Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Why is my guitar rusty? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Why is my guitar rusty?

What's Hot
timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
edited October 2023 in Guitar
First, the pics, then I'll provide the context:

I got this guitar new in 2009 and always looked after it well. Cleaned it every restring which was more or less monthly, really looked after it. Then it was stolen in 2017. I got it back in October last year, and it came back looking exactly like the pics above. Given that it had lost the case it was stolen in during those 5 years, I assumed it had been kept badly, cleaned it up and put new strings on it.

It lived out for a bit, then we had to redecorate my office which has been slow, on-and-off progress, so it went into its case in January/February time and came out last night, and the pics above are how it's emerged!

It's been in the same room as all the other guitars for all this time, there's a pack of silica gel in the case and there's no dampness or corrosion in the case itself, so I'm utterly baffled.

The corrosion is only on the headstock - strings, screws, washers, tuners, machine heads. Below the nut it's as clean and fresh as when it went into its case. Those were pretty much new strings when it went into the case.

Any ideas? I haven't cleaned it up yet as I wanted to present this mystery, and given that I already did this last year, I'm conscious I may need to do something more preventative than just scrubbing.
Tim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Did you leave a celluloid pick anywhere near the headstock, eg wedged in between the wound strings?

That looks like nitric acid outgassing damage - notice how it's only attacked the nickel plating and not the steel plain strings, and only on the headstock and not over the fingerboard. Celluloid can do that, although it's usually only really old celluloid pickguards.

I did wonder about the truss rod cover, but it's not as bad right next to the nut. (And anyway I don't think it's celluloid.)

Or could something not easily detectable have been left in the case lining there?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Did you leave a celluloid pick anywhere near the headstock, eg wedged in between the wound strings?

That looks like nitric acid outgassing damage - notice how it's only attacked the nickel plating and not the steel plain strings, and only on the headstock and not over the fingerboard. Celluloid can do that, although it's usually only really old celluloid pickguards.

I did wonder about the truss rod cover, but it's not as bad right next to the nut. (And anyway I don't think it's celluloid.)

Or could something not easily detectable have been left in the case lining there?
    I was about to say acid fumes damage ... a few years ago I used nitric acid to relic some hardware and it looked just like this! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    edited October 2023
    Interesting, thanks both. No celluloid picks in the house, so it's not that!

And FWIW, it's chrome plating, not nickel, if that makes any difference?

Some extra info to confuse things then. I have two identical guitars (as in, sequential serials!) and before this one came back, its twin lived in the exact same case long term - also for months at a time. Same truss rod cover, same case, no corrosion. 

Although if, during its 5 year absence, it was stored with a celluloid pick that did the initial damage, could that make it more susceptible now even with no such thing obviously around? It also spent at least some of its absence in Blackpool without a case - sea air? Not much of that here in Birmingham, mind, but could it be more susceptible to corrosion having corroded previously...?
    Tim
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    You are zombie Rory Gallagher.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    timmypix said:

Yes, I saw that the machineheads are actually chrome plated, but chrome is plated over nickel and somehow the corrosion has got through the chrome layer - that's why the residue is green, which is the colour of corroded nickel (nickel nitrate, when exposed to nitric acid) - which is very typical of outgassing damage.

Why the wound strings have gone a more typical 'rust' colour (typical of corroded iron, ie steel) I'm not sure - especially as the plain strings, which are definitely steel, have not.

Although... I have just discovered that there's a form of chromium nitrate which is also green! I thought it was black. So maybe that is actually the chrome corroding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909

Metal parts are usually nickel plated under the chrome, and on a microscopic level, chrome is quite porous. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks @ICBM, understood!

It won't be going back in the case for a while now, so I guess I clean it and hope it doesn't come back.
    Tim
  • Because it gently weeps?  ;)
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    I have never seen anything like that before! 

I've got a couple of LTD's myself and whilst theyre always stored out, my room gets quite dusty and I have neglected them for months before with zero issues whatsoever. 

Hope you get to the bottom of it mate. That really sucks.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Might the thief have stashed it in a lockup with some sort of chemicals that are still lingering on the guitar
  • elstoof said:
    Might the thief have stashed it in a lockup with some sort of chemicals that are still lingering on the guitar
    Meth lab!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    elstoof said:

Thankfully not this one; another did come back stinking of weed and trainers and my only way around that was to stuff the case with dryer sheets!
    Tim
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I think the thief was Dorian Gray.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Offset said:
    I think the thief was Dorian Gray.

I did put the case in the attic before I made this post.
    Tim
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 203
    You say it came back to you looking like it does in the photo. I would suggest that whatever caused the corrosion in the first place has compromised the plating in that area. You can clean it off, but if left alone for any period it's always likely to return. 

Cliff
  • Another one of those strange people that name their guitars!
    Teflon said:
    You say it came back to you looking like it does in the photo. I would suggest that whatever caused the corrosion in the first place has compromised the plating in that area. You can clean it off, but if left alone for any period it's always likely to return. 

Cliff
    That is my fear. In which case I may need to replace the tuners, I assume.
    Tim
  • Initially chromium oxidises forming a thin layer of the oxide on top of the metal and that prevents oxygen getting deeper into the metal protecting the other metals underneath. Passivation. If that layer gets damaged then oxygen will seep further in to the metal structure. This would give rise to the underlying metal oxidising. This is what happened in old cars with chromed over steel bumpers when you saw rust blisters, similar to what you have here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    CampbellH said:
    Initially chromium oxidises forming a thin layer of the oxide on top of the metal and that prevents oxygen getting deeper into the metal protecting the other metals underneath. Passivation. If that layer gets damaged then oxygen will seep further in to the metal structure. This would give rise to the underlying metal oxidising. This is what happened in old cars with chromed over steel bumpers when you saw rust blisters, similar to what you have here.
    Thanks!

Let's hope replacing the tuners sorts it then.
    Tim