Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Eventide TimeFactor or Strymon Timeline . . Which one ?? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Eventide TimeFactor or Strymon Timeline . . Which one ??

What's Hot
maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
edited October 2023 in FX
I'd love a really good Delay Pedal and I'm struggling to choose between these two . . . The more YouTube video's I look at the more confused I get . . I've seen the Strymon on eBay go for £275 ish to £300 and the Eventide go for a little less so "secondhand" they are both in my budget . . . Dont get me wrong I've seen them both go for more but, over this weekend in particular, in the bargain basement thats what I've seen . . . I'm leaning more towards the Strymon at the moment but the Eventide is a very much loved pedal too ??? Any comments, advice greatly appreciated . . . Cheers 
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited October 2023
    I prefer the Timefactor, but both are good pedals. My main thoughts off the top of my head: 
    • Timeline is better at darker, swirly, analog-sounding stuff
    • Timeline's preset switching is easier as you don't need any external switches
    • Timefactor is better for digital sounding stuff. 
    • Timefactor is better for dual delays - parallel lines on different tempos
    • Timefactor needs a 2 or 3 button aux switch to be able to bank up/down, select patches and tap tempo. It's absurd that they haven't ever updated it to let you do this by pressing 2 buttons at once for bank u/down like the Timeline - I assume there's a hardware reason why you can't otherwise they would have. 
    • Timefactor needs an adapter for power. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Probably worth adding the empress echo system to your list. 

Fwiw (which is probably very little) I found the timeline perfectly…..”fine”. A cheese sandwich of a pedal. Perfectly sufficient, even enjoyable at times, but a bit joyless. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Yeah, the Echosystem is probably my favourite sounding do-all delay pedal, and the parallel implementation is incredible powerful. My only problem was the UI - I found it a nightmare to remember how to create, save & recall patches, which just annoyed me & slowed me down every time I used it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 985
    edited October 2023
    I have an echosystem currently for sale if you decide to go for it. I’m fairly sure I’ll regret selling it and buy another one at some point but the merry go round doesn’t stop for me. 

Even if you don’t buy mine I’d recommend the Echosystem. It does something special that most other digital delays don’t do quite the same. It genuinely sounds more analog and less like modelling. 

Also it has a multitrack looper built in which as far as I’m aware no other delay pedal has. 
  • I would say that if you decide on a time factor it would probably make more sense to buy the H9 Max and it has all the time factor algorithms in it and a ton more stuff as well and it takes up less space. 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    I would say that if you decide on a time factor it would probably make more sense to buy the H9 Max and it has all the time factor algorithms in it and a ton more stuff as well and it takes up less space. 

I did have a quick look at the H9 Max but it broke my Budget by quite a lot :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  !