Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Replacement volume pot for HSS strat - 250k or 500k? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Replacement volume pot for HSS strat - 250k or 500k?

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 814
Hoping an expert can help pls!

My main gigging guitar is a CS HSS strat with fat 60s in the neck and middle and a SD Jeff Beck in the bridge - the volume pot is noisy so I`d like to replace - ideally with one of the EVH low friction ones.

Shop floor traveller shows pots as `250k 10% taper split` - is a simple 250k pot the best option here, or are there pros / cons to a 500k replacement?

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• The JB was apparently designed to be used with 250k pots, so I'd go with that.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    More complex solutions are available....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
     Hi Neil, I hope all's well.

'Our Tyler' had 500K pots and  so I used the same for my Rob Williams HSS when I replaced the pickups with 2 Tyler JTS5500 single coils and kept the SD JB humbucker in the bridge and it works a treat. I added a Blower Switch and depending on what position you call the middle and bridge (2 or 4),  I think there might be an automatic or partial tap there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    edited October 2023
    You can put a 500k pot in and cleverly introduce resistors to have a single coil “see” a value closer to 250k when switched on. I have my HS tele wired up this way via a loom from @sixstringsupplies   Works great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • as PT22 said, that' what I did. 
    My humbucker was coil tapped so I had a resistor go to ground 'a la' the PRS way of doing it so my single coiled humbucker wasn't seeing 500k. Just work out the right resistor value for the humbucker output.
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 92
    The JB was apparently designed to be used with 250k pots, so I'd go with that.
    If that is the case... why change it. If it sounded good with the 250k 10% taper ( big change in vol from 10-8.5 with that taper) then replace it with a looser feeling 250k... why on earth mess around with 500k and resistor networks.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 392
    edited October 2023
    Fender have a dual pot control. one is 500, the other 250, on a single control.

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/parts/potentiometers/dual-500k250k-split-shaft-potentiometer/0990847000.html

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Bowks said:

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/parts/potentiometers/dual-500k250k-split-shaft-potentiometer/0990847000.html

A completely unnecessary overcomplication which makes the switching messy, reduces reliability and increases noise. A simple 500K pot and a resistor for the single coils is a far more sensible solution.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    ICBM said:
    Bowks said:

A completely unnecessary overcomplication which makes the switching messy, reduces reliability and increases noise. A simple 500K pot and a resistor for the single coils is a far more sensible solution.
    Won’t that change the taper? 

(Academic question, not that it would be a big problem). 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

Yorkie said:

Won’t that change the taper? 

(Academic question, not that it would be a big problem). 
    No, it's purely to change the load on the pickup - upstream of the volume pot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Surely the resistance will be lower if you have parallel pots on 10?
    I think I need to see a diagram, because I’m a bit lost :confounded: 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

prowla said:
    Surely the resistance will be lower if you have parallel pots on 10?
    If you mean the Fender dual one - no, because the guitars they put it in use complex switching so only one is in use at any time. This is exactly why it's a bad idea, because the two extra switch poles the signal has to go through are two extra potential failure and switching noise points. (And because it ties you into using the same relatively uncommon parts to fix it if something does fail.)

Some of the switching schemes to add the extra resistor also require a superswitch - which are also bad for switching noise compared to a standard 5-way - but there are several possible ones which don't.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Yorkie said:
    Some very useful diagrams and info here, from sometime FB'er @sixstringsupplies:

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/pages/hss-strat-wiring-diagram

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    Yorkie said:
    Some very useful diagrams and info here, from sometime FB'er @sixstringsupplies:

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/pages/hss-strat-wiring-diagram

Cheers!