Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Line 6 Pod Go power supply - 2.5-3A is a myth! - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Line 6 Pod Go power supply - 2.5-3A is a myth!

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
edited October 2023 in Digital & Modelling
A theme that regularly crops up is the poor PSU with its horrid wallwart, and short, thin cable. Pod Go is alleged to require 2.5A-3A power requirement and that's caused a problem when trying to buy something more robust.  But that power draw has never tallied with other units eg the Boss GX100 is more powerful than Pod Go yet only requires 1.2A!

Anyway, just seen a post on one of the facebook pages:

"So I popped in to PMT in Bristol. They have an independent electronics guru in there who works out of the back of the store. He confirmed that the Pod Go doesn't need more than 1 amp, and that Line 6 push for 2.5-3a for their own benefit (consistency across their power units). I also wanted a 2-piece power unit with the transformer inline rather than in the plug (too many challenges trying to plug into a 4-way power reel). The tech guy made me up a power pack with the current plug and polarity, and an inline transformer for less than £20."
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    That's interesting to know, and I'm not surprised. I'm happy enough with the supplied power supply but could do with a spare, I was thinking one of these?

https://myvolts.co.uk/product/51037/UK_9V_Power_Adaptor_for_the_Line-6_Pod-GO_Effects-pedal_by_myVolts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I power my Stomp with a usb powerbank and the appropriate cable from myvolts, works fine and last a good four-five hours. No reason why the Go would be any different. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @guitarcookie1 which powerbank did you get? I suppose if you get the usb cable from my volts it doesn't really matter? If the stomp draws an amp, a 3000ma battery should last 3 hours?
  • The HX Stomp uses about 1.1A on boot, and 0.8-0.9A while running (also as noted with a USB C power bank). There's absolutely no reason that the Go would use more than that.

@guitarcookie1 which powerbank did you get? I suppose if you get the usb cable from my volts it doesn't really matter? If the stomp draws an amp, a 3000ma battery should last 3 hours?
    Power banks are usually rated at 5V, but the Line 6 stuff uses 9V....so a bit more than half the capacity given in the specs.

I use this one for my pedalboard:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09B9DCT3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    <space for hire>
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I've had mine on a 1.5A adapter ... the original broke after only a few gigs ... cable fractured by the ferrite ring like any idiot could see it would. 

Sometimes manufacturers deliberately over spec the supply because the power in isn't the power supply for the whole unit. Digital modellers are much like a laptop board.  Internally there tends to be a load more power supplies that are basic buck convertors and lower the 12V to a more logic friendly 5 or lower voltage and then maybe 20V or a  higher voltage if the screen is LED backlit and possibly a dual voltage supply for the initial pre amp and AD and then then the output DA driver

This can lead to quite large inrush currents due to the many caps so in some cases it's safer just to insist it needs a larger supply than it does. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • @guitarcookie1 which powerbank did you get? I suppose if you get the usb cable from my volts it doesn't really matter? If the stomp draws an amp, a 3000ma battery should last 3 hours?
    One of these - https://www.belkin.com/uk/power-bank-20k/P-BPB012.html

Actually two of those, picked them up cheap when Tesco discounted them. 

And the appropriate one of these - https://myvolts.co.uk/Ripcord