Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Marshall jtm20 combo ST20C - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Marshall jtm20 combo ST20C

billandobillando Frets: 17
So decided to buy the 20w studio version of the jtm45. I went for the combo version knowing i can pair it up with a cab if need be venue dependant.

Does anybody have this and what would it be like for smaller gigs unmiced? We play mostly in pubs but are a 5 piece including drummer. I am wondering what level of breakup (if any) this would get at (loudish) pub volumes. I know there is the 5w switch but i wouldnt say this would have enough punch to compete...maybe im wrong. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    I'd completely ignore the 5w mode for gigging. 

The full 20 *might* be okay, but it's very situation dependent. 

For me, 20w simply wouldn't be enough. 

I had a 20w Pink Taco and 1x12 cab and when it was literally as loud as it would go it would be somewhat comparable with my usual rhythm volume setting on my Small Box. 

If I needed a 3-5dB solo boost, nah. No chance - just more power stage compression. Whereas the 50 watter would obviously oblige.

Shame really, cos the Pink Taco sounds bloody great. I'd take a 40-50w variant for sure.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had a 30w bluesbreaker few years ago and it was far too loud. On that basis im hoping the 20w jtm will be a good volume. If not ill just sell it.
  • i have the 20w studio classic . I had it on half power for the first 6 months and it was fine. I played in a hardcore band at the time.
    you’ll be fine !!
  • Did you keep up with the band at 5w? Was the 20w too loud?
  • Played it on my own last night first impressions are that the 5w will likely not have enough punch but the 20w will be too loud at pub gigs. I have a fryette power station so i think i will try that tomoro....i have had varying levels of success with the fryette though. Some amps seem to go well with it others less so. Ill take vox ac15 and marshall jcm 800 50w combo also so will have options. 
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    billando said:
    Played it on my own last night first impressions are that the 5w will likely not have enough punch but the 20w will be too loud at pub gigs. I have a fryette power station so i think i will try that tomoro....i have had varying levels of success with the fryette though. Some amps seem to go well with it others less so. Ill take vox ac15 and marshall jcm 800 50w combo also so will have options. 
    I would love to hear the JTM and the AC15 used together, I imagine it would make a lovely racket
  • I played my wem dominator mk3 next to the st20c tonight and to my surprise the 15w wem was louder and punchier than the st20 at 20w. Not sure yet but i think im going to sell the st20c.
  • billando said:
    I played my wem dominator mk3 next to the st20c tonight and to my surprise the 15w wem was louder and punchier than the st20 at 20w. Not sure yet but i think im going to sell the st20c.
    Maybe give it a bit of time before you make a decision? Speakers make a difference, and perceptions with a band can be different to in isolation...