Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How have your musical tastes changed as you've gotten older? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How have your musical tastes changed as you've gotten older?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited October 2023
    It’s hard to explain.

Learning about music has introduced a lot of new types to my day to day life — Apple Music definitely helps here too.  Learning about music and just growing up has also made me grow tired of some music that I used to like just because it was more like part of the background/soundtrack of my youth.  But the music I listened to was always fairly broad, even if that was dominated by basic 90s alternative and punk stuff.

I mainly like minimalist and textured music.  I have never liked widdlydiddly rock music.  The primary additions to my repertoire have been EDM, jazz, and impressionist stuff.  I don’t know if this is a change in tastes — probably is with some jazz — or if it’s just ease of access now thanks to technology.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Spotify has certainly enabled me to discover lots of new music I wouldn't have otherwise - which is one of the reasons I still use it, despite buying physical music (and Bandcamp versions) of artists that I love. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    I've definitely swung between genres from decade to decade. 

From 60'/70's rock and then pop and then thrash metal and then grunge and then nu metal and now I'm back to rock and blues and almost jazz.

I've definitely mellowed in my musical tastes now and I prefer to go to see blues/rock gigs rather than heavy metal. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    My tastes have become heavier and more progressive, but also slightly broader. I still listen to metal 90% of the time, and over the last few years have discovered bands who I assumed from names/old articles would be too extreme to be perfectly listenable, at least now.

But I've also taken to going back to blues albums I grew up listening to with my dad and then using those as gateways to older albums by tracing the steps of covers etc.

I only got into Thin Lizzy and AC/DC in the last few years, which I'm properly miffed at - how did I let them pass me by for so long?!
    Tim
  • Can´t  say "changed" that much. But, as what´s on the radio and in the charts gets worse and worse I´ve learned to appreciate music that I wasn´t really interested in back in the day.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    70s rock is still my heartland but I've always listened to lots of other stuff. Nowadays, I am open minded about all genres and just listen to Spotify or Deezer to be educated on what's out there.

I always listen to Uncle Bob's Country Hour and it's probably that genre that has surpassed my expectations the most. I used to hate C&W stuff but it don't mean the same any more and there is so much good stuff out there. My interest was further heightened by a Nashville visit in June this year ... amazing city :+1: 

My first gig was Lindisfarne at Carlisle Market Hall in 1977  ... I still listen to them and reflect on Alan Hull's talent (great documentary here if anyone hasn't seen it

but I continually feel enthused by the magnitude and range of good music available to everyone. If it makes you feel good or sad or romantic or even reflective then surely that's what it's all about.

I've stopped being blinkered and blurred about genres and their definitions ... I'm not fussy, I'll listen to/enjoy owt.

• mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 174
    90s it was guns n Roses and oasis 
    00s was all about industrial and nu-metal
    10s started branching out into hip hop, Lana del rey (still listening to rock and metal) 
    Now I find myself in a country band

its good to keep moving :-) 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    *Mostly* I've just broadened my horizons. There are a couple of bands I've kind of 'grown out of' but I don't believe in having "guilty pleasures" when it comes to music. I've never parted with a record I've ever bought (unless it was nicked... a couple of ex's etc) and that situation won't change.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Well my first proper fender strat back in the early 90s was a Japanese 62 reissue cos Mike McCready had one.

It's 2023 and I've finally bothered to learn the Even Flow riff. 

In between there have been dalliances but the mainstays - Blues, mid to late 60s blues rock and early 90s alt rock still form 90% of what I listened to until I discovered Earthless and other stoner bands with 30mins long wigged out blues rock wah solos and I felt I'd found my people. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    I have lost interest in lyrics. I will tolerate singing so long as I cannot understand the words.
  • I like the likes of Abba and Bee Gees now as I appreciate the musical talent that went into making the music they did. Especially when you hear the artists speak about the process. I think the Bee Gees are still underrated even now,given their output both as a group and as writers for other artists. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited October 2023
    I tend to move with the times and I listen to a wide range of genres, but I do mine interesting back catalogues for inspiration, and sometimes I find bands that I missed the first time around.

• I will add that I am also enjoying artists and bands I missed first time around such as Neil Young,for example. So I have so much older stuff I bypassed that I have no need to listen to newer stuff. Thank god!
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    edited October 2023
    I hated pop/rap/nu metal as a kid (late 90s early 00s), was mocked for liking country songs and older rock stuff, discovered 70s-80s metal as a teen and was a die hard thrash fan for many years. Then I was without a guitar for a few years in my early twenties, didn’t have a lot of time for going to gigs or even listening to music, and when I’ve come back to guitar I’ve mellowed and got into stuff like Richard Thompson (my dads influence), early Fleetwood Mac, Cream etc