of a rare quality.  Thesise have been written on it - seriously.

Ok, not every number is a joy, whose is, but most of them are excellent.

No band in history, to my knowledge, has had two musical films made that are tributes.  
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.