Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Best practise amp for bass and guitar - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Best practise amp for bass and guitar

daviesjdaviesj Frets: 26
My daughter dropped her Yamaha thr10ii and it’s not survived the fall. I am toying between another Yamaha or one of the below. Anyone got experience of how they perform against each other. 

Use case -

1) able to play guitar and bass
2) home practise 
3) prefer Bluetooth so she can use it for streaming whilst playing but also use it for music playback from her record player/ iTunes etc
4) she plays a broad cross section of music but mostly metal

so my research leads me to the following that fit the criteria. 

1) another THR. Cracking amp but maybe not
so good on the heavy stuff. Is the 30 better
2) spark 40 - from reading they can be overly bassy. Can this be dialled out?
3) blackstar id core beam. - seems a bit long I the tooth now. Newer/ better options?
4) boss katana air. The air EX looks good but I don’t want to spend that much. Got my own things to buy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I bought boss waza headphones that miss munckee has taken to uni with her electric and bass.  I have a THR10 but she is happy with the headphones, to start with at least!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    I'm happy enough with the THR30 high gain sounds for practice, I love mine!
    Tim
  • daviesjdaviesj Frets: 26
    @timmypix i wonder if the slightly bigger speakers in the thr30 help
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 248
    I’ve got a Boss Katana Air which I bought after a lot of research. It works well playing along to backing tracks, which I use a lead for only because my MP3 player hasn’t got Bluetooth. The wireless transmitter works successfully with my ESP, which has active pickups.

I’m not sure if it’s capable of handling a bass guitar, but it has got an acoustic setting.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited October 2023
    I’ve got a few but this has become my favourite since it was released.

BOSS KATANA 110B 1X10" 60W BASS AMP COMBO

All in one bass combo perfect for practice, recording and gigging!

It has an inbuilt attenuator so it can be used Loud or at bedroom practice volume.
    plus it’s loaded with lots of effects and other goodies.
    http://https//youtu.be/p5-ynAKFVm0?feature=shared

It works as a pretty good guitar amp as well.

• TrudeTrude Frets: 889
    This thing has guitar and bass modes, Bluetooth audio and all the sounds you could need:

https://www.nuxefx.com/mighty-air.html
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited October 2023
    Trude said:
    This thing has guitar and bass modes, Bluetooth audio and all the sounds you could need:

I disagree with you man.
    As a Bass amp it’s rubbish.
    The speakers are too small and don’t push enough air for a Bass guitarist even at low volume.
    A bass VOX Pathfinder does a better job as a small bass practice amp but still not as good as the Katana with all its extras.

• HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 25
    Remember the NUX Mighty Air can also be used as an amp head.  It's the only desktop amp with a speaker out at the back, and from what I've heard, it sounds very good indeed through a cab.
    Trude said:

I disagree with you man.
    As a Bass amp it’s rubbish.
    The speakers are too small and don’t push enough air for a Bass guitarist even at low volume.
    A bass VOX Pathfinder does a better job as a small bass practice amp but still not as good as the Katana with all its extras.
    I didn't say it was a better bass amp than the Katana.  I only said it has a bass mode, which it does.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with?

Trading feedback here
    HT986M2 said:
    Remember the NUX Mighty Air can also be used as an amp head.  It's the only desktop amp with a speaker out at the back, and from what I've heard, it sounds very good indeed through a cab.
    Mine doesn't have this.  Could you be thinking of a different model?

Trading feedback here
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited October 2023
    I haven't tried anything else in a long time but I'm a big fan of the THR series for flexible practice. 

FWIW I usually use an HX Stomp or Origin Bassrig with mine, but that's just because I have them - I'd relatively happily use them without if needed
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    This thread is great. It's been a long time since I looked at smaller do-it-all amps.

My bedroom practice rig is a 15 year old Roland Bass Cube 30W for bass and then I plug an equally old L6 POD XT into the AUX in for guitar use.