Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Yamaha CPX-15 CM - does anyone know about these guitars? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Yamaha CPX-15 CM - does anyone know about these guitars?

What's Hot
I wonder if anyone can help me. 

I picked one of these up for not very much at all in 2018 from someone who had bought it at a police proceeds of crime auction. 

Seemingly, they are quite rare.. 

they made 4 versions which relate to the four compass points which are different colours as well as a spruce topped one in the late 90s. Stuff I’ve seen online describes them as handmade in japan and “custom shop” 

they seem to have spawned a whole series of similar, lower quality compass models, with confusing numbering that goes up as high as cpx 500 and as low as cpx 5. But cpx 15 seems to be the highest quality from what I can see..

the one I have is a cedar and mahogany version. It has a pick-up and an internal microphone… 

does anyone have any more information or experience with these instruments. 

It plays really nicely and sounds lovely unplugged but seems to come alive when amplified…

if it would help, or if anyone is interested, I’d be happy to take some pics 

Thanks to anyone who feels able to help
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 2871
    edited October 2023
    I have the CPX-10, which I bought new in 1999 from a small guitar shop in Inverness. I think mine is spruce and cedar. Mine doesn’t have the microphone, just the piezo.

It’s a nice instrument but I’m really not much of an acoustic player so it has spent the majority of its life in its hard case. I’ve occasionally thought about selling it but f I did I probably wouldn’t be able to replace it if I found I needed to. 

From what I remember the first series of CPX guitars were the CPX-5, CPX-8, CPX-10 & the CPX-15.  I think there was a follow up series which had numbers like CPX-500, CPX-600 etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • As far as I'm aware they're acoustics, though don't quote me on that though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have the CPX-10, which I bought new in 1999 from a small guitar shop in Inverness. I think mine is spruce and cedar. Mine doesn’t have the microphone, just the piezo.

It’s a nice instrument but I’m really not much of an acoustic player so it has spent the majority of its life in its hard case. I’ve occasionally thought about selling it but f I did I probably wouldn’t be able to replace it if I found I needed to. 

From what I remember the first series of CPX guitars were the CPX-5, CPX-8, CPX-10 & the CPX-15.  I think there was a follow up series which had numbers like CPX-500, CPX-600 etc.

Thanks man.. I’ve had it out (and plugged in) today.. sounds really nice and the neck is lovely… it’s weird to think that there was a time before all the information about everything was just on the internet 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter