Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What can replace poly capo and an OC-5 - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What can replace poly capo and an OC-5

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Looking at selling my HX Stomp XL.  One thing I use it for is a drop pedal for one song we have where I need to drop to B flat.  

I also have an OC-5 which is okay, I use for general octave duties.

what could replace both and do a good job - drop tuning and octave?

Was looking at the Pitchfork plus, but reviews are mixed.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Having tried both ehx and digitech’s offerings I’d say drop for downtuning and octave down. 

However I’d actually recommend ricochet as it sounds the same as the drop and gives you more options in the same footprint. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m thinking about this as well as we have a couple of songs to pitch lower that I’d love not to need a second guitar for. 

Digitech Ricochet was my instinct but I haven’t done any reading yet
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Just found out a mate is selling his Ricochet, so I'll have one by the end of today to give a full report! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Having tried both ehx and digitech’s offerings I’d say drop for downtuning and octave down. 

However I’d actually recommend ricochet as it sounds the same as the drop and gives you more options in the same footprint. 
    Thanks, good call.

Just found out a mate is selling his Ricochet, so I'll have one by the end of today to give a full report! 
    Excellent, yes please do.  

One thing I’m not sure of can it get all semitones down going to the -1 octave, or is it set intervals?
    The dial looks like it is set intervals, but I assume it has points in between those?

I need 2 full tones down, I’m playing a song in the D minor open position and need it to be in B flat.
    On poly capo it would be -4, or a major 3rd.

Excellent, yes please do.  

One thing I’m not sure of can it get all semitones down going to the -1 octave, or is it set intervals?
    The dial looks like it is set intervals, but I assume it has points in between those?

I need 2 full tones down, I’m playing a song in the D minor open position and need it to be in B flat.
    On poly capo it would be -4, or a major 3rd.
    Yeah, the every-semitone option is the one thing the Drop has that the Richocet doesn't. In my case I need something for -2 semitones, so I'm good for now but obv is you need a maj/minor 3rd or single semitone you're looking at the Drop. (At least I assume the -2nd here is a full tone)

But my understanding is that the algorithm, across the Drop, Ricochet and Whammy V is all exactly the same, the only different is the specific controls & UI for each pedal. I've had a Whammy for years and can 100% confirm already that it sounds great and tracks well. 

Thanks.  Drop should be fine then.

Only thing it doesn’t do is the higher octave for the organ thing, but I can always add a POG at a later date or keep the OC5.

My outside option was a Plethora X3.  I will need a tuner as well, so that could kill 3 birds with one stone and then some.
    But not sure selling the HX Stomp XL and getting an X3 is solving much!

This is part of the charm with the Helix stuff, especially the Stomp XL, it does so much it’s very hard to move away from.
    Ok, have now tried the Ricochet. Lo and behold, it sounds basically identical to the Whammy. There is a tiny hint of latency under your fingers, but it's not really audible and I'm certain noone listening would be able to tell. 

What's really weird is playing at home volumes - my guitar is playing in E but the amp is playing in D and that feels WEIRD if you can hear the strings,,,
    Ok, have now tried the Ricochet. Lo and behold, it sounds basically identical to the Whammy. There is a tiny hint of latency under your fingers, but it's not really audible and I'm certain noone listening would be able to tell. 

What's really weird is playing at home volumes - my guitar is playing in E but the amp is playing in D and that feels WEIRD if you can hear the strings,,,
    I noticed that with the poly capo, even relatively loud at home still creates a dissonant mess, but live and rehearsal is fine.

Yep, it's just the nature of the beast. Should be no issue at gig volume, and I'm sure I wouldn't notice the latency with stage adrenaline either :)