Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Best shops to sell your gear to? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Best shops to sell your gear to?

What's Hot
I can wait to sell my gear, but when it takes forever, it seems like I have to give up some 20% of my sales to a shop. Any decent places to take gear to for good prices? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 25
    I can’t say who is the best, but GuitarGuitar are not. Out of curiosity I contacted them a year ago about a guitar and a couple of pedals. The prices they quoted were around 40% less than what I would have expected from a conservative private sale estimate. 

I’ve found that local, non-chain, second-hand guitar dealers are the best to deal with. Mainly because they know the market and know what will sell and for roughly how much. 

They are just wanting your custom and a small profit, whereas GuitarGuitar and the like (seemingly) just want to take advantage of people wanting rid and to make the biggest cut possible
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Coda the best for px.

It will sell on here or eBay… if its priced right :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    In my experience Coda offer the fairest prices.  

Guitar Guitar, were ok, but I’ve only used them for PX. 

Guitar Village were the shop equivalent of eBay lowballl nutters. They obviously didn’t want what I had. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks all. Dropped prices here to see if they sell. Would rather deal with private buyers tbh. 
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    HT986M2 said:
    I can’t say who is the best, but GuitarGuitar are not. Out of curiosity I contacted them a year ago about a guitar and a couple of pedals. The prices they quoted were around 40% less than what I would have expected from a conservative private sale estimate. 

I’ve found that local, non-chain, second-hand guitar dealers are the best to deal with. Mainly because they know the market and know what will sell and for roughly how much. 

They are just wanting your custom and a small profit, whereas GuitarGuitar and the like (seemingly) just want to take advantage of people wanting rid and to make the biggest cut possible
    Agree on Guitar Guitar few years ago they used to give decent offers or they will reduce the price of the item you wanted to PX trade  a fair bit but now it's just terrible, they offer you an almost joke value same as Rich Tone.

Coda is great and Doug it's flexible where he can, Andertons is straightforward as they have in there Q&A how much they will offer but they don't offer cash just PX trade.

For dealers I think Jordan Guitars offers a decent cash deal especially for high end stuff.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    I’ve sold on a commission sale basis via Sound Affects in Orskirk. The guitar sold very quickly and even though I paid them 20%, I ended up with more than I was likely to have, had a sold it privately. I know they buy things in as well but I’d assume they would (understandably) want a higher margin.

If I were selling a reasonably expensive instrument again, they would be my favoured option.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137
    Try Hippo Guitars in Derby. I've had stuff valued by them few times and they did it very close to second hand prices on eBay. 
  • Calla85Calla85 Frets: 15
    KrisGee said:
    Try Hippo Guitars in Derby. I've had stuff valued by them few times and they did it very close to second hand prices on eBay. 
    Agree on hippo, they offered me a good price on an item I was looking to sell and we're transparent about what they would look to retail it at. 
  • Realistically, the closest place to me is Charlie Chandler's so I'll probably end up going with them. They're good people and I know they won't rip me off. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    Do you mean selling directly to a dealer for cash, or getting a dealer to sell your gear in their shop for you on commission. The former will guarantee you receive the lowest amount of cash for your gear of all the options available! 
  • Definitely not Waterloo Music in Yeovil. When I was selling my Hughes And Kettner rig, I was considering part exchanging for an Ibanez baritone acoustic they'd had in stock for ages, priced at £529. For my entire H&K rig (GrandMeister 36 head, TM 212 cab and midi footswitch) they wanted to give me £120! I went on to sell it all privately for £600, and bought a different Ibanez baritone for £250!

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I was happy the time I used "Sell Us Your Guitar". They may not offer the best prices, but using them removes so much faff that it's worth the difference. They send you a box and wrapping. They arrange collection too. It's all sorted. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Do you mean selling directly to a dealer for cash, or getting a dealer to sell your gear in their shop for you on commission. The former will guarantee you receive the lowest amount of cash for your gear of all the options available! 
    Yeah it looks like the second option, really. 20% seems to be the (rather extortionate) rate. 
  • I was happy the time I used "Sell Us Your Guitar". They may not offer the best prices, but using them removes so much faff that it's worth the difference. They send you a box and wrapping. They arrange collection too. It's all sorted. 
    In my experience SUYG actually offer toward the higher end of part-ex values, would highly recommend for ease of things. GAK and Sound Affects have also offered me what I considered to be ‘fair’ part-ex values in the past*

PMT are a bit up and down but can be generous on occasion, GuitarGuitar are well worth avoiding and RichTone’s offers are genuinely insulting.

* ‘fair’ in the sense that offer feels reasonable to all parties. I’m not expecting anyone to offer the equivalent of a private sale price. I should also stress that I’ve had positive shopping experiences with all the retailers I’ve listed and would be happy buying from them in the future, it’s just who I do and don’t bother checking in with if I’ve got gear to part-exchange!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    Do you mean selling directly to a dealer for cash, or getting a dealer to sell your gear in their shop for you on commission. The former will guarantee you receive the lowest amount of cash for your gear of all the options available! 
    Yeah it looks like the second option, really. 20% seems to be the (rather extortionate) rate. 
    20% commission is not bad actually. The worst are those that say ‘you tell us how much you want for it and then we’ll add our bit on top’. Then when you see your guitar for sale in the shop you notice that ’their bit’ is 40%!
  • Do you mean selling directly to a dealer for cash, or getting a dealer to sell your gear in their shop for you on commission. The former will guarantee you receive the lowest amount of cash for your gear of all the options available! 
    20% commission is not bad actually. The worst are those that say ‘you tell us how much you want for it and then we’ll add our bit on top’. Then when you see your guitar for sale in the shop you notice that ’their bit’ is 40%!
    Maybe I’ll just keep the guitars. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 291
    I use Sound Affects in Ormskirk as well, in fact they have one of my guitars on sale at the moment (Tele) 
  • People need to stop taking this stuff personally and consider that if a shop isn’t doubling its money, it isn’t worth it for them.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Personally, I’ve been perfectly happy with how I have been treated by my local GuitarGuitar shop. In fact, there have been times, including a recent transaction, where I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how much they have offered.
  • Personally, I’ve been perfectly happy with how I have been treated by my local GuitarGuitar shop. In fact, there have been times, including a recent transaction, where I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how much they have offered.
    Me too. GG have even given me half decent money for guitars which wouldn't shift privately.
  • Depends what you are selling but Guitar Classics in Battersea is worth a punt. Graham is a great guy and only charges 10%
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 569
    I was going to say this as well. Once you take off tax and overhead costs for a business there’s not much left to make it worthwhile. 
    And it’s better than the scenario of being offered 50-60% of the second hand value like a lot of cowboy shops do *cough* richtone *cough*

I’ve also used SUYG loads of times and their offers are generally good. Plus their selling prices are pretty reasonable too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Doug and Marc at Coda are good to deal with, especially if you have something a bit off the well worn Fender or Gibson paths.

I don't think Coda do commissioned sales but can always come up with an interesting trade in deal.  
  • I've generally sold privately, but recently used Sell Us Your Guitar and the experience was very good. The guitar I was selling was not exactly mainstream, so I wasn't sure what I'd get for it tbh. I felt that their initial offer was too low, so I politely declined it and told them what I felt it was worth if they wished to reconsider. The guitar was mint condition and I provided several photos to prove this. They accepted my price, sent me a box with packing material and instructions on how they wanted it packaged. It was collected at my convenience and they paid me the day after they received the guitar. A very smooth transaction. I've only used them the once, but based on that experience I'd recommend them.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Steve's Guitar Centre at Southsea will happily sell on a commission basis.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    The chat I pick up today from dealer friends is that it has never been so hard to find good gear to buy - Obviously you, as the seller, have far more options today where you can try and sell it yourself at a good price - But dealers need gear and for a nice guitar, that suits their profile,  the dealer will pay 'above market price' to get it on his wall - Hence reduced profit - But that is better than empty wall hangers in the showroom - No dealer makes a profit with empty shelves 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    I was happy the time I used "Sell Us Your Guitar". They may not offer the best prices, but using them removes so much faff that it's worth the difference. They send you a box and wrapping. They arrange collection too. It's all sorted. 
    I've just been in touch with these clowns about selling my R9 that I have in the classified.
    I was offered a pathetic price, they would have easily put £1500 on it when they put it up for sale on their site.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter