Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New build done, kind of a millimetric / old USSR / st. vincent inspired thing. - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New build done, kind of a millimetric / old USSR / st. vincent inspired thing.

markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
edited October 2023 in Making & Modding
Again I just made the body - the neck came from @DrBob ;;

This is the first one I didn't pretty much just copy an existing shape - tried to mash a few things together, I'm pretty please with it. It's nothing radial shape wise, but it was fun to try and build.

Again i wanted to make something that if I wanted it natural I could - basically so I couldn't hide my mistakes with paint

Ash body, which was new to me, bit trickery to shape than the elm I used last time. I want to try an arm carve and to my amazement it went OK!

I would like it to have a more blocky headstock, a slotted headstock would be cool... but my ability means it can't be so.

Pickup are from the parts bin - they look OK - but they don't sound great -  they need to go - maybe zebras or aged nickel ? I'll keep an eye on the parts FS section

Anyhow over all it plays well, sounds OK, and here's some pics...

Cheers

Mark
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Another nice looking body Mark.  Why do you think you couldn't do a neck?  You seem to have plenty of skill and your bodies always look great.  I reckon you could if you take it slow and break it down to its parts.  My first go is by no means perfect, but I think it is ok (to be fair that remains to be seen when it's strung up! :lol: )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    I like that body, particularly the chamfer, and the Ash looks good. You’re right, it would benefit from a blocky headstock. Time to practice making a neck.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    @SteveF Cheers. I just don't think I have the skill to make a neck - or the tools, I kind of use the basic tools to make the bodies, so I would have to invest and that all adds up for something that I might not use very ofter. Maybe one day...

Cheers @Roland ;
  • Nice work. I really like the shape. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    That's super cool, nice with the natural finish. It's such a striking design that I reckon it would also look amazing with a big, bold, bright paint job!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.