Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitar journey ups and downs - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitar journey ups and downs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited October 2023
    We definitely all have good and bad days. Progress isn't a linear thing - it's normal to have days where you make breakthroughs and days where you get frustrated. 

What you'll learn with more experience (23+years here..) is to recognise those blocks, push on them a little bit, then let it go for a day or two if it's still not working. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m not trying to be flippant, but expecting to nail Clapton after a year seems pretty ambitious.  He’s one of those players who makes it look easy, but it clearly isn’t.  

All I’d say is never give up.

I remember being frustrated because I couldn’t nail barré chords. Now I can’t imagine how I ever couldn’t do it. I can’t even force myself to play them as badly as I used to. 
    I wish I'd have known you back then as I could have told you that you don't use nails to form them,just your fingers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m not trying to be flippant, but expecting to nail Clapton after a year seems pretty ambitious.  He’s one of those players who makes it look easy, but it clearly isn’t.  

I remember being frustrated because I couldn’t nail barré chords. Now I can’t imagine how I ever couldn’t do it. I can’t even force myself to play them as badly as I used to. 
    I wish I'd have known you back then as I could have told you that you don't use nails to form them,just your fingers!
    You use the nails to hold down the strings your fingers can’t. It makes playing Smoke on the water a slow process, but it works. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

You use the nails to hold down the strings your fingers can’t. It makes playing Smoke on the water a slow process, but it works. 
    Whoosh! 
    I meant carpentry type nails,but a poor joke.

Whoosh! 
    I meant carpentry type nails,but a poor joke.

Yeah, I did as well. You nail down the strings you can’t manage with your fingers. Sorry, mine was a sh!t joke as well!
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 65
    Make sure you record yourself playing as much as you can. I have my recordings from about a year of playing and there's no way they would be on YouTube. It's so easy to think it's too hard or people are better etc but recording yourself means you have something to reference yourself to. I've been at it for about six years and I think I'm rubbish, too slow etc but I enjoy it, play in a band, play to YouTube etc. You find as time goes on things get easier like the example of the barre chords above. It's supposed to be fun do don't worry about your 'progress', you will be getting better even if you don't notice it....