Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Recommendations for London hotel with parking - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Recommendations for London hotel with parking

What's Hot
Hoping to organise a London weekend in November. Travelling from North West and train tickets seem unavailable, so looking for a central hotel outside congestion zone with parking available - preferably bookable parking too.
Has anyone here got any recommendations?
I am trying to avoid — “if only we had known!”
etc.

ta Jon

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    If it’s outside the congestion zone it won’t really be central. Presumably you won’t be driving much once in London, so as long as you arrive and leave outside the operating hours it won’t apply anyway.

The zone runs from 07:00-18:00 Monday-Friday and 12:00-18:00 Sat-Sun
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Obvs depends on budget but I know that there's [plenty of parking at the Premier Inn on Haverstock Hill Belsize park nw3
    - hardly boutique elegance in Kensington but perfectly good enough and easy to travel from
    Tube right opposite and only 15 mins to anywhere central
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 388
    Brill - thanks for these tips!
    jon
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    edited October 2023
    Or drive to somewhere outside London, leave the car in the car park there, and have a much better choice of hotel in the centre?

Coming from the NW, maybe Milton Keynes?

Last time we did a London trip, I used a park-on-my-driveway app to find a space (on someone's driveway!), close to a station with regular/cheap trains into the centre.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    TTony said:
    Or drive to somewhere outside London, leave the car in the car park there, and have a much better choice of hotel in the centre?

Last time we did a London trip, I used a park-on-my-driveway app to find a space (on someone's driveway!), close to a station with regular/cheap trains into the centre.  
    I didn't know this existed but now that I do it'd be my plan A. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I wouldn’t bother paying for a driveway, there’s plenty of places you can just park on the street if coming for the weekend. For example, a few minutes walk from Highgate station the Controlled Parking Zone only operates from 12pm to 2pm Monday to Friday. Just check the council website for a map of their zones, here’s Haringey

https://www.haringey.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-travel/parking/controlled-parking-zones-cpzs/map-controlled-parking-zones-cpzs-haringey

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    I’ve always used the Premier Inn in Harrow.  Easy access by car, parking and short walk to Kenton on the Bakerloo line or Northwick Park on the Met line.
    No congestion charge but you will get stung for the Ulez bullshit if your car isn’t compliant.  
  • There's also the ULEZ which applies 24/7, £12.50 per day. I'd go with parking somewhere outside of that and taking the train in. Maybe even the tube. As @TTony said you'll get a full choice of hotels and locations that way.
    If your car isn’t compliant you’ll spend more than the £25 charge for 2 days on messing about with trains from somewhere outside the M25
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    There's also the ULEZ which applies 24/7, £12.50 per day. I'd go with parking somewhere outside of that and taking the train in. Maybe even the tube. As @TTony said you'll get a full choice of hotels and locations that way.

The ULEZ only applies if you are driving a diesel over 8 years old, or a petrol over 18 years old (or thereabouts), so it won't affect the vast majority of cars. The odds are that the OP's car won't be affected.

Whether the ULEZ is a good idea is debatable, but we can talk about that in Politics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    elstoof said:
    I wouldn’t bother paying for a driveway, there’s plenty of places you can just park on the street if coming for the weekend. For example, a few minutes walk from Highgate station the Controlled Parking Zone only operates from 12pm to 2pm Monday to Friday. Just check the council website for a map of their zones, here’s Haringey

https://www.haringey.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-travel/parking/controlled-parking-zones-cpzs/map-controlled-parking-zones-cpzs-haringey

MATCH DAYS
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    edited October 2023
    No match day restrictions unless you you’re trying to park near a football stadium for some reason. 

Anywhere here is no more than 5 minutes from the tube:

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    TTony said:

Milton Keynes ??????
    Train from Potters Bar ,herts (where there is a huge car park ) takes 17 minutes to Kings Cross ....every 3rd train is a fast express .