Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Any Fretboarders in EU? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Any Fretboarders in EU?

What's Hot
melodmelod Frets: 134
So, took the big step and moving out of the UK. 

One of the first things I thought a “Right, at least I don’t have some awesome guitar toy being sold round the corner with theftetboard.. I am over this”

Well..not really. I so loved this group and the possibility of getting my hands on new gear or at least dreaming about maybe doing so.

However, with Brexit, really don’t want to deal with customs etc.

Are there any respectable members that operate in the EU ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Welcome to London - as it says your location is in your profile.

Which country in the EU have you moved to? What or who persuaded you to move there?

You will find me in Slovakia, not far south of Poland and next door to the war in Ukraine.

By forummers operating in the EU do you mean playing (my hand just went up) or dealers (quickly my hand went down)? I get most of my stuff from Thomann with free delivery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    I used to be a fretboarder living in the EU (until some pound-shop Trump persuaded 52% of the population that leaving would be in our best interests).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I am in the EU. There are plenty of guitars for sale in the EU, so it won't be any easier. Though if you spot something for sale in the UK, the extra fees might tempt you to not buy it. But it won't cure gas in that you can easily buy it online and get it sent to someone in the UK. Or Gibraltar! If you're near there!
  • Sadly, not any more. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited September 2023
    I've been in Barcelona for the last 3yrs. Completely different mkt, average people earn much less here than when I was in London so gear "fluidity" is not the same.
  • HAL9000 said:
    I used to be a fretboarder living in the EU (until some pound-shop Trump persuaded 52% of the population that leaving would be in our best interests).
    Jeez give it rest already. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000 said:
    Jeez give it rest already. 
    Don’t wanna derail the thread, but no, personally I will never, never give up being hacked off with the worst con committed to the UK population in living memory.

When politicians lie, you can vote them out four years later. With the referendum, the lies had permanent consequences.

Back on topic though, @melod - I would have thought any Gas symptoms would be helped by outlets in France, Germany and Holland ??
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stanstan Frets: 182
    Why do some miserable buggers always have to derail the thread ?  We never got a vote or referendum on joining the EU so why bother about a referendum to leave it ?  The con was that originally we were asked to vote on joining the `Common market` and not the EU.  a totally different animal . I personaly as a Brexiteer would be happy to be in a so called common market.  it looked to me that the common market idea kept all of the commercial benefits without the loss of sovereignty and all that entails.
    And yes, I moved to the Eu 6 months ago.  guitar buying wise, the benefrits seem to balance with the losses   I`ve got a PJE Macon for sale but get more interest in it in the UK than in the EU. the interesting development will be in whether the Euro falls apart more than the pound or vice versa ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stan said:
    Why do some miserable buggers always have to derail the thread ?  We never got a vote or referendum on joining the EU so why bother about a referendum to leave it ?  The con was that originally we were asked to vote on joining the `Common market` and not the EU.  a totally different animal . I personaly as a Brexiteer would be happy to be in a so called common market.  it looked to me that the common market idea kept all of the commercial benefits without the loss of sovereignty and all that entails.
    Well surely in a common market you need common standards decided by a central body which entails, by definition a certain loss of sovereignty...?

Ahh fuck it never mind - there were good reasons to dislike the EU, I'm just not sure that's one of them.

FWIW - why bother about a referendum to leave?  Couldn't agree more, putting the concept of untangling the UK from one of the world's most beneficial but complex and costly trading partnerships in a simple one question referendum to the masses purely to stop losing 30 MPs because of UKIP splitting your vote is one of the stupidist decisions made in British political history.  Like putting your bollocks in a combine harvester and then letting your labrador sniff for treats among the controls.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137
    I have an EU passport. Nice when you're going EU, things get a bit nasty when coming back  :)

There are tons of nice second hand gear where I come from. Some of it from local builders not widely available here in the UK. Not sure where you're heading but if you don't find there any Fretboarders, in Eastern Europe there's Allegro for eBay style auctions, OLX which is kinda gumtree thing and obviously FB marketplace. 

Prices all over the place, just like here recently, but in general a rule is to look at brand new prices at Thomann which operates from Germany and then price accordingly to condition. 

Watch out for scams, olx and marketplace in particular. Loads of folk asking for bank transfer or other irreversible form of payment and your stuff never shows up. Same as here again  ;)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited September 2023
    stan said:
    And yes, I moved to the Eu 6 months ago.  guitar buying wise, the benefrits seem to balance with the losses   I`ve got a PJE Macon for sale but get more interest in it in the UK than in the EU. the interesting development will be in whether the Euro falls apart more than the pound or vice versa ?
    We never lost sovereignty…if we had lost sovereignty then we wouldn’t have the right to leave.  

The fact that we left….and allowed to leave, is a vital point that sovereignty exists before Brexit.

My constitutional and EU Law is very rusty from law school but I do remember that.  

The claim that we didn’t have sovereignty is a lie, or uneducated or stupid…or all of the above since it isn’t true.

(no doubt the rebuttal is about EU legislations…then you forget that as a member, we get to vote in those legislations….)

The UK literally had the best deal, we were in it yet retained our currency and as one of the earlier members, had more powers than some other members.  We threw it all away because of what? We can do a more authentic Braveheart impression showing freedom?

sovereignty….? lol oh pleaseeee
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • melodmelod Frets: 134
    Whistler said:j
    Welcome to London - as it says your location is in your profile.

Which country in the EU have you moved to? What or who persuaded you to move there?

You will find me in Slovakia, not far south of Poland and next door to the war in Ukraine.

By forummers operating in the EU do you mean playing (my hand just went up) or dealers (quickly my hand went down)? I get most of my stuff from Thomann with free delivery.
    I am actually based in Greece now. And yes, Thomann sorts out all brand new acquisitions (as it partly did in the U.K.).

Secondhand market here is so weird. Less stock equals less bargains etc but sometimes it’s hard to understand it. Like 10% off from new for something clearly used etc.

Although, truth be told, it’s not just guitars. 

I think younger players do understand how things should work but maybe an older generation is stuck on the idea that things are hard to find new (in Greece) therefore even a used item should retain its value.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3674
    melod said:

Are there any respectable members?
    No.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter