Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD No longer a Strat virgin - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD No longer a Strat virgin

What's Hot
Following on from my earlier thread, I’ve just picked up my first Strat. :)

It’s an MIJ ST-62 from 93/4. The previous owner stripped the poly finish and refinished in worn daphne blue nitro and a very nice job he made of it imo. 

Wasn’t sure I’d get on with the 7.25” radius but the neck is gorgeous, described by the seller as a chunky C it’s probably the comfiest fender neck I’ve ever played. No issues with bends past the 12th fret which is one area I was concerned with. Lovely dark rosewood board and frets are in great condition. 
Haven’t done a full plugged in test yet but first impressions from my katana mini are very good. 

I think the pickups are alnico going by the photos. The switch could do with some contact cleaner as it’s a bit noisy and it doesn’t have a trem arm so need to figure out what type will fit. 

No idea of wood type or anything else, think they’re usually basswood or alder?

Still don’t know how to post pics but here’s a link…

https://imgur.com/gallery/NGytd8U

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537

nice 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

The switch could do with some contact cleaner as it’s a bit noisy and it doesn’t have a trem arm so need to figure out what type will fit.
    Don't waste even that much switch cleaner - those switches are total junk. Replace it with a CRL and don't look back :). The pots are good though, if they're at all dirty they should clean up fine.

The arm will be a M5 thread.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    It looks as if the neck shaft was stripped and refinished too?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1179
    edited October 2023
    @SteveRobinson yeah the neck was refinished in nitro as well. 
  • Thanks @ICBM I did think it might need replacing. Thanks for trem arm info also. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Also, if you're doing wiring work, it's worth twisting the pickup wires together, and replacing the wires to the jack with a shielded cable, or twisting them as well if you'd prefer to keep it 'vintage' - this reduces noise quite a lot. The jack may also be worth replacing, the MIJ ones aren't that great compared to a US Switchcraft.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks for the tip, I’ll sort that all out next string change. :)
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Sure is a looker, great strat!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    edited October 2023

Wasn’t sure I’d get on with the 7.25” radius but the neck is gorgeous…

Nowt wrong with 7.25” boards. They’ve only become ‘difficult’ since the internet was invented.

Nice looking guitar you’ve got there. Enjoy.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had a 52 AVRI Tele that was lovely until you tried bending the E or B strings. No amount of adjustment ever got it to where I was happy with it. Sure a competent tech would’ve fared better but I moved it on. In fairness though, that’s been my only other experience with 7.25” necks. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    HAL9000 said:

Nowt wrong with 7.25” boards. They’ve only become ‘difficult’ since the internet was invented.
    Well... not really.  I had a Tele with a 7.25" board and I sold it because I couldn't live with it.  Pained me to do so as well because it was in every other respect a fab guitar.  I'd never buy another guitar with that style of neck.  Horses for courses of course.
  • Offset said:
    HAL9000 said:

Well... not really.  I had a Tele with a 7.25" board and I sold it because I couldn't live with it.  Pained me to do so as well because it was in every other respect a fab guitar.  I'd never buy another guitar with that style of neck.  Horses for courses of course.
    That’s kinda how I was dude - I was convinced 7.25” wasn’t for me based on the one guitar I’d owned. It’s obviously early days and I might decide that’s the case but this one definitely feels better, bends above the 12th fret ring out fine and the overall action is still what I’d consider to be low. 
    I’m much more fussy with neck profiles/radii with Fenders as I’m used to Gibsons and have to say this is the most “natural” feeling Fender neck I’ve played which is bizarre considering how un-Gibson it is. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Cool colour. Nice board. You've been touched, for not the very last time. Hope you enjoy the strattiness and the neck pickup and the way they balance on a strap. HNGD.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong