Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Strictly Come Dancing (2023) - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Strictly Come Dancing (2023)

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 885
edited September 2023 in Off Topic
Good to see the band tonight play Thunderstuck by AC/DC, it looks like Dave Arch is playing a HH Fender Stratocaster.

Anyone else watching?

The Strictly Come Dancing 2023 celebrities were confirmed in a series of announcements in August 2023 and they are:

• Adam Thomas - an actor and TV presenter who can "sort of do the robot"
  • Amanda Abbington - an award winning stage and screen actor who can't wait to embarrass her children 
  • Angela Rippon - an award-winning journalist, TV presenter, newsreader, and author who's proving anything's possible in your 70s
  • Angela Scanlon -a TV presenter who's ready to engross herself in sequins and glitter
  • Annabel Croft - a former British Number One tennis player who's hoping to "find the joyfulness" on her Strictly journey
  • Bobby Brazier - a model and actor who's "always dancing" and can't wait to team up with a pro
  • Eddie Kadi - a comedian who's been "oiling the hips" and "dropping a little salsa... just to see"
  • Ellie Leach - an actor who's been testing the fake tan "just to see if it suits me"
  • Jody Cundy - a World and Paralympic champion who's "all in" and ready for the full Strictly experience
  • Krishnan Guru Murthy - a journalist and broadcaster who's ready to place his trust in Strictly and get into character
  • Layton Williams - a film and theatre actor who was "born to be Strictly-fied"
  • Les Dennis - a TV personality, actor and entertainer whose signature move is "dad dancing"
  • Nigel Harman - a TV, film and theatre actor and director who's thinking "what have I done?"
  • Nikita Kanda - a radio host and TV presenter who's "a bit of a raver"
  • Zara McDermott - a broadcaster and content creator who's taking a "leap of faith" and pushing herself out of her comfort zone
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 885

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    edited September 2023
    More on than watched. I realise that I miss when they had completely hopeless contestants. 
    I heard Thunderstruck, they’ve done AC/DC before although I’m struggling to remember which track. 

Edit: Les Dennis helping me out there. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    At least it keeps Mrs rog quiet!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    My wife and daughters are watching it.  I'm hiding in the other room to avoid it, which is why I'm on my computer on a forum.  I am about to turn on my Kemper and pick up a guitar though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    It's a show that I like, or rather I like that it exists, but I never watch it. I did post a thread about it a week or two asking if anyone knew more of the celebs than me. I knew 3 I think.

I've caught odd bits occasionally, I love to see great dancing,I just can't be bothered with long shows and long series like this. I occasionally catch the eventual winners best dance on YouTube, they are usually quite amazing.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I don't consciously avoid Strictly, I just never seem to have the TV on at that time and it's not something I'm ever going to watch on catch-up (...unlike Michael McIntyre's The Wheel, I think I've already missed a couple of new episodes).
  • I love it!  It's the only reality TV I would ever watch.  In my dreams I see me in a white tie and tails dancing a foxtrot with Nadiya Bychkova to a classic big band number.
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 595
    The Strictly band is fantastic. I read somewhere that they don’t get much rehearsal time - they’re basically sight-reading a lot of it.

Adam Goldsmith, the guitarist in the Strictly band, wrote a monthly column in Guitarist for years.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    edited September 2023
    We watch it every week. I can't dance for shit and I love watching the progress of some of the competitors.
    My g/f is in love with Giovanni Pernice so I bought VIP tickets to his show when he was touring last year so that she could meet him before the show.
    Later in the show he wanted an audience member to come up and dance with him and made a beeline for me. So yeah, I did a routine live on stage with Giovanni and it was amazing. And I squeezed his arse!
    I got a 10 from the missus 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    I don't consciously avoid Strictly, I just never seem to have the TV on at that time and it's not something I'm ever going to watch on catch-up (...unlike Michael McIntyre's The Wheel, I think I've already missed a couple of new episodes).
    The Wheel is slowly growing on me. I’m not sure that’s a good thing. I did once get to say hello to Ellie Simmonds so tonight’s episode was like watching a close friend…

RichAC said:
    The Strictly band is fantastic. I read somewhere that they don’t get much rehearsal time - they’re basically sight-reading a lot of it.

Adam Goldsmith, the guitarist in the Strictly band, wrote a monthly column in Guitarist for years.
    I have a vague memory that they have one live rehearsal with the dancers. They are 90 second versions so even if it was a song they already knew they would have to learn/read the new version. Most of the versions of Strictly around the world just use recorded music although I think the USA one (Dancing with the Stars) has a band. 
    RichAC said:

I have a vague memory that they have one live rehearsal with the dancers. They are 90 second versions so even if it was a song they already knew they would have to learn/read the new version. Most of the versions of Strictly around the world just use recorded music although I think the USA one (Dancing with the Stars) has a band. 
    Surprised that cheapskate Britain has a live band!  Most uncharacteristic.

(And meeting Ellie Simmonds is cool.  I feel like she's an honorary FretBoard member now.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 595
    I’ve noticed that Dave Arch is generally waving a baton around… but whenever there’s a rock song on he always picks up a guitar and gives himself the big riff. Fair play, I would too.  :)

Philly_Q said:
    RichAC said:

Surprised that cheapskate Britain has a live band!  Most uncharacteristic.

Quite a while ago I watched something about Strictly around the world (Google says licenced to 75 countries)and it looks pretty low budget in some places. 

Philly_Q said:

(And meeting Ellie Simmonds is cool.  I feel like she's an honorary FretBoard member now.)

There was a question about Eric Moussambani on The Wheel. Reading his Wikipedia page will definitely be a spoiler but for anyone who has seen it already or isn’t bothered I thought it was an interesting story (it’s in the first paragraph):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Moussambani
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    My wife watches it avidly every year. And every year I start off with the “meh, what a load of bollocks” attitude and then eventually get hooked in. I only know a few contestants this year, but I can see a couple of them who are already head and shoulders above the rest. I think Layton Williams might even win, based on what he’s done so far, even though his OTT reactions and super-campness really grate on me. (Before anyone says anything I’m not anti-gay, I detest gushy, OTT showbiz-dahling characters of all persuasions.) I presume Les Dennis will stay in for quite a while purely for the comedy value, just like Tony Adams, Anne Widdicombe et al. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Good to see they have toned back somewhat on the self-congratulatory overkill of last year, when the constant praise of Strictly grated badly.
    It' a good show but a terrible terrible show title. I know it's supposed to be riffing off of the film Strictly ballroom, but that made sense, whereas Strictly come dancing does not. It's a pretty obscure film to reference as well. Fail.
    boogieman said:
    My wife watches it avidly every year. And every year I start off with the “meh, what a load of bollocks” attitude and then eventually get hooked in. I only know a few contestants this year, but I can see a couple of them who are already head and shoulders above the rest. I think Layton Williams might even win, based on what he’s done so far, even though his OTT reactions and super-campness really grate on me. (Before anyone says anything I’m not anti-gay, I detest gushy, OTT showbiz-dahling characters of all persuasions.) I presume Les Dennis will stay in for quite a while purely for the comedy value, just like Tony Adams, Anne Widdicombe et al. 
    I just went and watched a clip of Layton Williams, and thought wow, he's good! But then I looked him up and he's basically a pro dancer???? Eh???
    axisus said:
    It' a good show but a terrible terrible show title. I know it's supposed to be riffing off of the film Strictly ballroom, but that made sense, whereas Strictly come dancing does not. It's a pretty obscure film to reference as well. Fail.
    The reference was probably much less obscure when the programme started 20 years ago.  Both Come Dancing and Strictly Ballroom have been largely forgotten since then, but the title's outgrown its origins and become part of the language.  It is odd when you think about it, but less boring and obvious than Dancing with the Stars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:
    The reference was probably much less obscure when the programme started 20 years ago.  Both Come Dancing and Strictly Ballroom have been largely forgotten since then, but the title's outgrown its origins and become part of the language.  It is odd when you think about it, but less boring and obvious than Dancing with the Stars.
    It started in a fairly small way as a charity event. The pro dancers were still doing competitions, the celebs still doing their day jobs (some still do). I don't think anyone was imagining it going for two decades and spreading to 75 countries. 
    axisus said:
    boogieman said:
    I just went and watched a clip of Layton Williams, and thought wow, he's good! But then I looked him up and he's basically a pro dancer???? Eh???
    Yes does seem a bit unfair when he already has a grounding in dance and theatre. I guess they’d argue he has no formal experience in ballroom dancing, which is a different thing? I dunno. Several contestants in the past had theatre school backgrounds but didn’t go on to win. Then there’s Bill Bailey of course who’d never danced in his life. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Strictly, GBBO, GBSB and Masterchef are favourites in this household. 

I like Strictly as I learned the dances around 60 years ago and I can spot the mistakes a mile off.  Also, the pro dancers are great to watch - the women I mean - as they urge the poor celebs on.

And if you are a legs kind of a bloke, it is compulsory viewing.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    Aaargh! Its still on.
  • Why are there professional dancers? I don't mean on this show, I mean in the world. Specifically, professional ballroom (?) dancers. I don't understand where the revenue comes from.

Anyway, this thread encouraged me to watch so I could hear the band. They're good. Didn't like their Killers rendition but the talent is clear.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    It started in a fairly small way as a charity event. The pro dancers were still doing competitions, the celebs still doing their day jobs (some still do). 
    I believe that this is how Blackpool Week came about.  There was a pro competition taking place in Blackpool part way through the series and the professional dancers would only take part in Strictly if they could compete in said event.
  • Love the show as someone who used to do ballroom dancing when I was younger. (A mate of mine reckons we used to compete against Anton back when he was simply Tony Beck). 
    Could happily do without all the fluff and concentrate on the dancing but I get they need to make a full show out of it.
    The band is fantastic and although some of their renditions aren’t up with the originals it’s also good to enhance the spectacle.
    I also like watching the progress of the celebs as they improve week on week, or not as is sometimes the case.
    I try not to be overly critical, but it does wind me up when the judges give them feedback about ‘little improvements’, then wheel out a 10.

Musicwolf said:
    It started in a fairly small way as a charity event. The pro dancers were still doing competitions, the celebs still doing their day jobs (some still do). 
    I believe that this is how Blackpool Week came about.  There was a pro competition taking place in Blackpool part way through the series and the professional dancers would only take part in Strictly if they could compete in said event.
    Yes I've heard that story. Good example of how nobody was really predicting what it would become. 

Love the show as someone who used to do ballroom dancing when I was younger. (A mate of mine reckons we used to compete against Anton back when he was simply Tony Beck). 
    Could happily do without all the fluff and concentrate on the dancing but I get they need to make a full show out of it.
    The band is fantastic and although some of their renditions aren’t up with the originals it’s also good to enhance the spectacle.
    I also like watching the progress of the celebs as they improve week on week, or not as is sometimes the case.
    I try not to be overly critical, but it does wind me up when the judges give them feedback about ‘little improvements’, then wheel out a 10.

I was watching an interview with Anton. He's very touchy about the name change thing. IIRC the name change happened at sixteen and wasn't intended as a stage name, more reinventing himself away from his working class immigrant family, especially his violent father. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I end up watching most of it as my Mrs watches it religiously. 

I think the band are great in general, but the singers are fucking awful. They absolutely muller a majority of tunes. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50 said:

I think the band are great in general, but the singers are fucking awful. They absolutely muller a majority of tunes. 
    Ah come on, there are only four singers to cover every song, style and genre throughout the series, I think they do bloody well under the circumstances. My missus and me used to see Tommy Blaize performing with the City Funk Orchestra in the days before he joined Strictly, he’s got a great voice, especially for soul and funk. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    boogieman said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Ah come on, there are only four singers to cover every song, style and genre throughout the series, I think they do bloody well under the circumstances. My missus and me used to see Tommy Blaize performing with the City Funk Orchestra in the days before he joined Strictly, he’s got a great voice, especially for soul and funk. 
    I just don't think they're very good. Even the songs that suit the style of the singers voices, aren't great.

Of course, YMMV, but they're really not my cup of tea.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to