Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Buzzing/rattling sound - tuning pegs? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Buzzing/rattling sound - tuning pegs?

What's Hot
So, i very recently picked up a second hand but relatively new paranormal cyclone which i really like.
Its been restrung with ernie ball super slinky 9’s and the trem is floating not locked down but i’ve noticed over the last couple of days of playing it that it seems to have an annoying rattle or buzz predominantly when striking the g,b and high e strings.
It doesnt seem like fret buzz and is pretty loud unplugged.
Its present on open strings louder but faintly when fretting so i thought the nut/string tree break angle mite be the issue, but lowering the string tree with a smaller collar has made no difference.
One thing i have noticed though is that the buzz or rattle sometimes stops if i put my hand across the buttons on the tuning pegs and strum or if i tilt and play the guitar on an odd angle
They look like vintage style tuning pegs but i’m guessing pretty cheap,
I cant find anything else loose under the pickguard etc causing it so i am thinking its caused by these tuning pegs?
Is it likely cheap tuners - i’ve never had a guitar with noisy tuning pegs  before.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited October 2023
    Given what you have said about the noise stopping when you touch the tuners that would seem to be the most likely culprit, but one thing you need to be aware of is that the breakover from the front of the nut is just as important as the angle behind the nut.  Where the slot forms a take-off point for the string, that needs to be really clean, and a common source of strange string buzzing (more sitar-like) is when the slot is cut to a convex curve and the slot at the front of the nut is slightly lower than where the string is taking off from the apex of the curve behind that.  The string needs to come up at an angle to the front edge of the nut in the slot and take off cleanly from that cliff edge point.  i.e. a real sharp cliff edge rather than one with crumbling rounded over edges.  Sometimes you can diagnose this by pressing the string at the front edge of the nut with something like a screwdriver or even the edge of a thick pick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks BillDL, i’ll have a closer look at the nut,
    just had a play on it now and i have a strong suspicion on these tuning pegs - the open B string was giving off a rattling but holding that peg down practically silenced it, very odd.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Try placing some damping material under the strings, between the nut and the tuners. If the buzz/rattle is no longer audible, you have confirmed the source of the problem.

There is a hierarchy of Kluson Safety replicas. Jin-Ho (AKA Chin-Ho) is near the bottom. Ping Well is in the middle. Gotoh and Schaller are the tops.

The Kluson name has been revived. Quality is roughly on the Ping Well level. Locking replica Klusons might help by eliminating string guides.
    Be seeing you.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Maybe you've already checked, but I had a similar buzz which was caused by one not-quite-tight tuner nut/washer (on a Fender Player Plus Tele).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Try placing some damping material under the strings, between the nut and the tuners. If the buzz/rattle is no longer audible, you have confirmed the source of the problem.

There is a hierarchy of Kluson Safety replicas. Jin-Ho (AKA Chin-Ho) is near the bottom. Ping Well is in the middle. Gotoh and Schaller are the tops.

The Kluson name has been revived. Quality is roughly on the Ping Well level. Locking replica Klusons might help by eliminating string guides.
    Placed a cloth under the strings behind the nut and it still rattles.
    The more i play it now, the more irritated i’m getting - 
    its definately coming from the headstock area and stops when i hold a couple of the tuning pegs
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Put a strip of tape along the machineheads keys. If that stops it when you're still playing normally that's pretty conclusive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    Put a strip of tape along the machineheads keys. If that stops it when you're still playing normally that's pretty conclusive.
    Its definately a couple of the tuning pegs.
    Never experienced this before on a guitar tbh.
    Also, was looking at an online review of a paranormal squier jazzmaster 12 string, suffering from the same issue - noisy buttons on the tuners.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited October 2023
    I'm not sure how the buttons alone can rattle or buzz. They are hammered onto the ends of the key shafts.

It is possible for there to be free play within the gear housing of replica Klusons. One way to minimise this would be to inject some grease through the holes in the casings of the offending tuners. (This is what the hole is for.) 

If the 'heads are cheap, it is possible that the string posts fit loosely in the bushings.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I'm not sure how the buttons alone can rattle or buzz. They are hammered onto the ends of the key shafts.
    Sometimes they don’t fit tightly. It’s not that uncommon with cheap ones.

You could try running some superglue into the gaps, but it may be better just to upgrade the tuners to decent ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Could it be that the holes in the headstock are very slightly too big? 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    Some Wilkinson tuners (Vintage guitars) seem prone to buzzy tuner keys/shafts, and lately had a Fender Tele MiM with a single tuner key/post that buzzed on an open G string. Attempts to pack with grease didn't stop it.
    This is key and post wobbly together, not just the key itself.
  • So, i bought a new set of locking vintage style tuners off Amazon, fitted them today and the noise has gone completely.
    I think i will upgrade all the hardware on it now as a result, saddles next.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter