Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Banning Mobiles in Schools ??????? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Banning Mobiles in Schools ???????

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    RobDavies said:
    Phones have airplane mode already.  Why not develop school mode and enable that during school time.  
    Often wondered that myself.   As well as why music venues can’t block photo/video recording apps?…
    Honestly, not that I go to many gigs these days, but that would be bloody brilliant in my book! In terms of a school mode, it's not hard to imagine Apple implementing something like that into Screen Time. It would certainly help regulate the distracting and addictive use of smartphones for kids.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84 said:
    RobDavies said:
    Phones have airplane mode already.  Why not develop school mode and enable that during school time.  
    Often wondered that myself.   As well as why music venues can’t block photo/video recording apps?…
    Honestly, not that I go to many gigs these days, but that would be bloody brilliant in my book! In terms of a school mode, it's not hard to imagine Apple implementing something like that into Screen Time. It would certainly help regulate the distracting and addictive use of smartphones for kids.

There is, and it's getting more and more common to see it being used.  It's done via lighting which blinds cameras while at the same time not effecting people's vision, it's a pretty cool system.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited October 2023
    If it can win a vote from some out of touch throwback, who cares…. Kids just want to emulate their parents. Parents are the faulty role model, not the school saying switch them off.

I assume everyone posting here has not got kids to spend their time with either.

Any school bothered already has put systems in place and already has the option to do more.. switch off in class, store is a wall unit/named bag, etc.    

It’s just desperate vote chasing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    edited October 2023
    Omg how are they going to pay for their cigarettes at lunch?
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    It's not mobiles that cause most of the trouble in schools, it's children. Just ban the little buggers.

Oh wait ... then they'd be out here causing mayhem instead of safely locked up in there. Hmmm ....

As you were.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    RobDavies said:
    Until recently, my missus had worked in a secondary school for 15 years.   

The biggest threat to ‘normal’ kids education isn’t mobile phones but is actually shit parents who are constantly defending their shit kids for doing shit things.   Barely a day went by without some Mum or Dad coming to the school to threaten violence against teaching staff - usually for something like insisting the kid wears school uniform instead of a Nike tracksuit.   Their kids are feral, weed smoking, knife carrying bastards - who not only terrorise teaching staff but then do the same to local retailers and other kids once school has kicked out.  

Even when I was teaching 20 years ago, parents were the main issue.. no support for teachers, education and disregard for authority.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    beed84 said:
    RobDavies said:
    At the Bob Dylan shows last year you had to put your phone in a shielded envelope. They unlocked it as you left with a magnet like they use to remove tags from clothes in shops. Thought it would cause delays but was really efficient and only took a second longer to leave. Plus it was great tot to have to look at the back of someone’s phone held above their head. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Dominic said:
    Chalky said:
    I find it odd how many parents think that if their child didn't have their phone "it could be dangerous".  Certainly it could be a huge worry.  But is it inherently "dangerous"?
    Indeed , We never had mobiles( or the 2p for a phone box ) and are here to tell the story 
    I wouldn't describe it as dangerous, but it is certainly safer to have one. 

There have been many developments in human history that help make life a little safer. It's ridiculous to reject those developments because the previous generation didn't have the same opportunity to benefit.

My eldest daughter has just started secondary.  It is the opposite direction to my youngest daughters school.  Even if I wanted to, there is no practical way I can do all the school runs.  The only option is for her to walk to school, which is about a mile away from our house.

I believe it is safer for an 11 year old girl to walk in a group than walk alone.  Her phone helps her organise who she is walking with, where to meet, lets them know if she is running late etc. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I am more aggrieved by the senseless waste of question marks in the thread titke.

Profligate! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Sporky said:
    I am more aggrieved by the senseless waste of question marks in the thread titke.

Profligate! 
    Obviously caused by someone paying too much attention to their phone in class. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137
    Dominic said:
    In my little retro world they would never have got into schools in the first place .Nothing worse than the distraction from learning , youtube and Tik-Toking which kids seem to love watching.....all the silly pranking vids etc and of course their non-stop chat groups and snapchat stuff.
    That sounds like most adults these days. 
  • RobDavies said:
    Until recently, my missus had worked in a secondary school for 15 years.   

The biggest threat to ‘normal’ kids education isn’t mobile phones but is actually shit parents who are constantly defending their shit kids for doing shit things.

I do think this is it & to add drama, the societal moral fabric is collapsing. Everyone likes a good fight with authority but rules & boundaries need respected otherwise you just can’t work together. 

I am friendly with a couple of teachers in my child’s primary school, they describe the kids  being constantly disruptive meaning the teaching of the decent kids is barely happening. It’s more of a holding pen. One of these teachers quit over the summer, she couldn’t take not only the pupils but the parents aggressive attitude. In their eyes the teacher was wrong, their child ain’t done nuffin’ - that was P3

it’s not the phones, it’s the parents.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    My son's art teacher quit during the Easter holidays, they didn't even bother to get a substitute in. They just did away with art as a subject and replaced it with more PE for the remaining 3.5 months of the school year.
    We complained multiple times as art was his favourite subject and PE his worst, they never even bothered to respond to the emails or call back when they said they would.
    You've got to wonder why a teacher is just quitting in the middle of the year.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    edited October 2023
    I teach college level writing in the US. Ten years ago I would ask students not to use phones in class, but the tide of social change has been too strong. Whenever they finish a task, their faces are glued to these little screens, soaking up likes faster than Jesse James could pull out his Colt. What matters to too many of them is a  synthetic, virtual reality, and they dive into it whenever they can. It's an addiction way stronger than anything I've ever seen. When I smoked, I could at least postpone the rush; not so with phone/ social media addiction.

Aside from the distorted view of reality it provides, what worries me is that it eliminates the interior world of contemplation. Many of us have moments in our day when we think, let our thoughts run over stuff, imagine. I fear that many of the kids I teach never, or very rarely, have such moments. If they are not actually doing something, their faces are in the screens; there is no quiet, contemplative world left.

Needless to say, this creates problems for writing because much of it relies on drawing thoughts from inside the mind.  Many students can get quite perturbed when they find that an assignment demands that they use their own experiences and thoughts as the bases for an essay. For them, information is 'out there.'

But what can be done? As someone has observed, that ship has sailed. The phone, I think, is akin to a new religion in that the way so many people use it pacifies them and enables them to put up with lives that are otherwise dull, sad, or unsatisfactory.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    A outright ban is stupid. No, the phones are not essential, but it is damn useful to know I can contact my son, or him contact us if there is an issue. You don't need seat belts in a car, until you need them.
    My son's school have tightened thier policy. Any phone usage during the day means it gets conviscated and a parent has to collect it the next day. So he takes his phone, but it is off during school time. If we need him desperately, we call the school. Just like the old days. Although, its slightly hypocritical as they set homework and send out info electronically that the children would access on thier phones, which they can't now. Some teachers would also allow phone use in class too, if it was work related. Any why not? Used properly they are a damn useful tool. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.