Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 72 Telecaster Custom replacement pickups - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

72 Telecaster Custom replacement pickups

What's Hot
The Tele Deluxe thread has got me thinking, and I didn't want to derail that thread! My Squier Tele Custom is amazing value for money, but compared to all my other pickups they lack that handwired sparkle for me.

So I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good replacement set that won't cost loads. Doesn't have to be Cunife happy with a wide range copy. Not even sure what bridge pickup to go with either but happy to be schooled!

Thanks!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    The main issue we found when making Wide Range style pickups was the cost of the covers and baseplates ... we stopped doing our Buccaneer WRs (other than to special order) ... because the price of nickel meant there was bugger all profit in making them! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The main issue we found when making Wide Range style pickups was the cost of the covers and baseplates ... we stopped doing our Buccaneer WRs (other than to special order) ... because the price of nickel meant there was bugger all profit in making them! 
    Dare I ask the price of a special order?!

• I think The Creamery offer rewinding of your stock Fender not-WRHBs, so it re-uses the cover (and presumably the baseplate), which I would guess brings the cost down a bit.
    tFB Trader
    Boromedic said:
    The main issue we found when making Wide Range style pickups was the cost of the covers and baseplates ... we stopped doing our Buccaneer WRs (other than to special order) ... because the price of nickel meant there was bugger all profit in making them! 
    Around £100 each ... you are really better off to go with Jamie at the Creamery for his stock rewinds
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

• Check out Cats whisker pickups, Alan’s your man for good pickups that don’t break the bank.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Boromedic said:
    Around £100 each ... you are really better off to go with Jamie at the Creamery for his stock rewinds
    To be fair mate that's £60 cheaper than Creamery and I've had issues with them before so I'd sooner spend with someone else tbh.

tFB Trader
    Boromedic said:
    Boromedic said:
    To be fair mate that's £60 cheaper than Creamery and I've had issues with them before so I'd sooner spend with someone else tbh.
    PM me and I'll give you the specs 
    Ash 

• Check out Cats whisker pickups, Alan’s your man for good pickups that don’t break the bank.
    Thanks, I'll have a look, although his website isn't the best!

• t1000t1000 Frets: 84
    Check out Cats whisker pickups, Alan’s your man for good pickups that don’t break the bank.
    I have a custom partcaster with Alan's pickups. A wide range in the neck as well was around £150 for the set from memory and they sound awesome.
  • Boromedic said:
    Check out Cats whisker pickups, Alan’s your man for good pickups that don’t break the bank.
    It isn’t, but he has always been quick to communicate when I’ve had questions and usually has orders out within the week. I’ve been very impressed with his service.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Boromedic said:
    He occasionally has a set on Ebay for a little less as well. Mine are great- though admittedly I haven't compared them to any other Wide Range-style pickups (apart from the originals in my AVRI which were basically just standard humbuckers I think).
  • Is the bridge pickup a thin, single coil? I've got an old stock bridge pickup from an early-2000s reissue Fender '72 Custom floating around. You can have it for nothing if you want to try it while you're messing around replacing the neck pup? I never thought it was particularly special, but it may be a slight improvement on the stock one in the Squire? 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    t1000 said:
    I have a custom partcaster with Alan's pickups. A wide range in the neck as well was around £150 for the set from memory and they sound awesome.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have a closer look :)

Is the bridge pickup a thin, single coil? I've got an old stock bridge pickup from an early-2000s reissue Fender '72 Custom floating around. You can have it for nothing if you want to try it while you're messing around replacing the neck pup? I never thought it was particularly special, but it may be a slight improvement on the stock one in the Squire? 
    Thank you so much, that's so very kind of you, I'll PM you.

• liamonliamon Frets: 102
    Love my catswhisker WRHB set. Got from eBay, never looked back. Mine are coil tapped. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    liamon said:
    Love my catswhisker WRHB set. Got from eBay, never looked back. Mine are coil tapped. 
    Ditto, basically. I got mine just before Cunife became more easily available, but considering how good they sound, and how expensive the Cunife ones tend to be, I'm not that worried.
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 453
    I’ve not paid much attention to the Cunife pickups since they’ve been released/reissued, but surely the Wide Range humbucker’s sound is defined by both the magnets and the overall larger surface area? Hence why most regular humbucker sized WR pickups just sound a bit off.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    jpttaylor said:
    I’ve not paid much attention to the Cunife pickups since they’ve been released/reissued, but surely the Wide Range humbucker’s sound is defined by both the magnets and the overall larger surface area? Hence why most regular humbucker sized WR pickups just sound a bit off.
    As magnets go CuNiFe is defined as a relatively weak magnet with very poor permanence. A fair number of pickups that use threaded magnets (and maybe would have you believe they use CuNiFe) today use FeCrCo ... Iron Chromium Cobalt not Copper Nickel Iron. 
    To be honest it makes bugger all sound difference apart from FeCrCo magnets will probably keep their charge longer! 
    The most important consideration is that the wide range has relatively weak magnets but placed individually directly under each string for a more 'single coil' vibe in the tone. 
    The other point is that they are quite high winding turn count with relatively thick 42awg wire ... again adding to the single coil 'openness' and good response both in the bass end and treble ... hence 'wide range'. :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Boromedic said:
    The Tele Deluxe thread has got me thinking, and I didn't want to derail that thread! My Squier Tele Custom is amazing value for money, but compared to all my other pickups they lack that handwired sparkle for me.

So I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good replacement set that won't cost loads. Doesn't have to be Cunife happy with a wide range copy. Not even sure what bridge pickup to go with either but happy to be schooled!

Thanks!
    Anyone got a link to the Tele Deluxe thread you mention? I think I need it in my life. Thanks in advance.
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 402
    I can highly recommend Mojo Pickups, I've just put their CUNIFE WRHB in the neck and Esquire bridge and it's sounds glorious. Aggressive on the bridge and smooth and creamy on the neck. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Lebarque said:
    Boromedic said:

Thanks!
    Anyone got a link to the Tele Deluxe thread you mention? I think I need it in my life. Thanks in advance.
    Here ya go!

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/254702/72-telecaster-deluxe-classic-series-vs-vintera#latest

liamon said:
    Thanks for the recommendation, someone else mentioned them above, I'll have another look :)

Vintage-T said:
    I can highly recommend Mojo Pickups, I've just put their CUNIFE WRHB in the neck and Esquire bridge and it's sounds glorious. Aggressive on the bridge and smooth and creamy on the neck. 
    I do like Mojo, I have a set of their PAFs so may look at them, pricey though but he does make great pickups.

jpttaylor said:
    I've only tried the WR-sized ones and only without Cunife! (I assume mine are FeCrCo- that's nice to know @OilCityPickups that it doesn't make much difference :) )