Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). U2 at the Sphere. Future of live shows? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

U2 at the Sphere. Future of live shows?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
    Streets.....sounds like poor Bono has been possessed by the voice of Jon Bon Jovi.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    The advertising on the outside of the sphere is the money maker: $650,000 a week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BorkBork Frets: 231
    I think it's just  a gimmick and will probably go the same way as 3D movies.

[This space for rent]

• dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    This sounds a bit better than the other clips to be fair, but the huge screen is less important.

https://youtu.be/NmuGrNWUebg?si=1p1gR_64315V51Tp

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    Listening to a few interviews, it seems that they took the chance to be the first group to play at this new sphere but they are planning to do a normal tour after a set number of shows.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    And just to add, Achtung Baby is BY FAR their best album and era. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    Full gig (multicam).

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Things have come a long way since my feet used to stick to the floor at The Marquee in Wardour street.

Purely my opinion but a place like this is akin to the new modern stadiums in England.... Tottenham, West Ham, Arsenal..... incredible structures and impressive architecture but terrible places to watch football and to actually feel like you're part of the game is nigh on impossible.

I suppose I'd like to experience it once - just to see what it's all about but I'm not sure that I feel strongly enough about any band who would actually be big enough to play somewhere like The Sphere?
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    looks like a computer game

• RobDavies said:
    Things have come a long way since my feet used to stick to the floor at The Marquee in Wardour street.

Purely my opinion but a place like this is akin to the new modern stadiums in England.... Tottenham, West Ham, Arsenal..... incredible structures and impressive architecture but terrible places to watch football and to actually feel like you're part of the game is nigh on impossible.

I suppose I'd like to experience it once - just to see what it's all about but I'm not sure that I feel strongly enough about any band who would actually be big enough to play somewhere like The Sphere?
    Same here, can't think of many. Radiohead for me maybe. Their visuals have always been good so it would work. Just not sure about the actual band! Thom would probably have a wobbly.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    RobDavies said:

Yeah, but have they improved?  I think not.  Most of the best gigs I ever saw were in there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    The future will be virtual reality. 
    I think I'd prefer virtual reality gig over a cgi assault on the senses that this seems to be. 

I'm not a fan of stadiums and giant screens. I'd still rather go and see a great band in a smaller venue where I can see the actual band not a TV screen and with the volume up so that the bass drum thumps me in the guts and the snare drum takes my head off.  
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Philly_Q said:
    RobDavies said:

Yeah, but have they improved?  I think not.  Most of the best gigs I ever saw were in there.
    I agree wholeheartedly.  Maybe not The Marquee itself, but certainly venues like it.   Just this week I’ve seen some cracking shows at The Arch in Brighton and The Joiners in Southampton. 
  • I've just listened to a press conference by UFC head honcho Dana White - who said he'd been blown away by the U2 Sphere show and that he'd approached the venue to host a high profile fight card. 

I am not sure how much weight should be attached to Mr White's opinion on matters musical - but he does have some experience of putting on big events in the worlds premiere venues - he certainly seemed very impressed by the possibilities of the Sphere and was very excited about the prospect of putting on a UFC card there. 

Maybe it's not even relevant. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter