Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Help needed - strange noise - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Help needed - strange noise

What's Hot
PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3390
After set up and sound check at the weekend, I noticed that there was an intermittent crackle/buzz (hard to explain exactly what it was) coming from the cab of my amp - Revv D20 head. Assumed it was a dodgy cable on the pedal board or something of that ilk, so unplugged the input into the amp, same thing happened. Amp seemed fine through the gig, although I was rather worried it was going to give up on me.

Am I to assume this is valve related? Any advice/opinion welcomed....!
This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• You have isolated it to an internal issue on the amp which is a start. If you have spare valves that's your best option for a first diagnostic at home. Swap them one by one and if the noise goes away you found the culprit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3390
    You have isolated it to an internal issue on the amp which is a start. If you have spare valves that's your best option for a first diagnostic at home. Swap them one by one and if the noise goes away you found the culprit.
    Thanks - I don't have spare valves so i'll need to buy them. Will start there and see how I get on.

I was thinking about doing that anyway, just needed some reassurance :)
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Yes, it could be a duff valve... they can do this unfortunately. Hard to guess which one - if you want to check it yourself, you need one each of the types it takes, and preferably a matched set for the power valves. Replace each valve in turn with a known good one until you've found the problem - don't worry about biasing for the power valves at this point (if it's an amp which needs it).

If that doesn't find it, it's not a valve problem and you need a tech to look at it if you're not experienced with working on amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson