Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Facebook - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Facebook

What's Hot
I don't use it much these days, but was looking for an old photo of my dad that uploaded some time ago.

Was quite shocked that in the first 50 posts there was only 1 post from a friend. The majority were sponsored or suggested posts, either about Liverpool, Christiano Ronaldo or heavy metal... none of which I am interested in.

Time to get rid? I think so.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    It’s definitely got more focused towards ads and “reels” (short video clips, most including a lot of click bait) rather than friend’s posts. But then it makes you realise how few friends actually post regularly on there now, so it has to be filled up with something I suppose. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yes it's rubbish. I have deleted the app from my phone and only log in now to post on our band page. But for personal use I can't be bothered with it, as you say the feed just tends not to show anything of interest and mostly ads or viral stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    edited October 2023
    I have three Facebook pages. I use my main one a bit although more for posting on groups than adding what I had for lunch. The other two (old band one I can't bring myself to get rid of and one where I deposit stuff about holidays) look like pretty much how you describe. I think it's just Facebook filling the void, if you are a regular user you do not get that. 

Edit: you still get annoying shite but not as much. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    edited October 2023
    Deleted years ago. Evil company and happy without it. 

They make leaving hard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The first 25 posts when I refreshed my timeline just now:

14 posts from my friends/groups/pages
    7 sponsored posts (i.e. ads)
    4 suggested posts from pages/groups I don't follow

But it's often much worse. Think it depends how many people/pages/groups you follow and how often you refresh your timeline. The algorithm tries to avoid showing you the same posts twice.
  • None of my friends post anything on that site anymore.  I'm glad I don't see any more photos of their food and cocktails.
  • I rarely use it, only the messenger app to keep in touch with band mates, sometimes I'll post guitar stuff on there but its all the same generated ads and stupid memes. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I actively manage my Facebook stuff quite a bit so whilst I do get the occasional stuff like you mention, mostly it's filled with the groups and pages that I follow - Stuff with Faces, Dull Men's Club, Classical Art Memes, People Incorrectly Correcting Other People, a few football pages and a tonne of wedding supplier groups etc, stuff like that. So it's actually quite useful to me as well as amusing me with stuff much more than any "friends" could on there. I don't think anybody my age really uses Facebook any more, so most of the normal people posts on mine (rather than the themed pages/groups) tend to just be 55+ people shouting about immigrants or burkas which I just unfollow as it's very dull.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 293

Facebook is my milk bottle

it lets you know that I’m around

and that I‘m dealing with life’s challenges 

not lying on the ground

so for all it’s faults and foibles 

I’m rather glad that it is here 

providing comfort and reassurance 

to those who hold me dear

or even those that don’t 

can be gracious that I remain 

an outpost of wit and wisdom 

with skin still in the game

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRees said:

Facebook is my milk bottle

it lets you know that I’m around

and that I‘m dealing with life’s challenges 

not lying on the ground

so for all it’s faults and foibles 

I’m rather glad that it is here 

providing comfort and reassurance 

to those who hold me dear

or even those that don’t 

can be gracious that I remain 

an outpost of wit and wisdom 

with skin still in the game

Facebook connects me with my bandmates:
    The drummer, the singer, the bassist 
    And also Clive my uncle,
    He's a mad old racist. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    never used it once and no intention of ever doing so
  • steve91steve91 Frets: 16
    I mostly use it for the marketplace now. I tend to use Instagram a little more for sharing stuff
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1572
    steve91 said:
    I mostly use it for the marketplace now. I tend to use Instagram a little more for sharing stuff
    Instagram is just as bad now though. I just want to see what the people I follow post, and in chronological order but that's impossible now.

I understand why these sites are like they are but it is annoying.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I don't have any ads.

I use the Facebook Purity browser plugin. It's very useful.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    go to feeds >> friends. It has been choking the front page for ages. I don't have ads either.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    I never got into FB or other comparable social media. The appeal of sharing the small details of my life with others remains a mystery to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Only use it for band promotion and depping availability.  It does get to people for that.

I message mates directly.   I don’t get the whole need to publish life stories to the void.
  • I recently logged back in after a year or two of it "deactivated". While it's pretty much as the OP describes, I also saw posts about gigs and albums and record labels that I had no idea were happening etc, so now I'm torn as to whether to stick around and more connected to what's going on, or delete again.

Initially I'd deactivated due to the aforementioned evilness, and I was happy just using Twitter, but we all know what happened there...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Timcito said:
    I never got into FB or other comparable social media. The appeal of sharing the small details of my life with others remains a mystery to me.
    Only use it for band promotion and depping availability.  It does get to people for that.

I message mates directly.   I don’t get the whole need to publish life stories to the void.
    Doesn't have to be the void etc.

My stuff only gets seen by my friends. I don't chase friends / followers etc. I have 50 and I know 45 of them in real life.
    You can pick the audience for each post.
  • Thing about Facebook is the more you interact with it the more variation you get. If you don’t stir the pot it gets stale and you get your feed full of crap they think you want to see.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If there were no ads then how would facebook pay for servers etc, staff ? Its the same with this forum , @digitalscream needs to make some money to pay for servers, holidays fast cars :)

“Ken sent me.”
  • If there were no ads then how would facebook pay for servers etc, staff ? Its the same with this forum , @digitalscream needs to make some money to pay for servers, holidays fast cars :)

I haven't been on holiday in 10 years, and I drive a 2001 MG.

I'm clearly doing it wrong ;)

Seriously, though...I could make a ton of money out of it if I festooned the site with ads. I'm forever being approached by ad providers who are shocked at the fact that we only have three ad units on the site, whereas most forums have at least three or four around the content and then an ad every four or five comments. The result of that is that most forums' ad revenue is at least four times ours, in some cases much more, despite us seeing significantly more traffic. In theory, I'd actually be able to work on the forum full-time if I did that, but it would compromise the site itself IMO.
    <space for hire>

I haven't been on holiday in 10 years, and I drive a 2001 MG.

I'm clearly doing it wrong ;)

Seriously, though...I could make a ton of money out of it if I festooned the site with ads. I'm forever being approached by ad providers who are shocked at the fact that we only have three ad units on the site, whereas most forums have at least three or four around the content and then an ad every four or five comments. The result of that is that most forums' ad revenue is at least four times ours, in some cases much more, despite us seeing significantly more traffic. In theory, I'd actually be able to work on the forum full-time if I did that, but it would compromise the site itself IMO.
    I think it’s Jemsite I sometimes pop on for a nose around & the ads make it a total pain. 
    Guitar world site & music radar are made nearly un navigatable  and the local news sites that are usually called Devon live  Cambridgeshire live etc usually stop my device working. 
    Well done on the excellent selfless management of your forum . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter