Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). G&L Tribute ASAT - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

G&L Tribute ASAT

What's Hot
I'm hoping to be in the market for a Telecaster once I've sold a guitar. I love country music so want a Tele to scratch my country itch but also for the versatility of it. 

I know there are alternatives, Squier, Reverend etc but also aware of the G&L Asat. I know there's been discussions on how G&L don't get anywhere near the attention that Fender do, despite its history. 

My question is, would a G&L Asat give me the traditional tele sounds or are the pickups too removed from what I'm probably after?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I'm hoping to be in the market for a Telecaster once I've sold a guitar. I love country music so want a Tele to scratch my country itch but also for the versatility of it. 

I know there are alternatives, Squier, Reverend etc but also aware of the G&L Asat. I know there's been discussions on how G&L don't get anywhere near the attention that Fender do, despite its history. 

My question is, would a G&L Asat give me the traditional tele sounds or are the pickups too removed from what I'm probably after?
    I had one which sounded perfectly teleish to me.  Probably a bit better than a standard mexican tele for less money.

Depending on your budget I would say a classic series 50s or 60s or a baja or MIJ are a bit better for slightly more money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckee said:

I had one which sounded perfectly teleish to me.  Probably a bit better than a standard mexican tele for less money.

Depending on your budget I would say a classic series 50s or 60s or a baja or MIJ are a bit better for slightly more money.
    Thanks - my budget is likely to be around £500
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    If you dont want to spend used baja etc money this would be a good buy to dip your toe:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/254543/fs-squier-fsr-classic-vibe-60s-custom-telecaster-250#latest ;

Would also be worth the same if you want to upgrade later.
  • munckee said:
    If you dont want to spend used baja etc money this would be a good buy to dip your toe:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/254543/fs-squier-fsr-classic-vibe-60s-custom-telecaster-250#latest ;

Would also be worth the same if you want to upgrade later.
    That's nice but the snob in me would prefer Fender (even though I know the Squires are good)
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 238
    I have a G&L ASAT Tribute and think it's a lovely guitar, the fit and finish is good and I love the woody orange colour.

The pickups sound good to me, but I have never played a Fender Tele so I can't compare them. I'm also just a home learner and have no experience of playing live with it. 

The frets were quite tarnished when I bought it but that is probably because I'm a lefty and the guitar had spent a long time in a warehouse waiting for a buyer. An hour with a polishing kit had the frets smooth and shiny. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    I’ve owned a Tribute ASAT which was a nice guitar but had a couple of small QC issues - paint a little messy in places, and jack was loose and rattled a bit. Admittedly a few minutes work sorted the jack so hardly an issue but this really should have been picked up at the factory. My (low-end) Fenders have all been better finished in both the paintwork and the hardware departments.

With a budget of £500 I’d probably be looking at Squier Classic Vibe or used Mexican Fender.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    G&L have always felt like nicely put together versions of the Fender models, with some well thought out changes in places. Daft as it is, I just can’t get past the Arsehat name though. 

For a Tele from the Fender stable, if it was my dollar going in the jukebox, I’d go with a top level Squier, Vintera Road Worn or one of the Mexican Signature models. The Squiers really are all the guitar anyone could ever need and from the ones I’ve played, the high end Mexican stuff plays and feels better than the US models. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    The pickups in most Tribute Series models are identical to the US-made models.

The ASAT and Legacy pickups with adjustable polepieces feature underslung ceramic bar magnets. They sound like slightly overwound Alnico 5 Fender pickups. They may prove too gnarly if you desire the "blackguard" sound.

My usual grumble with G&L Tribute series instruments is their weight. 
    Be seeing you.